Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well, I won't argue ethics. . .seems to me that ethics when it comes to human life has gone out of a lot of people when it comes to guns. I would think it would remain your duty as a human being to avoid the escalation of violence.
No. It is not my duty to avoid escalation of violence. It is my duty to defend myself, my family, my friends, those unable to defend themselves and so on in an increasing ring of distance and responsibility. Sometimes defense requires escalating violence. Often the only way to stop an attacker is with more force and violence than they are using, which is completely legal as long as it is 'reasonable force' in proportion to the attack.

If you can defuse an attack without escalating violence, great you probably won't end up in civil court defending yourself against a frivolous lawsuit by someone who doesn't deserve a dime and the attacker doesn't get injured or killed so it's a win for them too. That doesn't mean you have a duty to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago
Well, I won't argue ethics. . .seems to me that ethics when it comes to human life has gone out of a lot of people when it comes to guns. I would think it would remain your duty as a human being to avoid the escalation of violence.
You do realise that SYG doesn't only apply to guns, right? It can apply with your fists as well. Lets say, George Zimmerman had to punch TM to death in order to stop the attack, SYG would also apply in that instance, provided that death was necessary in order to stop the attack.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Stand-your-ground law is wrong because it allows people to leave their homes where they are under no threat of death or serious bodily harm and chase after car thiefs or burglars and shoot them dead.

That's going too far. No material possession is worth a human life.

Cincinnati 14-year-old shot dead after stealing car:

Police: 8th Grader Shot, Killed After Stealing Car - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

Man shoots to death a man he claims was stealing his truck.

Truck owner shoots, kills man he says was stealing his truck | fox4kc.com

Man leaves his home to shoot to death a burglar trying to steal construction equipment.

Sheriff: man shot alleged burglar in self defense - News-Record.com: Crime

It's sick. The stand-your-ground law should not allow you to leave your home and shoot someone to death.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

It's sick. The stand-your-ground law should not allow you to leave your home and shoot someone to death.
Those criminals should stop doing crimes. Just picking one of your articles, it appears to be justified.

Quote:
Hall was awakened by an alarm shortly after 3 a.m. When he went outside, Page said, he saw Walker and another man, Brandon Joe Hanks, pushing away rolls of copper.

Hall told the men to stop, Page said, at which point Walker charged at him. That’s when Hall fired.
Walker ran a short distance before collapsing. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Page said.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Stand-your-ground law is wrong because it allows people to leave their homes where they are under no threat of death or serious bodily harm and chase after car thiefs or burglars and shoot them dead.

That's going too far. No material possession is worth a human life.

Cincinnati 14-year-old shot dead after stealing car:

Police: 8th Grader Shot, Killed After Stealing Car - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

Man shoots to death a man he claims was stealing his truck.

Truck owner shoots, kills man he says was stealing his truck | fox4kc.com

Man leaves his home to shoot to death a burglar trying to steal construction equipment.

Heres a shocker, I actually agree with you.... to an extent.

On one hand, maybe these people should think twice before choosing the career that they do.... burglary. On the other hand, if someone willfully puts themselves in danger by leaving their house or vehicle to confront someone when they would otherwise have been safe from harm, it's pretty hard to justify the use of deadly force.... in my humble opinion. Some will argue that the law permits this type of force to protect property, I will take a stand and say that the law then, needs amended or changed.

INSIDE the home however, my opinion changes. If someone enters my home by force, to steal my big screen or whatever, I reserve the right to shoot them dead on the spot. Castle Doctrine is an excellent law imo.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Those criminals should stop doing crimes. Just picking one of your articles, it appears to be justified.
So you think an individual stealing a car should lose their life -- even if it's a 14-year-old boy?

If you say yes, you are way over-valuing a chunk of metal over a human life.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is pursuing illegal? No? Next question please.
You might want to ask women that question? I actually knew a weird guy who would follow beautiful women to see what kind of car they drove, what kind of house they lived in, where they worked , he was just curious and thought it was harmless.

Based on the the definition of the word "pursing" (To follow in an effort to overtake or capture)
If I found out that some one was indeed pursing me, as Martin did, I would also try to kill them before they killed me.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Well this is a shock. You are dead wrong, as usual.

The Florida stand your ground statute specifically states that you must have a reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury. I just searched every one of your articles, and the phrase "stand your ground" appears in none of them.

You are thinking of Castle Doctrine, like in Texas.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well this is a shock. You are dead wrong, as usual.

The Florida stand your ground statute specifically states that you must have a reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury. I just searched every one of your articles, and the phrase "stand your ground" appears in none of them.

You are thinking of Castle Doctrine, like in Texas.
This why I finally had to put him(or her) in my ignore list. Spent too much time trying to correct his/her misconceptions.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You do realise that SYG doesn't only apply to guns, right? It can apply with your fists as well. Lets say, George Zimmerman had to punch TM to death in order to stop the attack, SYG would also apply in that instance, provided that death was necessary in order to stop the attack.

this is what is insane

i mean the logic here. . .and the inability to react to actual data that shows that there is a life cost, and not a benefit.

If you are in danger, than you have the standards of self defense. You are required to avoid the violence, but if you are threatened and can back down/avoid you should. . . .but self defense does allow for deadly force.

You act as if you will be thrust into some wild west situation where your life will be endanger and you will have a gun, and because of no stand your ground you will die.

If someone is coming at you with deadly force, self defense will still work. What we are only saying is that stand your ground does not help defense cases, it only encourages escalation.

the issue here is a statue that basically allows for the escalation of violence, and through data shows that we are consistently seeing that escalation without benefit.

I mean, as with many with beliefs on this board and all faith, I suppose science is still that big bad guy. Ignore the data. Ignore the evidence. Cling to your faith. . .because science is made up by a bunch of evil liberals hell bent on converting you to satanism and taking your SUVs and guns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies