Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Regardless of whether you think gas is expensive or not, our food and gas prices are higher than they would normally be due to a mandate that exists to benefit certain members of congress and their big ag cronies.
Food prices and gas prices are indeed higher due to regulations. The operative thought is whether the cost of those regulations are worth the benefit.

I would contend that food would indeed be cheaper if farmers were allowed to use the most toxic and carcinogenic pesticides. However, I don't believe the harm those chemicals cause is worth the reduction in product cost. The same goes for gas. If gasoline refiners were allowed to throw risk and potential harm to the wind, gasoline might be a little cheaper. However, the social cost would be unacceptable.

Last edited by MTAtech; 07-17-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Exxon, Chevron Made $71 Billion Profit In 2012 As Consumers Paid Record Gas Prices | ThinkProgress

Oil corporations are making near record profits. Could this be a cause of high gas prices?

But since republicans will not raise taxes on large corporations and use that money to give regular Americans relief, and since republicans are against any regulation on what oil corporations can charge for gas, I guess republicans are forced to blame Obama and the EPA.
Exxon's profit margin currently stands at about 8.7%

Exxon Mobil Corporation Profit Margin Quarterly (XOM)

Apple's profit margin is well over 20% and has been as high as 30%

Apple Profit Margin Quarterly (AAPL)

I think it is funny that you say Republicans don't want to regulate the price of gasoline - yet Democrats are doing almost everything they can to cause gasoline prices to go up.

Gasoline prices should rise and fall with supply and demand. As it gets more expensive, Americans will buy less and choose more fuel efficient vehicles. It is happening.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Exxon's profit margin currently stands at about 8.7%

Exxon Mobil Corporation Profit Margin Quarterly (XOM)

Apple's profit margin is well over 20% and has been as high as 30%

Apple Profit Margin Quarterly (AAPL)

I think it is funny that you say Republicans don't want to regulate the price of gasoline - yet Democrats are doing almost everything they can to cause gasoline prices to go up.

Gasoline prices should rise and fall with supply and demand. As it gets more expensive, Americans will buy less and choose more fuel efficient vehicles. It is happening.

There haven't been any significant changes in gasoline or oil regulations over the past three years. If one looks at the price of gasoline over the last three years, it rose and fell. To attribute the factor of regulations to that change would get a Statistics 101 student an "F."

Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I didn't say gas is more expensive because of regulations. I believe gas prices fluctuate because of supply (more) and demand (less).

What I did say is Democrats are trying to raise the price of gasoline. They are anti-gasoline. They would like the US to produce less, they want to subsidize other fuels, and tax it more.

BTW - I want to see incentives for oil and gas exploration go away. Just like I want incentives for ethanol to go away.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Food prices and gas prices are indeed higher due to regulations. The operative thought is whether the cost of those regulations are worth the benefit.

I would contend that food would indeed be cheaper if farmers were allowed to use the most toxic and carcinogenic pesticides. However, I don't believe the harm those chemicals cause is worth the reduction in product cost. The same goes for gas. If gasoline refiners were allowed to throw risk and potential harm to the wind, gasoline might be a little cheaper. However, the social cost would be unacceptable.
I was talking about the ethanol mandate specifically, not pesticides.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Government regulations creating higher fuel use.

Why the Government Was Wrong to Shutdown Fung Wah Bus Company

Why the Government Was Wrong to Shutdown Fung Wah Bus Company - Reason.com

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Exxon, Chevron Made $71 Billion Profit In 2012 As Consumers Paid Record Gas Prices | ThinkProgress

Oil corporations are making near record profits. Could this be a cause of high gas prices?

But since republicans will not raise taxes on large corporations and use that money to give regular Americans relief, and since republicans are against any regulation on what oil corporations can charge for gas, I guess republicans are forced to blame Obama and the EPA.
The Obama admin wants high energy costs for fossil fuels, it helps him to push his agenda for green energy and global-freaking-warming. The rub, is that Obama's agenda allows the oil companies get rich off high oil prices.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I was talking about the ethanol mandate specifically, not pesticides.
But the point remains, there are regulations that are beneficial and worth the cost. Ethanol mandate is just plain stupid.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

{snip} (because it was foolishness and not worth quoting)
We all know that we have a lot of folks struggling in this awful economy. No matter who we think is responsible for it, our government is not lifting a finger to make life any easier for us. All i see government doing is interfering, adding new laws and regulations that artificially raise the cost of living.

This is NOT the time to engage in policies that dramatically raise prices for food, energy, health insurance, gasoline, automobiles, clothes, etc... So, are the costs of these regulations worth it? HELL NO! Not now, and yet this is exactly the mode Obama has been in since day one, raise costs without a care, just as long as he pushed his agenda.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But the point remains, there are regulations that are beneficial and worth the cost. Ethanol mandate is just plain stupid.
Exactly, it takes farmland out of food production, and raises the cost of so many products, it's nothing but crony capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies