Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Soledad O'Bozo's blog post mentions the alleged "study," but doesn't link to its actual source. Where is this "groundbreaking" study? Where's the source text? And even so, was it peer reviewed? Was it published in a peer-respected journal? Without such info, its "findings" are nothing more than the rambling assertions of some grad student's pet dissertation.
http://www.princeton.edu/~pager/pager_ajs.pdf

Old 07-19-2013, 03:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
as I said to the other poster, we are always included in the threads about black people and crime, even if it's just to say that we contribute by having ghetto, oow children that fuel black crime. mrs. Obama is on a pedestal? please stop. I haven't seen a first lady disrespected so much in my lifetime, not even the highly unattractive Barbara Bush. with white women, it's not just certain women are put on a pedestal, all white women are put on a pedestal, unless, as you stated, they are unattractive or overweight.
Have you put us on a pedestal?
Female murderers are on pedestals?
Please.
Jodi Arias is not black.
Casey Anthony is not black.
I know their names; I don't know the names of any black women in the news lately for murdering their kids/boyfriends.
They made national/world news.

I see negative threads about women.... don't go to the relationship folder here...
Perhaps we're both looking through our own filters.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And yet, even though African Americans use drugs at lower rates than whites, disproportionately more AAs get arrested and convicted for drug-related offenses. Or they receive higher penalties for the same offenses than white counterparts.
You're absolutely correct.
And it's horribly wrong.
There are numerous studies illustrating the point you're making.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
African-Americans aren't viewed by most people well even other Blacks. I've been trying to tell that to you all for years on this board. It has absolutely nothing to do with race but cultural habits. I will say as I advance I do mix with more of the talented tenth African Americans and they are good people. The rest I'm sorry something is amiss.
Which is why Black-Americans need to come to grips and start taking care of Black-Americans and fix our communities. We need to stop worrying and helping out the rest and that INCLUDES other Black people from other parts of the world and start focusing on us.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Have you put us on a pedestal?
Female murderers are on pedestals?
Please.
Jodi Arias is not black.
Casey Anthony is not black.
I know their names; I don't know the names of any black women in the news lately for murdering their kids/boyfriends.
They made national/world news.

I see negative threads about women.... don't go to the relationship folder here...
Perhaps we're both looking through our own filters.
you named a few white women in prison. do you think white women aren't supposed to go to prison when they commit crimes? the difference is black women go to jail for EVERYTHING they do. white woman gets a drug offense, she is more likely to have a delayed prison/jail sentence, get sent to rehab. those are facts. unfortunately, black women kill their children sometimes, or their boyfriends, but it doesn't make national news, because America doesn't care about dead black children or men. it's not national news worthy.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you named a few white women in prison. do you think white women aren't supposed to go to prison when they commit crimes? the difference is black women go to jail for EVERYTHING they do. white woman gets a drug offense, she is more likely to have a delayed prison/jail sentence, get sent to rehab. those are facts. unfortunately, black women kill their children sometimes, or their boyfriends, but it doesn't make national news, because America doesn't care about dead black children or men. it's not national news worthy.
Of course they should.
You said that white women are untouchable.
I'm illustrating that they're not.

Now you're just feeling sorry for yourself.
You complain that people start threads about black women and that they're all negative.
I point out that there are white women who commit crimes and they are talked about.
Then you say that we don't talk about black women who commit crimes because we don't care.

Well, which is it.
You can't even make up your own mind.

I'm not arguing your ridiculous point any further.

BTW, I live in Europe.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Live your life the rest will fall into place.
That's all I can do. It is sometimes made harder if someone tries to judge based on race.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Whatever folks have a duty to get home in one piece without being mugged or worse. If profiling helps them avoid being a crime victim so be it. Your hurt feelings and debatable moral code notwithstanding.
I get you point regarding if profiling helps them avoid being a crime victim so be it. That should have worked for Trayvon, but again, he's the one dead and not Zimmerman. But that's not the argument I am making in this thread. The issue here is profiling when you are not technically going to be a victim. For anyone to automatically think that a person who fits a profile would automatically commit a crime just because of what statistics show what some are doing in that group is crazy. In other words, let's not automatically ASSume that you are going to be a victim before the person tries to victimize you. If you or anyone profiles in that way, then that's a state of paranoia. This country would literally implode if everyone thought that way. Geeeeez!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And yet, even though African Americans use drugs at lower rates than whites, disproportionately more AAs get arrested and convicted for drug-related offenses. Or they receive higher penalties for the same offenses than white counterparts.
Heather McDonald blew apart this meme years ago.

Quote:
The federal criminal penalties for crack, passed in the 1980s, were a response to the devastation crack was causing in black neighborhoods. The huge spike in crime during the 1980s -- and the vast victimization of inner city blacks -- was primarily attributable to crack addiction. If it was racist to impose these penalties, why were members of the Congressional Black Caucus the first to champion the legislation? Heather MacDonald noted in City Journal that the laws on crystal meth have a similarly "disparate impact" on whites. "In 2006, the 5,391 sentenced federal meth defendants (nearly as many as the crack defendants) were 54 percent white, 39 percent Hispanic, and 2 percent black."

From 1976 to 2004, 65 percent of executions involved whites, but whites committed only 47 percent of murders. Evidence of anti-white bias in the system? You could make such a case, and it would have as much validity as the manufactured panic about anti-black bias in America.

Read more: The Conversation Holder Doesn't Really Want | RealClearPolitics
Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I get you point regarding if profiling helps them avoid being a crime victim so be it. That should have worked for Trayvon, but again, he's the one dead and not Zimmerman. But that's not the argument I am making in this thread. The issue here is profiling when you are not technically going to be a victim. For anyone to automatically think that a person who fits a profile would automatically commit a crime just because of what statistics show what some are doing in that group is crazy. In other words, let's not automatically ASSume that you are going to be a victim before the person tries to victimize you. If you or anyone profiles in that way, then that's a state of paranoia. This country would literally implode if everyone thought that way. Geeeeez!
Insofar as someone is concerned about being a victim of a crime, it makes sense for them to be wary of young black men especially ones who dress like thugs, talk like thugs etc.

Of course every young black man they encounter is not a criminal but they're not concerned about that they are concerned about the one that maybe a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies