Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

I have not had time to read all the threads since the Zimmerman verdict. There are no winners here.

Our country can deal with this in a positive way or a negative one. Let's get our country back to work, bring jobs back to America and build our country one step at a time. Let's raise responsible citizens from the ground up.

Oh, you don't have children or you're single? Volunteer, step up. Remember what President Kennedy said? Those were powerful words still repeated today.

We are too media driven. Too much information all the time. We need to know our neighbors again - all of them - maybe those poor girls in Cleveland would not have been in that house for all those years.

Our youth are growing up hearing negatives - we need hope, real hope. We need to care for each other and have compassion for each other. Let's start caring about our communities and making a difference.
Maybe your neighbor works 2 jobs because there's no child support - offer to babysit - for free. Learn to help each other. We have lost that somewhere.

All the money in the world is not going to bring Trayvon Martin or any other person who has been killed in the line of violence back. Do something in his memory - something lasting.

We are so hung up on lawsuits in this country - let's take that time and effort and do something powerful in our neighborhoods, in our schools, in our states.

We lost 26 innocent lives in Newtown, CT in December 2012. Have we forgotten? We lost many lives in Aurora, CO - have we forgotten?

We - including me - need to start making a difference to our neighbors, our communities.

United we stand, divided we fall.

And, start forgiving. We need to heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Excellent post Bette

The whole point is to divide Americans in every way they can. This way it is easier for Obama to work his will. It also helps to keep Americans attention diverted away the Obama administration not doing anything / hurting the creation of jobs, diverting away from the Obama administrations wrong doings.

The media and race baiter Sharpton is exploiting the death of Trayvon.

Last edited by petch751; 07-15-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I can't rep you again, Bette, but I would if I could.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The whole point is to divide Americans in every way they can. This way it is easier for Obama to work his will. It also helps to keep Americans diverted away the Obama administrations wrong doings.

The media and race baiter Sharpton is exploiting the death of Trayvon.
What are you talking about. This is Florida which loves to sensational their trials. This has nothing to do with Obama...sorry, it doesn't. What trials in other states have been on TV.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Lol the country is fine.

This thread and media are the crazies.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 PM

596 posts, read 730,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What are you talking about. This is Florida which loves to sensational their trials. This has nothing to do with Obama...sorry, it doesn't. What trials in other states have been on TV.
Thank you. I pointed this out in another thread as well. I really don't understand the people who claim that Obama is dividing the nation racially. These claims are simply ridiculous. Talking about race in this country is necessary. Turning a blind eye to it and pretending that we all live in a post-racial utopia is ignoring the truth and, quite frankly, a form of denial. The fact that Obama has dared to actually speak about race does not mean that he is trying to divide the country. People who refuse to discuss race remind me of members of a dysfunctional family who like to pretend that they have the perfect family, while in reality all kinds of hell is being raised behind closed doors. It's delusional, and it doesn't help anyone.

I agree that we need to heal, but not talking about it does not facilitate healing. And it's not just about healing from this case either. People need to realize that this case is merely a symptom of a lot underlying issues in this country that people continue to tiptoe around and ignore. Pretending that this country doesn't have any issues does not facilitate healing. People need to stop being automatically defensive whenever anyone mentions race and allow an intelligent, open, and honest dialogue to occur. Whether people like it or not, you often have to deal with some very uncomfortable issues in order to make any progress. That is true in most areas of life. Growth and change do not come easily. Change regarding the issues of race, stereotypes, and gun laws are no different. It takes work, not denial.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
People need to stop being automatically defensive whenever anyone mentions race and allow an intelligent, open, and honest dialogue to occur. Whether people like it or not, you often have to deal with some very uncomfortable issues in order to make any progress. That is true in most areas of life. Growth and change do not come easily. Change regarding the issues of race, stereotypes, and gun laws are no different. It takes work, not denial.
So let's just pretend the verdict was not guilty. And then we can move...... forward.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM

Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile No winners

The media goes after these trials. When OJ happened, all of sudden, a light bulb went on and every station carried it - every day. I mean, who didn't watch that car chase?

I don't think the people of Florida are too thrilled hearing about Casey Anthony from July 2008 to almost 3 years later and now this recent trial.

I didn't say anything about the verdict; I'm sad for our country; I'm sad for the fact that we've lost something in the process.

I just believe in focusing positives out there - I think when Anderson Cooper shows the CNN Heroes, it's a great thing! Not enough of that though.

I'm just tired of people bashing each other no matter who they are. Sorry but I am. We are all people and we should treat each other better.

I have a disability myself and I've had to work for myself and carve out a living due to the discrimination I have faced in my lifetime so I know how that feels from a very young age. We just need to learn how to communicate with each other without yelling, being so negative; you get the idea.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 PM

Bette, it is to keep us from asking questions about the IRS abuse, DOJ going after reporters. All a diversion. Do you think MSNBC will report below or do you think they will go on and on and on about the GZ case? Remember during the election how it was all about taxes and how much people pay? Here is an example of Obama "getting to the bottom of it".

"The Treasury Department has admitted for the first time that confidential tax records of several political candidates and campaign donors were improperly scrutinized by government officials, but the Justice Department has declined to prosecute any of the cases.

Its investigators also are probing two allegations that the IRS “targeted for audit candidates for public office,” the Treasury’s inspector general for tax administration, J. Russell George, has privately told Sen. Chuck Grassley. The investigation did not name the government officials who obtained the IRS records improperly, nor did it reveal the identities or political parties of the people whose tax records were compromised. By law, taxpayer records at the IRS are supposed to be confidential."

Feds admit improper scrutiny of candidate, donor tax records, Justice declines to prosecute - Washington Times

Harry Reid said he got it from an anonymous source. Reid said of Romney "You guys have said his wealth is $250 million. Not a chance in the world. It's a lot more than that." harry reid says anonymous source told him mitt romney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies