Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
They are not violating any laws. But it's not right to judge anyone on what few people from that group or race are doing, and to suspect that all of them may be up to something. If you are a white pedophile, and statistically there are more white pedophiles than black, should we think that all white males shouldn't work with students or may molest children including their own if left alone with them?
Whatever folks have a duty to get home in one piece without being mugged or worse. If profiling helps them avoid being a crime victim so be it. Your hurt feelings and debatable moral code notwithstanding.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There's a difference between hiring someone, where you interview them, see their resume, check their criminal background, and get references...and seeing someone on the street.

If someone wants to assume I'm a pedophile who doesn't know me based on my race..I really couldn't care less. If they deny me a JOB based on that presumption, that's discrimination and should be illegal.

If I conciously avoid black neighborhoods because of crime or groups of black men on the street..you can't call it wrong but it isn't illegal..I'd call it smart considering statistics.

If I deny a black man a job because of the same inclination that makes me avoid them on the street, that's discrimination and should be illegal..and of course, I can verify that person isn't a criminal the same way I would anyone else who comes in for a job.
Far too often, the prejudicial assumptions that cause one to avoid black men on the street are precisely the same ones responsible for denying him work or housing.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
The results of these studies were startling. Among those with no criminal record, white applicants were more than twice as likely to receive a callback relative to equally qualified black applicants. Even more troubling, whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Whatever folks have a duty to get home in one piece without being mugged or worse. If profiling helps them avoid being a crime victim so be it. Your hurt feelings and debatable moral code notwithstanding.
Yep. Just like Trayvon did.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Far too often, the prejudicial assumptions that cause one to avoid black men on the street are precisely the same ones responsible for denying him work or housing.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

It's a troubling statistic. All that I can do is work in the opposite direction. My hiring record shows it. I can discourage other people from doing that but I can't read their minds. If I know that someone has a clean record..they have a clean record and that's the end of it...I have no reason to think they'll behave otherwise.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Discrimination against others is a central plank in the Conservative/Republican platform.

In any event, conservatives don't get profiled, stalked or killed because of their ideology. They don't get followed around stores. Cops don't stop, frisk and indiscriminately harass conservatives. And a conservative isn't distinguishable because of what he looks like. You can hide if you don't like being discriminated against. You're not going to walk down the street and get profiled. Black men are black men no matter where we are or what we do. We can't hide who we are.
So you think there is only ONE way to harass people? You don't think that making people feel like the government will attach paychecks (automatically take money). In the IRS eyes you are guilty before proven innocent. It cost a lot of money to prove you are right.

THAT'S HARASSMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
It's the same thing as people judging conservatives. These people have belief, are not out to hurt anyone but low and behold the liberal media and democrats call them all kind of names including calling them the Taliban. Sorry, you are getting some of the medicine the liberal media is dishing out on others.

NAACP Leader Julian Bonds calls Tea Party The Taliban of America

Markos Moulitsas wrote American Taliban, pulls no punches as he compares how the Republican Party and Islamic radicals.

Chris Matthews (Boston Bombings): “Normally, domestic terrorist people tend to be on the far right, although that’s not a good category,” Matthews said on Monday’s show. “Extremists, let’s call them that.

Blacks, Dems, Libs have no problem with Bonds and Liberals discriminating against conservatives either.

Don't like it much do you?

Last edited by petch751; 07-19-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't see how anyone could tell you that it shouldn't bother you.

However, if you are a young black man, do you not have the slighest bit of understanding how people of other races expect bad behavior from you, especially in groups? It isn't just white people who feel this way either, it's actually worse amongst Asians.

I've seen it first hand, being basically asked to leave a Korean owned establishment because my black friend got too friendly with a Korean girl. They're not exactly fond of white peope getting too friendly either, but it steps up when it comes to blacks.
I know how young Black men are viewed by some non-Black persons, and even from fellow Black persons. I met a woman from Haiti. Her parents basically told her "don't date African-American men". I've heard the same thing from some women from Africa. I know that African-Americans are often looked down on. I've felt some of that wrath. I've been followed around a bookstore. I was the only Black person in that bookstore, and I was the one being followed around the store. No one else. I wasn't dressed like a thug. I was actually wearing a suit. Strangely enough, no one followed around a group of teenagers who looked like skateboarders. Just me. I'm very aware of how young Black men are looked at. That is why I tend to be cynical and upset about this. It hurts to be treated like a criminal even though you know you're not. It hurts to be judged based on the stupidity of someone else who happens to share the same ethnicity as you. I figured that this is suppose to be an individualistic society, so one's individual merit should be more important. However, it seems like that is not the case.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What law are private citizens violating by viewing black males suspiciously because if their comparatively elevated crime rates and adherence to culture that glorifies violence?
If you are a private citizen and you follow me around, that can be borderline stalking.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Having to do with or including anything of pre-dominantly white culture, interests, or social issues. Often times, life outside of the plight of the inner-city.

It's a pretty vague term, I admit. But we all know what "white America" is.
But you're not describing my US, and I'm white.
So, inner city is black culture?
I live in the inner city when I live in the states.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know how young Black men are viewed by some non-Black persons, and even from fellow Black persons. I met a woman from Haiti. Her parents basically told her "don't date African-American men". I've heard the same thing from some women from Africa. I know that African-Americans are often looked down on. I've felt some of that wrath. I've been followed around a bookstore. I was the only Black person in that bookstore, and I was the one being followed around the store. No one else. I wasn't dressed like a thug. I was actually wearing a suit. Strangely enough, no one followed around a group of teenagers who looked like skateboarders. Just me. I'm very aware of how young Black men are looked at. That is why I tend to be cynical and upset about this. It hurts to be treated like a criminal even though you know you're not. It hurts to be judged based on the stupidity of someone else who happens to share the same ethnicity as you. I figured that this is suppose to be an individualistic society, so one's individual merit should be more important. However, it seems like that is not the case.
Your anecdote is sad, but it doesn't suprise me..I worked in store security for awhile and profiling was the norm..it wasn't written store policy, but it might as well have been..and most of the people I worked with became cops.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Okay, how many threads on this forum are critical specifically of black women? What crimes are typically associated with black females? It seems to me most threads on crimes or violence are talking about men, not women. Sure, many white women are on a pedestal (unless they're unattractive, then watch the knives come out), but there are also many black women on that pedestal - Michelle Obama, Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey (consistently named one of the most powerful and richest woman in America), Queen Latifah, Halle Berry, Maya Angelou, etc.
as I said to the other poster, we are always included in the threads about black people and crime, even if it's just to say that we contribute by having ghetto, oow children that fuel black crime. mrs. Obama is on a pedestal? please stop. I haven't seen a first lady disrespected so much in my lifetime, not even the highly unattractive Barbara Bush. with white women, it's not just certain women are put on a pedestal, all white women are put on a pedestal, unless, as you stated, they are unattractive or overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies