Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why can't we all agree that black ghetto culture is to blame? Listening to the lyrics of all those rap songs talking about the po-po, ho's, being tough and the importance of striking back at those who diss you.

And the majority of the blacks in the US are poor. The majority of them are not middle class, married and raising 2.5 children in an affluent neighborhood with good schools. If everything was all right with the US black community, then there wouldn't be Affirmative Action programs still in existence.

Are there any black posters on C-D that would support abolishing Affirmative Action?
Actually, if everything were all right with this society, there would be no need for affirmative action because opportunity would be available to all. I don't say black people aren't to blame for a lot of our problems, but there are structural social, political and economic inequalities built into this society that need to be removed if we are to really eradicate the problems within the black community.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Why can't we all agree that black ghetto culture is to blame? Listening to the lyrics of all those rap songs talking about the po-po, ho's, being tough and the importance of striking back at those who diss you.
To many people benefit from the so called "Ratchidness" and backwardness in the black community. I mean look at who is running these record labels, sure not dudes in the hood running it. Old white men are making more money advertising ghetto culture than these rappers are. To many people benefit from black people being second class citizens, not just in America but throughout the world. With that being said, many blacks do a disservice to us by playing into the white supremacy and advertising black inferiority. The record companies who promote this type of lifestyle, along with the consumer base are just as too blame for this "ghetto culture" being so popular, this included white black and yes even Asian. Very rarely do people support or do record companies promote hip-hop artist that talk about negativity. Do you think these old white men really like listening to that type of music? Probably not, but they are businessmen and love making the millions and billions of dollars from it.

Not taking away any responsibility from these rappers, but it is very asinine to blame them for all the problems in the black community. Believe me a lot of truth is spoken in this article.

Cee Lo: "Hip hop is being used in some mass way to influence underachievement" | Your Black World

Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Sounds pretty cynical and racist, but of course, not from you! This post must be a mistake.
I'm sorry if you took it that way, but seriously what are the reasons does young white males have for rioting?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Had it been young black males, I can guarantee it would have turned violent, with several people killed.
Oh really? How about whenever young black males riot that the police have no probelms using excessive force? It is mighty funny I did not seen them doing that to the to young white males

Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of heavy metal? I don't hear you talking about white trash culture going out and shooting up schools and using meth. Hmmm, striking back at those who disrespect you? That is a concept that this government have been doing since it's conception. I guess black folks should continue to let people disrespect them and not show any backbone whenever they are treated badly?

And the majority of the blacks in the US are poor. The majority of them are not middle class, married and raising 2.5 children in an affluent neighborhood with good schools. If everything was all right with the US black community, then there wouldn't be Affirmative Action programs still in existence.

Really? I guess that you did not know that there are more poor whites than blacks huh? The majority of whites are not middle class, have 2.5 children or live in affluent neighborhoods either so what is your point again? Oh, guess what if whites did not have a 200 year head start on accumulating wealth in this country things would proably be a little more equal. You do realize that A.A was created to make the playing field a little more equal, due to the racist hiring practices that apparently some whites to reinstate. In otherwords there would not have been A.A if there was no racism.

Are there any black posters on C-D that would support abolishing Affirmative Action?
Why would you try to appeal to them? The ones that are over 60 are very aware of the discrimination of the 1960s and some of them proably marched for equal rights themselves

Old 08-17-2013, 02:12 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That boiled down to just plain racism with no other excuse
I don't know if racism was being me getting shot with a paintball gun, getting rocks thrown at me, or my house vandalized, as the persons who did that wouldn't call me the "n" word to my face. However, there were some people who did call me the "N" word, and other words, and among some, I encountered some problems. For the persons who shot me, threw rocks at me, and vandalized my house, it seemed like these were some very bad kids whose parents let them do whatever they wanted.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
To many people benefit from the so called "Ratchidness" and backwardness in the black community. I mean look at who is running these record labels, sure not dudes in the hood running it. Old white men are making more money advertising ghetto culture than these rappers are. To many people benefit from black people being second class citizens, not just in America but throughout the world. With that being said, many blacks do a disservice to us by playing into the white supremacy and advertising black inferiority. The record companies who promote this type of lifestyle, along with the consumer base are just as too blame for this "ghetto culture" being so popular, this included white black and yes even Asian. Very rarely do people support or do record companies promote hip-hop artist that talk about negativity. Do you think these old white men really like listening to that type of music? Probably not, but they are businessmen and love making the millions and billions of dollars from it.

Not taking away any responsibility from these rappers, but it is very asinine to blame them for all the problems in the black community. Believe me a lot of truth is spoken in this article.

Cee Lo: "Hip hop is being used in some mass way to influence underachievement" | Your Black World
That is one thing about the "ratchet" and "backwards" elements in alot of rap music that many people don't get. Yes, it is alot of Black men doing the rapping. However, Blacks aren't making the most money from it. Most of the hip-hop labels aren't owned by Black people. Black rappers might get rich rapping about glorifying the thug life, but they aren't getting wealthy.

Another analysis to look at is the way the fan base goes. The largest consumer of gangster rap is young, suburban Whites.

And then think about the socially conscious rappers. They don't make as much money, and it is much harder for them to get decent record deals. It speaks to what sells. The thug life sells. Being socially conscious and talking about real issues doesn't sell.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post

How about those who soon will be part of the probelm?

[SIZE=4]Dartmouth fraternity and sorority under fire for throwing 'Crips ...[/SIZE]

Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
And sadly, this is not the only case. This happened at Auburn University in the early 2000s. There are those who will criticize thug culture, and there are valid reasons to do so. And then you have those who imitate and try to profit from it, and those who do so aren't always Black people.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is one thing about the "ratchet" and "backwards" elements in alot of rap music that many people don't get. Yes, it is alot of Black men doing the rapping. However, Blacks aren't making the most money from it. Most of the hip-hop labels aren't owned by Black people. Black rappers might get rich rapping about glorifying the thug life, but they aren't getting wealthy.

Another analysis to look at is the way the fan base goes. The largest consumer of gangster rap is young, suburban Whites.

And then think about the socially conscious rappers. They don't make as much money, and it is much harder for them to get decent record deals. It speaks to what sells. The thug life sells. Being socially conscious and talking about real issues doesn't sell.

BINGO! It's unfortunate that socially conscious rap is not getting much appreciation these days. Also today's rap is WANKSTER rap. REAL gangster rap would old Dr. Dre, NWA and the like. They talked about the gang life that they grew up around but it was more of a storytelling format. There was an actual message. Now it's just about of suburban guys trying to make a buck rapping about something that they have never in their life experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies