Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I can only speak for myself when I say I have plenty of empathy but that empathy doesn't stretch to running out and burning something down, looting, destroying private property or blocking freeways or remaining silent while it happens.
Nor I'm happy to say does that empathy lend itself to agreeing with vengeance via the DOJ or money grubbing via a civil suit when the case wasn't even a close call.
Oh, as for being respectful about the verdict? That so called "respect" is showing up now and for the last two days by them remaining silent, talking through their paid mouthpiece while all this goes on.
What the protesters and rioters are doing has nothing to do with the parents. The parents are clearly in grief over the loss of their son. And since conservatives love to bring up OJ, that is why I mentioned him. He was found not guilty by a criminal court, but lost all of his money in the civil trials. Nobody seems to object to that, but the idea of the Martin family going after Zimmerman in a civil suit is a huge problem. Idk how you think that the case was so cut-and-dry. The prosecution had to prove that Zimmerman was guilty; the defense did not have to prove Zimmerman's innocence. Both people involved in this terrible incident were extremely stupid and handled it very poorly. One is now dead, and the other will live in fear for the rest of his life. Extremely sad.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What I do find interesting is the same people that corrupted the occupy movement are now involved in this "protest" and nobody is demanding they stop it.
Revolution?
Really???
Agreed, the problem with these protests is that they get perverted beyond belief. Look at Rodney King's riots on April 29, 1992. It went from protesting the not guilty verdict for assaults by racist cops on a black man into rioting and looting from local businesses. VERY far cry from being disheartened from the original cause of the protests.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OH my gosh, where is your common human empathy? These parents are grieving, and this case was not "open and shut" when it comes to the culpability of Zimmerman. If your unarmed child had been shot and killed, what would you do if the killer was acquitted - just drop the subject?
Excellent point.

From what I've seen from the parents on tv, they have been far more reserved and calm given the tragedy they have been dealing with. Can't say the same about the critics trying to demonize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
"People like the Martins?"

More hate and disrespect for grieving parents.

Something else - there is every likelihood that Zimmerman will be trying to profit from his new found celebrity with books, interviews, etc.; why should he cash in on the death of their son?

I hope there is a way to get around that immunity bull crap and that Trayvon's parents win a civil suit and basically neuter him in such a way that every dime that he makes ends up going directly to them.
I think the family should drop their current legal & PR team and get people that can actually win their civil suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies