Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"White Hispanic" suited the media for the propaganda they fed the people.

This was my problem with the designation.

Ordinarily, I believe people should identify with whatever they feel most comfortable. If he wants to be Peruvian over American despite being born and raised here, go for it.

But you KNOW the media saw the name "Zimmerman," gushed at the thought of a white-on-black crime, and then had to dial it back once they saw that this guy didn't look like a Viking or something.

So, they finally discovered the "white Hispanic".... interesting, of course, because while I would consider someone like Marco Rubio or Sophia Vegara (who is blonde in real life) a "white Hispanic," George Zimmerman kinda fits the EXACT definition of a mestizo/mixed race Hispanic.

If a guy that looked like Alexander Skarsgard shot George Zimmerman, the media would have run with, "White guy shoots Latino! Racism in America persists!"

We'll try to see if they remember that next time they publish a story gushing about the rise in population of Latinos in comparison to "whites"!

In away, it may open up a more honest discussion on ethnicity in America. But I don't find most news people to be very smart, just agenda driven.

---- and in the end, ALL of it distracted from the real issues in the case and how Self Defense does or should work in these kind of cases.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
You already get plenty of "benefits" and advantages as a white man.
Nevertheless, I intend to check Hispanic on all future employment paperwork.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This was my problem with the designation.

Ordinarily, I believe people should identify with whatever they feel most comfortable. If he wants to be Peruvian over American despite being born and raised here, go for it.

But you KNOW the media saw the name "Zimmerman," gushed at the thought of a white-on-black crime, and then had to dial it back once they saw that this guy didn't look like a Viking or something.

So, they finally discovered the "white Hispanic".... interesting, of course, because while I would consider someone like Marco Rubio or Sophia Vegara (who is blonde in real life) a "white Hispanic," George Zimmerman kinda fits the EXACT definition of a mestizo/mixed race Hispanic.

If a guy that looked like Alexander Skarsgard shot George Zimmerman, the media would have run with, "White guy shoots Latino! Racism in America persists!"

We'll try to see if they remember that next time they publish a story gushing about the rise in population of Latinos in comparison to "whites"!

In away, it may open up a more honest discussion on ethnicity in America. But I don't find most news people to be very smart, just agenda driven.

---- and in the end, ALL of it distracted from the real issues in the case and how Self Defense does or should work in these kind of cases.
And according to the Census Bureau most Hispanics identify with "some other race" over White or Black.
"Some other race" was the third most checked item on the census after White and Black.
Ethnicity showed they were of various Hispanic origins.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
mutt..
Many of us are mutts.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He is Jewish and Hispanic. Hispanics originated in Spain and they were white. Zimmerman is of mixed race.
Zimmerman is the "son of Gladys (née Mesa) Zimmerman, who was born in Peru, and Robert Zimmerman, Sr., a retired Virginia magistrate. He was raised as a Catholic, in a family that his father has described as "multiracial;" his father is a white American of German descent and his mother is Peruvian with some black ancestry through her Afro-Peruvian maternal grandfather."

Peruvian people are "Amerindian 45%, mestizo (mixed Amerindian and white) 37%, white 15%, black, Japanese, Chinese, and other 3%."

In other words, Zimmerman has some black ancestry. If anyone has information that is contrary to this, I'd be interested in knowing where it came from.

For ME, I wonder how many people are sickened that everything being discussed is broken down to colors. Black, brown, yellow, white.... That so many are STILL using colors as an excuse shows me that the United States will never become color blind, and whose fault is that? Seems to me that a LOT of anger on the parts of those whose skin is darker than my Irish ancestry are carrying the bitter anger of their ancestors, ancestors that mine had nothing to do with, and using it as a catalyst to keep the chasm so wide, there's no way of crossing over. And those with fair skin live in a bubble of superiority, or know they can't do a thing to change things or just don't give a chit.

Can we ever fill that gap and find common ground? I don't believe so. Not in my lifetime. It would take an amazing regrouping of the societal divisions that are, through no fault of their own, and offering everyone a fresh start. Laughable, isn't it? You can't even imagine it happening, huh? It's impossible... and we all know it. And so the anger and hatred continues to fester and explode.

To come to a place of "even steven" would mean that an entire grouping would have to give up their anger, their resentment, their attitudes, and remove the chip off their shoulders, and start to assimilate into a nation that differs from their past. And the other groups would have to accept that there's no difference between ANY OF US, and be inclusive, respectful, and open to new ideas and challenges. *and no, that's not a black and white divisional representation... it's ALL colors*

People aren't wired that way. We're wired so poorly..... "Intelligent Design" <----pfffft~ It fails us. We're disasters, as humans. Our bodies fail us. Our minds fail us. Our thoughts fail us. How could we possibly let go of all the anger and allow acceptance in, if 'this guy' won't?! "Well, if HE'S not gonna, then I'M certainly not gonna!" ...... ugh

Yeah, sorry..... kinda got lost about the point of this thread and followed those down the whole Zimmerman ancestry tunnel. My apologies.

bullie~

Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Hispanic is a racial category for employment applications.
But it still isn't a racial question it's an ethnicity question.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 AM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
Hispanics are partially white racially because their ancestors came from Spain and were white. Most Hispanics in this country are of mixed race....white and native indian. Hispanic is a culture not a race however.
Not all of them actually have heritage from Europe, you can be a full blooded Indio from Mexico but identify as Hispanic because the Mestizo culture didn't teach you about your native heritage you just identify as Hispanic, or you can have black and taino heritage and come here from the Dominican Republic and identify as Hispanic because it's what you most closely identify with.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
You're correct. But calling someone African-American is like calling someone a European-American. You're either American or you are not. Why describe oneself by two continents or one continent and a nation?
Because you feel both of them define you?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM

437 posts, read 649,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Because you feel both of them define you?
AND if you have the bloodline in you, from either your parents or grandparents, or further back, THEY are a part of you, so the ancestry is as well.

Identifying with a Nation you weren't born in doesn't negate that it's still a Nation you connect with/to.

bullie~
Irish American some days..... American other days.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Nevertheless, I intend to check Hispanic on all future employment paperwork.
You might not want to do that unless you speak Spanish. Many employers are looking for Hispanics to hire just because they speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies