Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why? Because they embraced the negative side of black culture? They still will be treated at differently than a black kid with the same attire, especially by law enforcement.
You're right, it is the negative side. I actually forgot the gangsta part and was just thinking of rap. I do like the music coming from black culture, with the exception of rap. Some is okay, but I prefer hip hop, blues, jazz, R&B, Gospel, etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
If racism is the elephant in the room, white kids listening and buying gansta rap is the hippo that is easily ignored.
I more interesting irony is this. I'm Black, male, in my 20s, and I have NEVER purchased any gangster rap music. CDs I've purchased: Michael Jackson, The Jacksons, Teena Marie, Stevie Wonder, and Earth Wind & Fire.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
So you relate that to blacks not wanting to work and not to racism or nepotism
And you automatically relate any level of black underachievement to racism. Can we meet in the middle, where the truth probably lays?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree that Michelle Obama is disrespected out of proportion to others, but in my lifetime I also saw Hillary Clinton being treated the same way. I think if Barbara Bush had been younger and unattractive, she wouldn't have been liked as much. She looks like a grandma, so people liked her. The irony is that by all accounts she's a complete b I t c h.

Honestly, I like Michelle even though I'm conservative. I get really angry when people call her Moochelle, or complain about her school lunch program. First Ladies are allowed to support a cause, and childhood obesity is a very relevant and good cause in this day and age.

Hillary Clinton was vilified like crazy - lesbian, power hungry, man-hater, etc. Believe me, Michelle Obama gets a lot more respect than Hillary did, because Hillary wasn't absolutely loved by her own side either. At least Michelle has that.
yeah, because Hillary rocked the boat and Hillary gives 0 f***s about what men, especially conservative men, have to say about her. if all she did was smile like Laura Bush she wouldn't have gotten half the grief she received.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You should be glad of this because it's not the kids who are prejudiced, it's their grandparents. These young white kids love black culture and are generally not prejudiced. That's a good thing.
for many of them who don't know real black people it just reinforces stereotypes for another generation.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
for many of them who don't know real black people it just reinforces stereotypes for another generation.
There are a lot of different kinds of black people, and I didn't there know there were a breed of "fake" ones.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
And you automatically relate any level of black underachievement to racism. Can we meet in the middle, where the truth probably lays?
No but I have seen and experienced institutionized racism up close. Btw, I won't say that it all is attributed to racism because blacks just like other ethnicities have some trifling folks out there as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I more interesting irony is this. I'm Black, male, in my 20s, and I have NEVER purchased any gangster rap music. CDs I've purchased: Michael Jackson, The Jacksons, Teena Marie, Stevie Wonder, and Earth Wind & Fire.
I'm in my forties and I was around when it first came out, listened to it and eventually grew out of it, but guess what it had no affect on what it did. Neither one of my sons nor my wife ever listens to it (one likes country and the other like rock)

Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
There are a lot of different kinds of black people, and I didn't there know there were a breed of "fake" ones.
why fake in quotes? did I say "fake"? or did I say stereotypical? this black person writing this comment is not fake nor stereotypical.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Anyone who likes Teena Marie, who happened to be white who sang R&B so convincingly that she was titled the Queen of Ivory Soul, is alright in my book. I had to digress from this topic when I saw that you are a Teena Marie Fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies