Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM

370 posts, read 247,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Why should an individual be subject to special treatment based on a broad statistical assumption, which in effect amounts to forcing him to absorb someone else's assumptions about him based on the actions of those unrelated to him?

Great.I agree..it's LONG past the time to do away with affirmative action and all the other government programs that discriminate against white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
Great.I agree..it's LONG past the time to do away with affirmative action and all the other government programs that discriminate against white people.
Sure. I would rather we do away with any policies that take race into account in their implementation. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, those who oppose AA have little problem justifying racial profiling. Same principle, different goals and tactics.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Sure. I would rather we do away with any policies that take race into account in their implementation. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, those who oppose AA have little problem justifying racial profiling. Same principle, different goals and tactics.

racial profiling occurs in all human beings...yes..even negroes do it...that's just how the real world works.

You saying that the government making laws that favor one race over another somehow eradicates "racial profiling" is as weak an excuse as I've ever heard.
Are negroes still not capable of competing with white people on their own? How much longer should we have government intrusion that passes laws like aa?
a hundred more years? 500? or forever as eric 'my people' holder said recently....

If this country lasted a thousand more years...and it won't...but if it did... negroes would still be using "racism" and "slavery" as their excuse for their continued inability to assimilate in america.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
racial profiling occurs in all human beings...yes..even negroes do it...that's just how the real world works.

You saying that the government making laws that favor one race over another somehow eradicates "racial profiling" is as weak an excuse as I've ever heard.
Are negroes still not capable of competing with white people on their own? How much longer should we have government intrusion that passes laws like aa?
a hundred more years? 500? or forever as eric 'my people' holder said recently....

If this country lasted a thousand more years...and it won't...but if it did... negroes would still be using "racism" and "slavery" as their excuse for their continued inability to assimilate in america.
Racial profiling isn't a "natural" instinct. It is learned. You either believe nobody deserves special treatment under the law or you don't.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Racial profiling isn't a "natural" instinct. It is learned. You either believe nobody deserves special treatment under the law or you don't.

Human beings always group together with those that are like them. It's a sociological fact. To deny that will end this conversation.

So...how much longer do you think negroes will need their special anti white laws? You're saying that after all these years a they are STILL incapable of competing with white people on an even field and need the government to take care of them?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Really? Just arrest everybody then. What many people dont understand as well as this guy is that racial profiling only applies to agents of the govt. ie: police dept. Zimmerman was not a cop. He was just a guy like the majority of the populace. He is free to think how he wants and follow people around at night or during the day. I can follow you around the block or the mall or the grocery store if I want.

That said, zimmerman got his ass kicked by a seventeen year old. He shouldn't have followed the kid unless he saw trayvon perpetrate a crime. So, zimmerman is guilty of using poor judgement and lack of common sense. Unfortunately, a young man is dead because he chose to react to being followed in an unwise manner and it cost him his life.
How could he have reacted in a wise manner? He was obviously scared that this guy was following him around for no reason.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
profiling works...always has

everything you do, say, and are becomes part of a profile

if a employment profiler (aka headhunter) is looking for a 747 pilot, do you think they are going to be looking at a pool of truck drivers?

if a 7/11 is robbed by a 6'1" back man, do you think the bolois going to state be on the look out for a 5'0" asian woman???

if a church is looking for a christian pastor to replace the retired on, do you think they will ask at the temple for a spare rabi??

if with using your grocery store card, it is profiled that you always buy Gillette razor blades, do you really think you will get a coupon for a remington blade???
The point remains that is is wrong to profile every member of a certain group and treat them as if they are criminals. Your examples are not examples of profiling.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Human beings always group together with those that are like them. It's a sociological fact. To deny that will end this conversation.

So...how much longer do you think negroes will need their special anti white laws? You're saying that after all these years a they are STILL incapable of competing with white people on an even field and need the government to take care of them?
I group together with folks who share my values, outlook, and interests. Interestingly enough, you are actually arguing for aa and you don't even realize it. Since, according to you, prejudice is "natural", then, if you assume that aa is a policy built upon anticipation of and response to this natural phenomenon, then you would have to agree that aa is just as "natural" and necessary.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because our brains have only so much computing power. The truth is, we profile everyone. We have a preconceived notion of a young woman, a child, an old woman, a Chinese woman, a poodle, a Rottweiler, a kitten, a tiger....the list goes on and on and on. If we had to size everyone/thing we meet up from the ground up, we'd overload our brains. So we put them in categories based on what we normally expect when we see someone who fits into that category and start from there.

I will admit to doing a chicken wing while holding my purse when I go tot he mall and see the gangs of kids hanging around. My experience tells me that gangs of kids are trouble. Are they all? Nope but I'm going to err on the side of caution and protect myself. I also don't pick up hitchhikers. Are they all serial killers? Nope but I err on the side of caution. We all do whether we admit it or not.
You are right, then, in saying that your brain only has so much computing power. "Gangs?"

Your use of this word tells me that you are not looking at this situation without bias.

Quote:
That said, I love it when people prove the stereotypes wrong. If that happens enough, the stereotype changes.

How different this could have been if TM had turned around and talked to Zimmerman without using his fists. How different this could have been if he'd risen above the stereotype instead of reinforcing it.
You don't know how TM talked or didn't talk to Zimmerman.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Who goes to prison for possessing pot, these days?
Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies