Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"As a parent, particularly a parent of black teenage boys, I am left with the question, “Now, what do I tell my boys?”

We used to say not to run in public because that might be seen as suspicious, like they’d stolen something. But according to Zimmerman, Martin drew his suspicion at least in part because he was walking too slowly.

So what do I tell my boys now? At what precise pace should a black man walk to avoid suspicion?

And can they ever stop walking away, or running away, and simply stand their ground? Can they become righteously indignant without being fatally wounded?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/op..._20130716&_r=0
Quote:
“Now, what do I tell my boys?”

Telling them not to assault other people would be a good start.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
This is a free country, young hoodlums are free to meander around wearing hoods and peeking in windows and watchmen are free to approach suspicious individuals in hoods to *axe* them "what you doing here homes?"
Keep raising kids to idolize gangster rappers and let them wear hoods that cover their features like little hoodlums and you can expect more of the same.
Wait, so wearing a hood is suspicious?
Walking at a leisurely place is suspicious?

Trayvon Martin was not peeking in windows.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I will say the anti-European hatred comes 100% from the liberals. I have seen so many Europeans brainwashed into hating themselves it makes me sick.

Why on Earth should anyone apologize for being European? The liberals seem to think they should.
Because many feel shame over their heritage because they are guilted by others to do so. My ancestors (parents) moved here from Italy, learned English, became citizens, worked hard, obeyed the law, and did well. I am extremely proud of this and will never apologize for my ancestry.

This is nothing more than a witch hunt. This is not the crusades. You wanted and arrest, got it. You wanted a trial, with jurors picked by the prosecution, you got that. Now that the state couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and a not guilty verdict was delivered, that's not enough. The war drums get pounded and now there's an email address specifically for tips to be sent for a possible fed case? I hope GZ is bunkered down somewhere as he definitely is not safe. If not he is one crazy ass cracka.

Decision has been made, time to move on.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
"As a parent, particularly a parent of black teenage boys, I am left with the question, “Now, what do I tell my boys?”

We used to say not to run in public because that might be seen as suspicious, like they’d stolen something. But according to Zimmerman, Martin drew his suspicion at least in part because he was walking too slowly.

So what do I tell my boys now? At what precise pace should a black man walk to avoid suspicion?

And can they ever stop walking away, or running away, and simply stand their ground? Can they become righteously indignant without being fatally wounded?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/op..._20130716&_r=0

what is a travesty is these kids have had it drilled into their heads that they are ALWAYS treated differently because they are black
horse crap!! who sits in the highest office in the land?? a black man
how is the hell did he get elected if whites did not put him there??
my grandson happens to have a black father
one I might add that has abandoned him
my grandson is being raised to not fear his race or his mother's he is being taught right from wrong good grief
I get nasty looks all the time because I am white I am the type of person that when out I speak to folks and it makes me sick to see that hate and why?? because they are being influenced by lies
D King would not accept what is being done today by scum like Al Sharpton hell he created a HOAX that a black woman was raped and it was proved a lie
why do people listen to this ass hole??
the ones that made this case about race might be looking at you in the mirror

Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You didn't hear the interview of jury member D-37 if you think Stand Your Ground wasn't part of the case. It was included in the jury instructions. As for Stand Your Ground applying equally to everyone, that isn't exactly true, is it. It doesn't apply to someone who isn't carrying a gun, who is using his fists to defend himself against a threat. There was plenty of evidence that Martin was scare of Zimmerman and that Zimmerman was the aggressor following someone in the dark which started the whole thing but a gun trumps fists with the law and when dead men can't tell their side of an altercation.
When TM was on top he was no longer defending himself. It's not reasonable to assume that TM was in fear of his life and acting in self defense when he was on top punching GZ.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
Actually, Martin got special treatment by the Florida legal system when the Grand Jury was bypassed in fear it wouldn't indict Zimmerman.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The case is over...

Florida does what Florida always does...gets it wrong.

And let's just finally admit that the only reason that GZ has 'supporters' is because they are living vicariously through his actions. Had GZ done the exact same thing to a child that looks like theirs then these same folks would be calling GZ an anchor baby and demanding that his mother be shipped back to Peru.
If Zimmerman was black and killed trayvon Martin, under the exact same circumstances, would you care?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
A great article by Charles Blow in the NYTimes about how the legal system failed Trayvon Martin.
Well, the NYT has no credibility left. It's a left wing rag. Nothing more.

Quote:
"The system began to fail Martin long before that night.

The system failed him when Florida’s self-defense laws were written, allowing an aggressor to claim self-defense in the middle of an altercation — and to use deadly force in that defense — with no culpability for his role in the events that led to that point.
First of all, the criminal behavior here was on the part of Trayvon Martin, not George Zimmerman. Martin attacked Zimmeman, without any provocation. That is felony assault.

Secondly, there are guidelines for the use of deadly force in self defense. The law didn't legalize the use of deadly force to simply settle any altercation. One's life must be in danger, or there must be fear of certain great bodily harm or death. This was the case when Zimmerman was attacked by Trayvon Martin, without any provocation by George Zimmerman, and further, Martin told Zimmerman, "You're going to die tonight, mother f---er." I think that constitutes sufficient fear of great bodily harm and/or death, don't you?

Quote:
The system failed him when the neighborhood watchman grafted on stereotypes the moment he saw him, ascribing motive and behavior and intent and criminal history to a boy who was just walking home.
"Just walking home." Right. Then why didn't he go home? He was loitering, and wandering about peeking in windows, according to what Zimmmerman told the dispatcher. He was only minutes away from his doorstep. Why didn't he go home? Why was he loitering? He brought suspicion on himself, and since there was a history of break-ins in the neighborhood, which is why the established a Neighborhood Watch program, I think Zimmerman had good reason to be suspicious. The fact that Martin turned his attention to Zimmerman and took a detour to check him out, walking very close to Zimmerman's vehicle to take a look, only raised Zimmerman's suspicion. But of course, the NYT (and all the other race hustlers commenting on this case) simply ignore the plain facts that led up to this incident.

Zimmerman was not breaking any laws, but he was acting as a citizen interested in the safety of his neiborhood. He did what he was supposed to do; he reported the suspicious activity. Martin had no reason to attack him, except for the fact that he was an angry black teen with a propensity for instigating fights (he had a history of getting into fights, and he enjoyed it).

Quote:
The system failed him when the bullet ripped through his chest, and the man who shot him said he mounted him and stretched his arms out wide, preventing him from even clutching the spot that hurt.
Awe, poor boy. How insensitive. Sorry. No sympathy here for this common thug.
Quote:
The system failed him in those moments just after he was shot when he was surely aware that he was about to die, but before life’s light fully passed from his body — and no one came to comfort him or try to save him.
Such drama! Again, no sympathy. Martin got what was coming to him based on the life he chose for himself. He chose to attack Zimmerman. He didn't have to. He should have been at his father's apartment where he was staying.
Quote:
The system failed him when the slapdash Sanford police did a horrible job of collecting and preserving evidence.

The system failed him when those officers apparently didn’t even value his dead body enough to adequately canvass the complex to make sure that no one was missing a teen.
Now, this is laughable. This is why hardly anybody pays any attention to the NYT.
Quote:
The system failed him when he was labeled a John Doe and his lifeless body spent the night alone and unclaimed.
Where does this come from? There is nothing in this case that shows this? Are you telling us he had no I.D. on his person? Why was a 17 year old boy out at night after dark, with no I.D?
Quote:
The system failed him when the man who the police found standing over the body of a dead teenager, a man who admitted to shooting him and still had the weapon, was taken in for questioning and then allowed to walk out of the precinct without an arrest or even a charge, to go home after taking a life and take to his bed.
This is because the police didn't have reason to doubt his story. It appeared to be a clear case of self defense (which it was, until the race hustlers demanded Zimmerman be charged and prosecuted).
Quote:
The system failed him when it took more than 40 days and an outpouring of national outrage to get an arrest.
Yeah. The race hustlers, organized by none other than Eric Holder, and paid for by the American taxpayers, had decided on there own that Zimmerman must be guilty of murder, and ignored the findings of both the FBI and the Sanford P.D.
Quote:
The system failed him when a strangely homogenous jury — who may well have been Zimmerman’s peers but were certainly not the peers of the teenager, who was in effect being tried in absentia — was seated.
The dictionary defines "peer" as "one of equal standing with another." The jury's legal standing was equal to Martin's. "Peers," does not mean of "same age," "same race," same sex," etc. It means "of equal standing."
Quote:
The system failed him when the prosecution put on a case for the Martin family that many court-watchers found wanting.

The system failed him when everyone in the courtroom raised racial bias in roundabout ways, but almost never directly. "

Certainly the prosecution and the judge displayed a racial bias, in favor of Martin. They sought a conviction of Zimmerman by whatever means, in violation of Brady v. Maryland, a case in which the U.S. Supreme Court established that a prosecutor's responsibility was "to seek justice fairly, not merely win convictions by any means."

Zimmerman should never have been charged, and the prosecutors should be disbarred. Exculpatory evidence was withheld, and none of Martin's history of violence was allowed to be brought into evidence as part of Zimmerman's defense. This was an egregious error on the part of Judge Nelson.

One is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty in our system. In this case, the defense was forced to prove Zimmerman's innocence.

Quote:
I agree, and I hope that Trayvon's death serves as a rallying call for change.
Yes, let's end the race baiting, and shame the race huslers like Sharpton, Jackson, and their ilk, and the NAACP as well, which is nothing but an organization of race hustlers.
Quote:
The question is: what can we as individuals do about this?
We can stop allowing the race hustlers to influence our thinking. This was not about race. It was about felony assault, and a mans right to defend his life in the face of grave danger. It was also about a neighborhood's right to establish a Neiborhood Watch program, without being accused of "profiling." That is a false charge, designed to protect only those who are motivated to do evil.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM

29,432 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Excuses, excuses...

The state failed.
The jury was corrupt.
The police were racist.
Bad prosecution.
Witnesses lied.

Why can people just accept that Trayvon screwed up really bad ?
It's much easier to play the blame game.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
You wanted a trial, you got your trial, the truth came out in the trail, YOU LOST your trial, so just shut up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.