Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I found this while looking for a source which said that the State did not use all their peremptory strikes in jury selection of Zimmerman trial.

Interesting analysis of Juror B37's questioning by both attorneys.

"Less than two days after a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the death of Trayvon Martin, juror B37, one of the six members of the anonymous panel, signed with a literary agent to shop her book about the trial.

The news comes with a bonus video: juror B37’s entire voir dire captured on film and promoted Monday by Gawker. The process by which counsel on each side of the case interviews prospective jurors is revealing in all kinds of ways and a useful lesson in the strengths and weaknesses of the jury system ...

Start with the general observations already raised in Gawker: B37 consumes no media beyond the Today showno radio, no Internet news, and no newspapers used for anything but lining her parrot's cage. Perhaps because she does not consume any media, she was under the false belief that there were “riots” after the Martin shooting. She also described the Martin killing as "an unfortunate incident that happened."

"What about the odd moment when B37 called Martin a “boy of color”? White says he wouldn’t read too much into it. “There's a tendency to over-emphasize what we believe to be the right nomenclature. In the context of the whole paragraph, her ’boy of color’ sounded like she was trying to use a dimly remembered correct nomenclature (’of color’ in vogue when I was in college), but not remembering the freight of ’boy.’ ... Sure, you strike people based on really clear examples of nomenclature. As a prosecutor in a hate crime case, I once struck someone who said ’I have no problem with African Americans or whatever you're supposed to call them these days.’ But most people don't live in our terminology-conscious bubble."

Zimmerman trial juror B37: Why did prosecutors let her on the Trayvon Martin jury? - Slate Magazine
Allow me to throw a wrench into this discussion for a moment.

I wonder if any of the jurors have been made aware of Zim's past history of anger, brushes with the law and violence? It was conveniently left out of the trial.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The prosecutor asked Rachel is using terms like "creepy ass cracker" is how "people speak in her culture," and Rachel said yes. So blame the prosecutor if you have a problem with it. We told you when she testified the jury wouldn't relate to her. You gushed about how "authentic" she was and how that's how everyone in Little Haiti speaks.

Most people can't relate to people who can't speak properly and don't read cursive.

It has nothing to do with race. I bet Captain Carter has never called anyone a creepy ass cracker.

BTW- You're wrong again all over this thread. The prosecution had challenges left. They didn't even try to challenge this juror. They weren't stuck with her, they accepted her with no challenge.
Maybe I should be flattered that you're so obsessed with me that you read my every post looking for what you perceive to be "right" or "wrong"? I have noticed that you have been unable to answer my post about "Bernie" and all those Brady violations....you know, the ones you accused "Bernie" of committing in death penalty cases. Is that because your post was WRONG or was it because you were mistaken?

Guess you are unaware that Rachel has a speech impediment as well as being raised in a very different culture from yours. The world is getting smaller every day, and those who refuse to expand and learn are on the way out......losing ground every day.

I continue to think that Rachel was very authentic and found her testimony enormously believable. As for the juror who has spoken out and said she didn't understand a lot of what Rachel said, SHE SHOULD HAVE ASKED THE COURT TO HAVE RACHEL'S TESTIMONY READ BACK BY THE COURT REPORTER. That was a very big failure on the part of that juror and allowed her to just go on her merry racist way.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Allow me to throw a wrench into this discussion for a moment.

I wonder if any of the jurors have been made aware of Zim's past history of anger, brushes with the law and violence? It was conveniently left out of the trial.
Zimmerman's past brushes with the law were not legally admissible, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies