Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 AM

733 posts, read 935,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
African is a nationality not a race. Cuban would also be a nationality. One only holds nationality in the country that they are citizens of. You apparently don't know the difference between race and nationality. Hispanic is an ethnic group/culture.
If African is a nationality wouldn't that have to mean Africa is a nation?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 AM

62,606 posts, read 28,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's hilarious really.

The only reason the Obama administration agitated this case into existence was they mistakenly thought Zimmerman was white.

And O's Bots are SO brainwashed they don't even believe their own eyes.
He is Jewish and Hispanic. Hispanics originated in Spain and they were white. Zimmerman is of mixed race.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So is he white or Hispanic? I'm confused because you can get free money for school and preferential admission if you are Hispanic, but not white.
Hispanics are partially white racially because their ancestors came from Spain and were white. Most Hispanics in this country are of mixed race....white and native indian. Hispanic is a culture not a race however.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
If African is a nationality wouldn't that have to mean Africa is a nation?
You're correct. But calling someone African-American is like calling someone a European-American. You're either American or you are not. Why describe oneself by two continents or one continent and a nation?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,641,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
he's half White, doesn't matter if he looks it or not, he is.
Same goes for Obama. Doesn't matter if he looks it or not, he is half white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That bit of racisim by the media has gone unnoticed.

Claiming a person who is half latino to be white as a default is to be racist.

Looks like the libs will lose the latino vote.
Sounds pretty straightforward and logical to me.

Quote:
African is a nationality not a race. Cuban would also be a nationality. One only holds nationality in the country that they are citizens of. You apparently don't know the difference between race and nationality. Hispanic is an ethnic group/culture.
So, if one only holds nationality in the country that they are a citizen of, why is our country full of citizens who call themselves African Americans? Isn't it time for them to become fully "Americans"? They're not African hyphenated anything. At most, they are Black Americans.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,916,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That bit of racisim by the media has gone unnoticed.

Claiming a person who is half latino to be white as a default is to be racist.

Looks like the libs will lose the latino vote.
latino can be white, it can also be black. Where do you get that latino is an "other than".

ask these Latinas if they are "white"?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Same goes for Obama. Doesn't matter if he looks it or not, he is half white.

Sounds pretty straightforward and logical to me.

So, if one only holds nationality in the country that they are a citizen of, why is our country full of citizens who call themselves African Americans? Isn't it time for them to become fully "Americans"? They're not African hyphenated anything. At most, they are Black Americans.
Yes, they should be calling themselves black-Americans not African-Americans.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,723,514 times
Oldglory I enjoyed reading your post. Too many don't understand nationality. And when you have citizenship of one country you should be called that. Now there is dual citizenship. But I believe you have to have a main one. Show where your loyalties reside.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,353,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I've honestly never read that as a descriptor of race/nationality/origin until recently in some of the recent GZ media reports.
What is he were black and from Cuba? Would he be a "African Cuban-American Hispanic"?

Does that mean Barack Obama is a 'white African American'?
Most hispanics are indeed white, so the description is accurate. A black hispanic would be used to describe a black Cuban person.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,223,280 times
Quote:
Hispanics are partially white racially because their ancestors came from Spain and were white. Most Hispanics in this country are of mixed race....white and native indian. Hispanic is a culture not a race however.
Ok, so in other words I can check the Hispanic box anytime there is a form with race on it correct? None of my government ID's have my race on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies