Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Maybe. However, how many juror's have had interactions with murderer's? Rapists? Pedophiles? So now when we pick a jury, we must make sure the juror has interactions with every possible identifiable background of the accused? Race, color, creed, political, and don't forget religious.

Sure, lets just blame the jury and juries, for a POS case, which should have never have been prosecuted in the first place. How about people blame who should be to blame here? The prosecutor for even wasting the time trying the case; not too mention, the massive amounts of money it is now costing taxpayers all across this country.
I don't blame the jurors. I believe they did the best they could with the case they were presented.

I blame the prosecution for putting on a terrible case, showing the jury all of George's videos and re-enactments, and not better preparing their two KEY witnesses, Rachel Jeantel, and the Medical Examiner.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Right! And then she referred to the lady who suffered a home invasion. And she referred to all the robberies they had had at the complex. Was that ever presented to the jury? The history of burglaries at the Retreat at Twin Lakes?
Yes. It was presented to them as Zimmerman's motivation for being vigilant about a stranger in the neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Incorrect. She said it was not about racial profiling. And there is a difference between stating that someone looked suspicious and stating it was so based on race.

People profile everyday. Judgments are made about the people in line in front of us at Starbucks, it is human nature. But, racial profiling is when someone looks guilty to you because of their race. Not their behavior.
Trayvon's behavior wasn't that strange though.

If George had seen a white woman strolling around in the rain looking around at the houses, would he have thought that person suspicious? If he had seen a white teenager dressed in shorts and a T-shirt doing that would he have thought that person suspicious? I mean, it was only 7 pm. Lots of people are walking around at that hour. It wasn't 4 a.m.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
True, but B37's sympathies clearly lie with George.

Anderson asked her, "Do you feel sorry for Trayvon?" Her answer was, "I feel sorry for both of them."
Specifically what is wrong with that?

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No evidence he was scared. According to Rachel tonight "creepy cracker" is slang for a cop, security guard. Wonder why Trayvon would be scared of an officer, hmmm?
Jentel said on the witness stand that "Cracka" was a term used in her community for a white person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Yes. It was presented to them as Zimmerman's motivation for being vigilant about a stranger in the neighborhood.
Oh. OK.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Average intelligence but her view of the case mirrored my analysis. It's clear though she hasn't had much interaction with Black people from lower class backgrounds. Probably Black people period.
Maybe with just people like Rachel. I would bet if Anderson had asked her about Captain Carter, she would have found him extremely credible. Or at least I did. He was personable, intelligent, funny, and handsome.

People here kept calling Rachel "authentic" and saying anyone who felt she was a disaster that they were just a racist. But at least the juror interviewed saw her as many of us did here- a poorly educated young lady who didn't seem credible.

And since she was the person who Trayvon spent 7 hours with on his last day, it reflected poorly on him as well.

I think some of that was offset by Sybrina and Trayvon's brother, who presented worlds apart from RJ. But RJ was the friend Trayvon chose for himself and the person he talked to on the phone for hours. She was the only friend we saw.

George's friends presented themselves much better and were more relatable to the middle aged women on the jury.

If the prosecution had a group of Trayvon's friends testifying that came across like his brother and Captain Carter and George's group of friends came across as a bunch of uneducated white trash people, the jury would have related to Trayvon's friends.

It's not about race nearly as much as it is education and presentation.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're correct. It wasn't in the trial. She lost some credibility with me she brought up "looking in windows" and stand-your-ground which wasn't part of the defense at all.

Now we know why she was taking so many notes. I'm sure they all got several proposals from publishers. I honestly don't fault a jury member from wanting to write about the experience, especially if the verdict was controversial. However, I'd rather see the jury members do a book together...each contributing a couple of chapters from their own points of view. This woman obviously didn't struggle with her vote like three others ones did. A while back there was a jury who all went on CNN together and THAT was far more interesting than this woman's.
You do know that any notes you take while on a jury are taken from you and you are not allowed to keep them, right?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Now that B37 has announced she will be writing a book about her experiences as a juror on the Zimmerman trial, and has been interviewed by Anderson Cooper, it seems to me that this trial may have been over the moment jury selection was completed.

It seems that B37 at least viewed this whole thing through her own pre-conceptions. She also mentioned stand-your-ground several times, and that wasn't even Zimmerman's defense.

What do you think?
I think she gave up a several weeks of her life to serve on that jury. One where a bunch of racist morons have threatened the lives of not just the defendant, but the jurors as well. I hope her book sells well. If a lying, hate mongering scumbag like Al Sharpton can get rich off this case, I hope she can make a few bucks as well.

Quote:
No, I mean the fact that she used to have a concealed carry permit. I always thought that with B37 on the jury, there would never be a conviction.

Also, the way she spoke about Rachel Jeantel, that she couldn't understand the way she said things.

She is far removed from Rachel and Trayvon's world.
Who in the heck could understand Rachel? The court had a translator for one of the witnesses, they needed one for her as well. Whatever the hell she was muttering, it wasn't English.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Maybe with just people like Rachel. I would bet if Anderson had asked her about Captain Carter, she would have found him extremely credible. Or at least I did. He was personable, intelligent, funny, and handsome.

People here kept calling Rachel "authentic" and calling anyone who felt she was a disaster that they were just a racist. But at least the juror interviewed saw her as many of us did here- a poorly educated young lady who didn't seem credible.

And since she was the person who Trayvon spent 7 hours with on his last day, it reflected poorly on him as well.

I think some of that was offset by Sybrina and Trayvon's brother, who presented worlds apart from RJ. But RJ was the friend Trayvon chose for himself and the person he talked to on the phone for hours. She was the only friend we saw.

George's friends presented themselves much better and were more relatable to the middle aged women on the jury.

If the prosecution had a group of Trayvon's friends testifying that came across like his brother and Captain Carter and George's group of friends came across as a bunch of uneducated white trash people, the jury would have related to Trayvon's friends.

It's not about race nearly as much as it is education and presentation.
There's a good chance that most of Trayvon's friends would have presented somewhat like Rachel. She said in her interview tonight that her neighborhood was where Trayvon's friends were. Little Haiti is a tough and impoverished neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies