Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Absolutely. All it is "reverse white guilt". Black guilt if you will; the expectation that upstanding blacks should somehow assume responsibility for the actions of the non law-abiding. The more one is burdened by black guilt, the less he is encouraged to hold others accountable for their prejudices against him.
great post. I wouldn't call it reverse white guilt, because white guilt is not a real thing, but what you describe is certainly real.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
arrogance? shame on those uppity celebs thinking they could do things other people in their SES do. I've met Forrest Whittaker. he didn't come across as stuck up or arrogant. he wasn't over friendly, but he wasn't rude. even though we were bugging him for autographs, he wasn't testy or anything. he seems like a very quiet person, actually, and he is well spoken. he was well dressed. the fact that he allowed this employee to frisk him says a lot about the type of person he is. he's a big dude. he could've just walked away from the deli and told the guy to get out of his face. that's what I would've done and I'm an average sized woman.

and the only celebs I heard of being caught shoplifting were white women. but we all know in this society ww are untouchable, so I don't expect anyone to start profiling them.
If we're so untouchable, how are so many arrested, including actors, as you mentioned above.
No need to throw someone else under the bus to try to make your point.

You just lost any support I may have given you and the point you're trying to make.

See how you alienated another person with ridiculous stereotypes and opinions.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM

7,529 posts, read 11,363,895 times
The results of an interesting study:

Quote:
I see a very strong association between some of these problems like gang behavior and violent crime and joblessness. For example, if you look at a recent longitudinal study conducted by my colleague at the University of Colorado -- we are doing a book together -- Delbert Elliot. He found, for example, that by the time white males and black males reached the late 20s, the violent crime ratio is 4 to 1 -- 4 black to 1 white. Much higher violent crime rate among black males. However, when he controlled for employment, there was no significant difference in the violent crime rate between white males and black males. No significant difference.

frontline: the two nations of black america: interview with william julius wilson

Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Those "studies" notwithstanding, they still don't account for the fact that crime is disproportionately represented, per capita for the AA demographic.
No one has denied any statistics. However, I'm talking about individuals. I'm talking about how people are being judged based on the worst of the Black population. That is something I have a problem with. Why should an individual be judged based on what other people have done?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
no one is waiting for "other people to make our lives better", we just want the same rights as everyone else, including the right to be treated as individuals.
Yep. And the very ones who constantly decry special treatment for certain groups have no problem doing just that so long as the special treatment happens to disadvantage the group so treated.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Which proves that idle hands are the devil's handiwork.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If we're so untouchable, how are so many arrested, including actors, as you mentioned above.
No need to throw someone else under the bus to try to make your point.

You just lost any support I may have given you and the point you're trying to make.

See how you alienated another person with ridiculous stereotypes and opinions.
sorry, how many threads on this forum are critical specifically of white women? what crimes are typically associated with white females? name one, other than maybe teachers sleeping with students. even white men are associated with being serial killers, child molesters, and mass shooters. I could care less about your support. it is absolutely the truth that white women are held on a pedestal in this society. if that offends you I don't really care. I'm going to be a black woman in this society whether you support me or not.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How very special... But still no mentioning about root causes.

And that education, literacy, language use, socialization, team skills, etc. play a critical role in employability. That's regardless of race.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I worked with a young black man and when we heard on the radio of a robbery he said----"I sure hope it wasn't a black guy who did that." I know what you are saying OP. Black guys who have never broken the law are still looked sideways when so many black men are out breaking the law each day.

White guys do it as well but not as many in proportion. Not fair at all. I wish Eric Holder would work on a solution for that instead of race baiting like he is dong now. So many young black men are out of work---fix that problem, why don't they?
I am always aware of my surroundings and the people around me regardless of color.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My question, I suppose, is this -- if you see a bunch of black youths who do not dress urban grouped together talking, would you feel uneasy? They are just standing there, waiting in line for a movie.

How about a group of white youths who are dressed urban -- complete with hat to the side, sagging pants, tats, etc. They are loudly talking and horsing around.

I am not asking these questions to intimate that you are racist, because I don't believe that you are. I just don't agree with generalizations. I think that if more people invest in actually drilling a little deeper, it would better society as a whole. For example, I judge whether or not I'd avoid someone due to such things as body language/demeanor and to some degree appearance. My reason for appearance is this - I walk down a street every day to/from work that has nothing but bars and indigents. I avoid indigents (of all races) for safety reasons. Black and white teens don't really bother me if they aren't acting in a threatening manner.

Unfortunately the media likes to display all of the negative, but there is a far larger segment of the population who do not subscribe to such behaviour and it's those people who have to deal with the generalizations.
I was accosted on the streets of philadelphia by a large group of young blacks who didn't look "gangster"...they were really young too, 14 at the most, and this was not supposed to be a "bad" area. I was with 2 other friends, one a woman, and there were twenty or so of them. We basically had to flee.

A few weeks after that I saw a video on the news of a black kid sucker punching a white guy as he left one of the better schools in Philadelphia with his friends..these were supposed to be the good kids who decided it would be funny to "polar Bear" hunt.

So, in the past, I would look for some behavioral cues and not just a bunch of black kids, but what's going on now is from much younger kids and appears that social media is making it "cool" to chroncle thuggery, even among kids who may not have been inclned that way in the past. In contrast, suburban mischief tends to be about property desctruction, not hurting people physically. For some reason, black kids cross that line much more often.

When I see white kids in suburbia being gangster, it's most likely something to laugh at as it's a charicature. There are people to avoid here to, but it's usually muscle bound meatheads in bars who are really into MMA, looking for any reason to brawl and trying to impress empty headed women.

Last edited by dman72; 07-18-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies