U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM

41,824 posts, read 44,134,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Oil corporations are making near record profits. Could this be a cause of high gas prices?
Oil companies make a lot of profit because they sell a lot of product.

Answer this for me.

1) What is the percentage of Exxons net profit compred to other large corporations like Microsoft or Apple.

2)Who owns Exxon and reaps the benefits of those profits?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM

29,409 posts, read 19,756,013 times
The usual rantings about oil companies making profit. They should give their product away for free according to the corporate haters. But like you say Apple can do as they please in the eyes of these folks. All because they are told one entity is evil and one is wonderful by their leaders.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I have no idea what the scary chart is supposed to show. Please explain.
The dirty little secret about renewables is the mandates, this allows producers to sell these products at a high rate. The distributors in this case those blending gasoline need to meet these mandates. If they cannot meet those mandates then they can buy credits, the cost of those credits is what the chart is showing.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Many countries pay far, far more than the US.
Countries in Europe pay a lot for gas because of taxes, it has nothing to do with the cost of the product.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,684,296 times
Yes, I know it's due to taxes. I was responding to the following post.
Americans don't know how good they have it. They pay some of the cheapest prices in the industrialized world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun

I take issue with the claim that gasoline in
the US is expensive. Or why someone is obliged to see to it that it isn't, for
that matter. Wah! Mommy! The price of gas makes me sad! Change it!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM

Same with canada. I read where they buy fuel by the liter and pay around twenty some cents a liter depending on what province your in. Do the ciphering and the gubment is raking it in. Not sure what they use it for. If it's for roads or just goes to the general type fund or what.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 PM

11,770 posts, read 9,096,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, I know it's due to taxes. I was responding to the following post.
Americans don't know how good they have it. They pay some of the cheapest prices in the industrialized world.
True, but Europeans can get cheaper cars that get more mpg than us. We have to spend 2X for a car that gets maybe half the mpg Europeans get.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,684,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Same with canada. I read where they buy fuel by the liter and pay around twenty some cents a liter depending on what province your in. Do the ciphering and the gubment is raking it in. Not sure what they use it for. If it's for roads or just goes to the general type fund or what.
Who pays twenty cents a liter?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 PM

Well I remember reading an article about it a ways back on gas prices. I may be wrong. Don't you folks power most of your vehicles with syrup anyway?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 AM

33,448 posts, read 21,810,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The premise in your very first sentence is wrong. Food and gas prices are not soaring. So your claim that RINS and RFS and RTFMAOS are causing price increases is wrong.

Not soaring, but wages are stagnant and the dollar buys much less.

A depression by any other name...

GDP per capita (constant 2000 US dollar) in the United States

As a professional auto mechanic I can tell you that artificially inflated fuel prices are just part of the cost of EPA tinkering.

Your vehicle wouldn't use as much fuel if it didn't have to comply with EPA mandated emission controls gone wild.

As your engine operates, oxygen sensors in your exhaust system are used by your powertrain control module to alternately feed your catalytic converter(s) excess oxygen and fuel in order to sustain a reaction acceptable to the EPA.

That means your vehicle uses fuel for no other purpose than to maintain tailpipe emissions of HC, CO and NOx at ridiculously low levels.

Also, ignition timing advance and compression ratios are reduced to lower NOx emissions and this causes your engine to produce less power for a given amount of fuel.

This means more fuel is needed to cover the same ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies