Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA! Following someone is not a crime. Attacking someone who is following you is.
Not if the person doing the attacking is in fear of their life or of great bodily harm. Zimmerman chasing after him and then reaching quickly into his pocket or indicating he has a gun would be sufficient for Martin to fear for his life.

Quote:
When I took self defense, I was taught to walk quickly to somewhere where I could get help if I was being followed. Turning around and attacking could be a death sentence.
Yeah, so would getting out of your car and chasing someone in that dark that you have already stated might be "on drugs" or might have an unknown object in their pants. And which of the two had the neighborhood watch/self defense training? If Zimmerman had an ounce of common sense, all of this would have been avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
So much conjecture here, I don't even know where to begin. There is only one person who knows exactly what happened. Anyone else concocting a storyline is speculating at best, and making s**t up at worst. About 99% of the comments on city-data regarding this case are the latter.

All we know for sure is that (1) George Zimmerman was following Trayvon Martin (against the advice of the police dispatcher); and (2) George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death. A jury (presumably) weighed the evidence and decided it was self-defense. That doesn't mean any of them know exactly what happened.

FOLLOWING SOMEONE IS NOT ILLEGAL!!! Drop this issue already.

DISOBEYING THE POLICE DISPATCHER FOR DOING SOMETHING PERFECTLY LEGAL IS TOTALLY WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS. Please drop this too.

Nobody in the world can order you to stop doing something that is perfectly legal! We are not slaves of anybody, certainly not of the police or the police dispatcher.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
FOLLOWING SOMEONE IS NOT ILLEGAL!!! Drop this issue already.

DISOBEYING THE POLICE DISPATCHER FOR DOING SOMETHING PERFECTLY LEGAL IS TOTALLY WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS. Please drop this too.

Nobody in the world can order you to stop doing something that is perfectly legal! We are not slaves of anybody, certainly not of the police or the police dispatcher.
I think you need to calm down. Nowhere in my message did I say that following someone is illegal.

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
So much conjecture here, I don't even know where to begin. There is only one person who knows exactly what happened. Anyone else concocting a storyline is speculating at best, and making s**t up at worst. About 99% of the comments on city-data regarding this case are the latter.

All we know for sure is that (1) George Zimmerman was following Trayvon Martin (against the advice of the police dispatcher); and (2) George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death. A jury (presumably) weighed the evidence and decided it was self-defense. That doesn't mean any of them know exactly what happened.
That's what we do when we try a case. We try to figure out what most likely happened. The most likely scenario here is the one Zimmerman says happened. There was a witness that saw TM on top of Zimmerman beating him. Zimmerman's injuries and TM's lack of injuries are consistent with TM beating Zimmerman. While we'll never know for sure, under our legal system, the benefit of a doubt goes to the defendant and there is reasonable doubt here that this was self defense. You are forgetting that all we need is reasonable doubt. We don't need to know exactly what happened to rule on this.

Last time I checked, following someone did not give them the legal right to beat you nor did it mean you forfeit your right to defend yourself if they chose to beat you. What harm was done by GZ following TM? What if GZ had followed him all the way home? What horrible thing would have happened?

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Hey, do you remember that George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death? What is this "lack of injuries" you speak of?
Will you people just stop the madness already. Your desperation is really bringing out the insanity in what is called "Liberalism".

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
I think you need to calm down. Nowhere in my message did I say that following someone is illegal.
Some people just have trouble hearing things.

When did you bring these up as issues?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The prosecution made a lot of mistakes and the repercussions of those errors will make it hard for any of them to continue doing their jobs.

Alan Dershowitz: Zimmerman Special Prosecutor Angela Corey Should Be Disbarred | RealClearPolitics
I agree, the prosecution on this case was horrible. It should have been fairly easy to paint Martin as the victim and Zimmerman as the assailant but they didn't and the jury had no choice but to let the Zimmerman go free. And now thanks to the prosecutors, he can even get his gun back.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That's what we do when we try a case. We try to figure out what most likely happened. The most likely scenario here is the one Zimmerman says happened. There was a witness that saw TM on top of Zimmerman beating him. Zimmerman's injuries and TM's lack of injuries are consistent with TM beating Zimmerman. While we'll never know for sure, under our legal system, the benefit of a doubt goes to the defendant and there is reasonable doubt here that this was self defense. You are forgetting that all we need is reasonable doubt. We don't need to know exactly what happened to rule on this.

Last time I checked, following someone did not give them the legal right to beat you nor did it mean you forfeit your right to defend yourself if they chose to beat you. What harm was done by GZ following TM? What if GZ had followed him all the way home? What horrible thing would have happened?
The bad thing is, Zimmerman is a known liar, he lied to the grand jury about his money, so how can you trust his version? The prosecutors should have slammed him for that.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Not if the person doing the attacking is in fear of their life or of great bodily harm. Zimmerman chasing after him and then reaching quickly into his pocket or indicating he has a gun would be sufficient for Martin to fear for his life.

Yeah, so would getting out of your car and chasing someone in that dark that you have already stated might be "on drugs" or might have an unknown object in their pants. And which of the two had the neighborhood watch/self defense training? If Zimmerman had an ounce of common sense, all of this would have been avoided.

Excellent post - would have repped you but couldn't.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
One of the key timeline issues the defense pointed out was the amount of time Martin had to get home after initially running from Zimmerman. This allowed the defense to separate the two incidents... i.e. Zimmerman profiling/following Martin was disconnected from Martin "assaulting" Zimmerman. Combine that with the physical injuries that Zimmerman received and the lack of injuries (other than the GSW) to Martin, and it's easy to see how the defense won the trial.

In hindsight, do you think the prosecution should have more forcefully introduced the theory that it was Martin who was acting in self defense? After all, the Florida self defense/stand your ground law doesn't require a person in fear of their life (evidenced by Martin initially running from Zimmerman) to retreat... thus there was no requirement for Martin to run home, and he was well within his rights to lay in wait for Zimmerman and jump out in self defense as Zimmerman walked through the neighborhood searching for Martin.

It just seems to me that the defense was able to win this case by separating the two confrontations between Zimmerman and Martin... and the prosecution, by sitting idly, allowed that swap of aggressor/self defender.
That sounds about right to me, Zim was the aggressor and Trayvon was standing his ground. After all, it wasn't Trayvon following Zim, Zim was deliberately following Trayvon to invoke a confrontation, even after the dispatcher told him not to pursue that individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies