Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM

132 posts, read 122,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
HAHA that's a joke!! There are more African-Americans in NYC and Miami then there are Haitians!!! And most of you are the ones that are committing the crimes and murdering each other!! And second of all, I'm American!! Haiti is NOT my native country! So you making fun of poor people in Haiti attempting to insult me shows your ignorance.
Can you even read? I've repeatedly stated how pathetic and useless you Miami/NYC Haitian-Americans are, and that's a fact.

BTW......you obviously don't know much about anything. WI's have been the most prominent black group in NYC and Miami for some time now and gangs like Jamaican Posse and Zoe Pound have terrorized neighborhoods in both cities for decades. You people are the only folks I've seen who live like 3rd world animals in your native country only to live like 3rd world animals in the country you immigrate to.

Quote:
A minority of whom actually own those beauty supply stores. There have been documentaries made about the Korean monopoly of the black American hair industry. Seriously, don't even get me started.
Not in cities like Atlanta, for example and our online BSS are booming.

Quote:
You should care. Because all these other immigrants are moving forward ahead of you when AA should have been first. My family is not unique. We have Nigerians, Kenyans, Jamaicans, Bahamians, and all these other African and Caribbean black immigrants that have already established themselves into the education and business sector of the country ahead of most African-Americans.
There's plenty of BAs in the education and business sector. You folks aren't ahead of anything and your neighborhoods, like Wakefield, Bronx and Flatbush, Brooklyn pretty much proves that.
When people around the world think of successful black people, they always think of Black Americans, not Haitians, Jamaicans or Nigerians. Sorry if that hurts you.

Quote:
You talk about Haitian communities?
LOL.....the point is that you have too many issues in your own community to worry about. Of course you don't have the intelligence to understand that(go figure). You can't just sprinkle voodoo dust over your problems or attack Black Americans. Get it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
I'm not Haitian scrub. So I wouldn't know. I'm an American. Being Haitian is my ethnicity. And my family moved from Haiti to the U.S. more than 30 years ago. A completely different time. The question you should you should be asking is why almost every neighborhood and city with a majority of African-Americans are a dump? Like the city you live in for example.
Haitian isn't an ethnicity.

And the city i live in? I live in Cochise County, Arizona. I don't live in anything even resembling a city.

So again, if Haitians have these wonderful values that make them so superior to us African Americans, why is Haiti a dump?

Not gonna stop asking that question.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Haitian isn't an ethnicity.

And the city i live in? I live in Cochise County, Arizona. I don't live in anything even resembling a city.

So again, if Haitians have these wonderful values that make them so superior to us African Americans, why is Haiti a dump?

In all fairness, Haiti never stood a chance. Thomas Jefferson worked to stunt Haitis growth and it was occupied by the US and the US installed Papa Doc, a tyrant, into power because he was anti-Soviet.

It's the same story all over the black world: the US government installing tyrants who are anti-communist. From Samuel Doe in Liberia to Mobutu in the Congo. And those few black states that avoided being used as pawns by the US were used as pawns by the Soviets, like Angola and Ethiopia. Fortunately with the Cold War over things are slowly turning the corner. But a few black nations avoided all "Cold War pseudo colonization," like Barbados and Botswana, and of course they are doing pretty well for themselves.

You see, the black word outside the US have reasons...ghetto American blacks? They have excuses. Saying the US backed a tyrant in a country and hence its development was slowed is one thing...saying because "da man be holdin' me down and dat be why ise gots four kids by four women and can't get no job," is an excuse.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Living life as a Black male gives you certain life experiences that no one else has. I have a lifetime membership in the "Brothas" club. Black men can relate to each other in a way no other group can. Regardless of our differences conservative, liberal, light skinned, dark skinned, rich, poor, middle class, gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist. We all are apart of the "Brothas" club. That's a bond that very few understand and no one can brake. The media tries to tare us a part or make us look bad to the world. It will never brake our bond. That's what Brotha-hood is about.

That to me is the experience of the Black man.

Yes and "da brotha's" club beat the living daylights out of me when I was thirteen for wearing an Italian Flag pin on Columbus day. The same club once threw a bottle from the window of a car while calling me the "s" word used to describe Latinos and told me to "go back to the Dominican Republic." The "brotha's club" doesn't listen to the same music I do, enjoy the same past times, or practice the same religion, and I look nothing like "da brothas". So how is my, or people like mine, experience a "black experience"?

Like I said, I call "brotha" my fellow outcasts and social misfits...the Asian art student who dresses in drag, the white German-American kid who wants to play in a goth rock band, the Latino pagan who researches "dead" religions are the people who I consider my "brother", not Tyrone Hightower with his four felony convictions, tenth grade education and two "baby's mammas."

Old 11-04-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't always agree with you but 100% on this one.

Here is the black experience in two easy steps.

1. Are you black?
2. Are you experiencing stuff?

You have the black experience.

Like I said, I have had racist white people say vile, racist things about blacks around me like it was nothing...not just talking about the ghetto, hoodlum blacks (black people vs the N word people) or just good natured not PC jokes, but really mean things. And they didn't think I would mind because I'm only half black...how often does that happen to black people? Or how about black people hating you because you are half black and attacking you thinking you are Latino and then getting mad when you say you are mixed and identify as mixes and not black when ten minutes before they didn't even think you were black Is that the "black experience?"

I think there is a "mixed experience" which, isn't the same as any "black experience"...it may be related, I concede, but it isn't the same thing.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Having one Barack Obama does not mean racism is over. Wake me up when every state has several in politics waiting in the wings, when Fortune 500 companies have a queue of non-white faces passing the middle manager ceiling and when we have a healthy middle class.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Now that I agree with you on.

Does racism exist? HELL YES! Is it as bad as it used to be? HELL NO!

But it is still there. But how to end it? Simply: all non-whites need to understand we're in this together. That's what I hated most about that whole Trayvon Martin farce: the media pitted blacks against Latinos and so many blacks went along without a second thought.

The enemy isn't Latino or Asians, the enemy is the CEO of BET (a white man) who pushes videos that degrade black women. The enemy is the government policies that still do so much harm to Native Americans, the poorest ethnic group in America. The enemy is unfair immigration laws.

Mixed people aren't black, but we are people of color. As such we, along with Latinos, Asians and blacks should stand together...hell, poor whites too.

In the end there are two kinds of people on this Earth: the oppressor and the oppressed. The slave and master, the lord and the serf. Beyond black, white, gay or straight, male or woman there is only one division that matters: Bourgeois and the proletariat.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The OP decided to resurrect this thread.

For the record I did not: I saw a rep for it and saw some other people resurrected it.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Like I said, I have had racist white people say vile, racist things about blacks around me like it was nothing...not just talking about the ghetto, hoodlum blacks (black people vs the N word people) or just good natured not PC jokes, but really mean things. And they didn't think I would mind because I'm only half black...how often does that happen to black people? Or how about black people hating you because you are half black and attacking you thinking you are Latino and then getting mad when you say you are mixed and identify as mixes and not black when ten minutes before they didn't even think you were black Is that the "black experience?"

I think there is a "mixed experience" which, isn't the same as any "black experience"...it may be related, I concede, but it isn't the same thing.
My dad is not mixed and he is VERY light skinned and he has had similar treatment that you have had. As has my younger cousin as she is also very light skinned. She has also been told that the only reason she got a broadcast journalism job was because she was a "light black" and that she should "remember that" because her boss felt it was some sort of threat to her. She quit that job.

But like I said earlier, mixed people who look black or basically "not white" do have a black experience. All black Americans are not dark skinned and get along with each other and never have any strife from blacks or other minorities. It is a multi-faceted experience.

Being black also is nothing horrible. Being mixed isn't either. Instead of trying to distance oneself from "the black experience" you should embrace it since it is a part of you. The things you describe in the quote above are "black experiences." Especially the part about the politically incorrect jokes. I don't look mixed at all. I have a hue similar to Queen Latifah and have natural, thick hair down my back and big lips and an African nose. People most certainly know I am not half black or latina, but I had someone tell a stupid semi-racist joke around me just this past weekend. I just check them when they do it, but in a kind of motherly "you-are-being-bad-and-stupid" sort of way lol. And I don't let it get to me.

I'm sure I've said it earlier in the thread, but you seem young and as such don't have a lot of experiences in this world. Eventually you will grow and not care so much about labels - either labeling yourself or labeling others - those things are not important. You are black and Italian. So you have a black experience and an Italian American experience. Just because you fit neither stereotypical image of a black (thug, listen to rap music, uneducated) or an Italian (Mafioso in training, always eating spaghetti, speaking a certain way, listening to certain music) doesn't mean you don't have both experiences. The more you stop fighting your lineage the easier it will be to just be yourself and make your own label about who you are without caring what other people think.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes and "da brotha's" club beat the living daylights out of me when I was thirteen for wearing an Italian Flag pin on Columbus day. The same club once threw a bottle from the window of a car while calling me the "s" word used to describe Latinos and told me to "go back to the Dominican Republic." The "brotha's club" doesn't listen to the same music I do, enjoy the same past times, or practice the same religion, and I look nothing like "da brothas". So how is my, or people like mine, experience a "black experience"?

Like I said, I call "brotha" my fellow outcasts and social misfits...the Asian art student who dresses in drag, the white German-American kid who wants to play in a goth rock band, the Latino pagan who researches "dead" religions are the people who I consider my "brother", not Tyrone Hightower with his four felony convictions, tenth grade education and two "baby's mammas."
You just enjoy making stuff up, don't you?

The chance that some dudes beat you up for wearing an Italian Flag pin is absolutely zero. Same for the bottle story.

Look, you've got some serious axes to grind. But hey, that's your problem.

You need some serious help.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Wow @ the craziness in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter;32082425[B
]Haitian isn't an ethnicity.[/b]

Haitians are an ethnic group...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies