Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
No, I want a real answer but I'm only getting ad hominem attacks. What is "the black experience"? I am attacked for asking the question but no one is answering it.

I don't know what I'm talking about, of course: because I feel no connection to what the blacks are interested in. I lived around them but I never shared their...ah, passions? Their culture is lost to me and I am perplexed by the way they live.

So, is that the discrimination? Well, do you know the discrimination gay white males go through in their day to day lives? How about Asian Americans? Are they black too?

You may as well say "discriminated against in America" and not "black in America," because blacks are not the only people discriminated against.

Other than discrimination, which we know many people besides blacks go through, what is "the black experience?"

No one has been able to answer the question. Wonder why
Because you don't want an answer. You want to attack an entire race of people because you don't like a documentary on CNN. In your myopic little world, the "black experience" is pigs feet, gangs, churches, and break dancing.

Grow the hell up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
hell yeah.

Love that guy. Great guitarist, unfortunately, he died stupidly.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Love that guy. Great guitarist, unfortunately, he died stupidly.

Hre is more of that non-existant "black experience" . If you don't know Bootsie, you'll never understand what the "black experience" is about.

Bootsy Collins - Ahh... The Name Is Bootsy, Baby - YouTube

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Oh man... more of this "story." How is it that someone who looks Indian, gets laughed at by Black people for being into Goth music? Your stories don't add up.
Another bedwetting "I'm so special" thread by the same damn OP.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Another bedwetting "I'm so special" thread by the same damn OP.
Why does the OP need to remind us on a daily basis that he is biracial??

Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The Unibomber? really?
So if a Unabomber says 2+2=4 you would argue that 2+2=5, right? The guy is dead on.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Why does the OP need to remind us on a daily basis that he is biracial??

Because, in his mind, declarations of being bi-racial (whether true or not) somehow makes his bigotry legitimate.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So if a Unabomber says 2+2=4 you would argue that 2+2=5, right? The guy is dead on.

No, the guy is a psycho murderer, and as far as giving credance to his manifesto, the first time his packages blew someone up pretty much flushed that.

The unibomber....jesus h christ, what next, the green river killer?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
I watched an HORRENDOUSLY AWFUL CNN special called "who is black in America"? not too long ago (basically they concluded that the one drop rule is 100% valid and never questioned it) One black woman said of mixed people who question their ethnicity that they are black because they share the "black experience, even if they don't admit it."

Huh?

What the hell is "the black experience" exactly?

Is the "black experience" about being discriminated against? Well, if that's the cause than I suppose Mestizo Latinos, Asians, gays and women are also black. If that's all it is, than there are a lot of people who share the "black experience."
I don't think anyone knows what "the black experience" actually is. I have been told because I did good in school, that I am not really black. People have their own definition of that based on their experiences and it's usually rooted in ignorance. The thing about it, is there are a lot of black people that don't realize that some of us grew up middle class, poor or even rich. It's just like any other race, where there is diversity within the race, but people make this assumption that we all have the same experiences. Not really true. If you watch ESPN 30 for 30: Fab Five, this is probably the clearest example of the differences in people's upbringing. Jalen Rose thought there was something wrong with Grant Hill to go to a prestigious school like Duke. It's a really backwards way of thinking considering how they both grew up, which was very different.

Quote:
Is it culture? If that is the case than many mixed people (like myself) and blacks don't have the "black experience" either. I am not a fan of black culture: I hate "soul food", do not like rap and hip-hop "music", don't dance well, have no interest in basketball, speak proper American English with a slightly antiquated vernacular occasionally manifesting (I'm an anglophile, forgive me) and the two times I entered a black church I found the experience to be utterly terrifying.
Soul food, although it is popular among blacks, isn't solely a black food. If you go in the south you will find many white people with dixie style establishments that sell many of the same foods. It may have a certain association with the black community but it's not solely black.

Basketball is also not a black thing even though it's popular amongst blacks.

The black church thing is what it is. A large majority of them preach heresy simply because much of the doctrine that is taught is not rooted in the Bible. The history of the black church really derives from slavery time and really more divisive than Biblical so I certain understand your feeling. I go to a ethnically diverse church for that reason, but that doesn't mean I don't understand what it's like to be black, as some will make it seem.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I don't think anyone knows what "the black experience" actually is. I have been told because I did good in school, that I am not really black. People have their own definition of that based on their experiences and it's usually rooted in ignorance. The thing about it, is there are a lot of black people that don't realize that some of us grew up middle class, poor or even rich. It's just like any other race, where there is diversity within the race, but people make this assumption that we all have the same experiences. Not really true. If you watch ESPN 30 for 30: Fab Five, this is probably the clearest example of the differences in people's upbringing. Jalen Rose thought there was something wrong with Grant Hill to go to a prestigious school like Duke. It's a really backwards way of thinking considering how they both grew up, which was very different.

Soul food, although it is popular among blacks, isn't solely a black food. If you go in the south you will find many white people with dixie style establishments that sell many of the same foods. It may have a certain association with the black community but it's not solely black.

Basketball is also not a black thing even though it's popular amongst blacks.

The black church thing is what it is. A large majority of them preach heresy simply because much of the doctrine that is taught is not rooted in the Bible. The history of the black church really derives from slavery time and really more divisive than Biblical so I certain understand your feeling. I go to a ethnically diverse church for that reason, but that doesn't mean I don't understand what it's like to be black, as some will make it seem.
Meh...the black church is the purveyor of the same nonsense that all the other churches push. It's just more harmful in the black community for some reason. If there were two things I could remove from the black community, it would be violence and the church as s primary institution. It had its day, but that day is long gone. Time for black folks to join the rest of the world and toss out that superstition nonsense. I don't understand why we don't wake up and realize that the church was used as a tool for docility during slavery. We don't have to be docile anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies