Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM

563 posts, read 807,256 times

Advertisements

"Those who takes away others liberty, to gain security for themselves, deserve neither" A shame the ones who are the biggest trumpeters for liberty only do it for themselves and not afraid to take away others. And all your ad hominem attacks about "being emotional," and "communist!" is highly amusing. Is the Bill of Rights all "emotion" now, some should have it, and others not? Accusing people of being communist belongs in the 1950s with McCarthy. And "political correctness", well kids, just as Santa Claus exists as much as you want to, it doesn't exist. If we were to go completely by logic, we should profile everyone because every group commits crime, and the only solution is take away everyone's rights.

And the NYC bill that you claim "it'll ban cops from identifying a suspect's age, gender, color or disability." Here is the bill's text itself: http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Legi...9-C51E15182DBF It does require that race or any other category "can not be the sole determinate factor in making a police stop."

Last edited by never-more; 07-16-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times

Racial profiling....

profiling by race to decide who gets all the national rage and who doesn't...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

Racial profiling....

So how about the countless numbers of black kids that go missing but are never covered by the national news. Or even regional news in many cases. Sometime you just see what you want to see.

I imagine this happens quite frequently and few of the stories break through. And based on typical sentence patterns, I am sure that boy's killer is sitting in jail right now.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So how about the countless numbers of black kids that go missing but are never covered by the national news. Or even regional news in many cases.
You're just flailing your arms here.

Quote:
Sometime you just see what you want to see.

That's a two way street isn't it?

Quote:
I imagine this happens quite frequently and few of the stories break through. And based on typical sentence patterns, I am sure that boy's killer is sitting in jail right now.
So, you're saying black people kill white people with such frequency that it cannot be reported because all it will do is cement the facts?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM

563 posts, read 807,256 times
Quote:

Racial profiling....

I think this is what makes the media so irritating is that it tries to be both biased in favor of whites (see, missing White woman syndrome) and yet shine itself as anti-racist (see Trayvon Martin coverage) What really goes on in the media, is that it demands the highest profits possible, and why they never hold a consistent pattern.

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a thought.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
And the NYC bill that you claim "it'll ban cops from identifying a suspect's age, gender, color or disability." Here is the bill's text itself: The New York City Council - File #: Int 1080-2013 It does require that race or any other category "can not be the sole determinate factor in making a police stop."
If it was, that wouldn't be proper profiling. Nobody profiles on race alone. That would be idiotic and ineffective.

The rest of your post is based on a completely faulty premise. Nobody's rights are being violated. We do not put people in jail for fitting any profile.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Respect is earned. First off racial profiling is rarely solely about race. Your non-verbal cues come into play as well. Elderly Black men are rarely profiled. The fact is that young Black males commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime in this country. Until this is reduced folks have every right to view young black men with suspicion even Jesse Jackson does it.
indeed.

Quote:
There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.
-J. Jackson, 1996

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Respect is earned. First off racial profiling is rarely solely about race. Your non-verbal cues come into play as well. Elderly Black men are rarely profiled. The fact is that young Black males commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime in this country. Until this is reduced folks have every right to view young black men with suspicion even Jesse Jackson does it.
Yeah but you won't hear about that. I can't help my gender or my age, but profiling in that case is of course perfectly valid.

I've got to laugh at these morons who think that a young white guy goes through life never being screwed with by cops. They are deluded.

My advice? Dress properly, and most importantly, don't pack your car full of people. This will probably reduce the number of times you get pulled over by a good 95%, literally. Worked for me.

It ain't pretty but there's no good side or bad side here. The statistical analysis results in what it does. We can ignore it or not, both have their pros and cons.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
You're just flailing your arms here.

That's a two way street isn't it?

So, you're saying black people kill white people with such frequency that it cannot be reported because all it will do is cement the facts?
No I am saying unarmed innocent people are killed with more frequency than we realize. No matter what ethnicity they are. Very few stories break through.

But to be frank, very few cases with black victims of any type make it through to the national media. Or Asian people or Latinos.

And is you are poor and white your story isn't covered either.

It, like everything else in the US is a class/power problem. Some people just like to spin it as race to make it more divisive.

Heaven forbid we get the 99% working together for revolution.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No I am saying unarmed innocent people are killed with more frequency than we realize. No matter what ethnicity they are. Very few stories break through.

But to be frank, very few cases with black victims of any type make it through to the national media. Or Asian people or Latinos.

And is you are poor and white your story isn't covered either.

It, like everything else in the US is a class/power problem. Some people just like to spin it as race to make it more divisive.

Heaven forbid we get the 99% working together for revolution.
You won't get any revolution done when the country believes the biggest hurdles to justice are the Zimmerman case and gay marriage rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies