Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should 17 year olds have the right to own and carry a gun
yes 13 21.31%
no 48 78.69%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No, we are talking about the amendment that has been supported by supreme court case precedent under the US common law systems as an individual right since the late 1800's.
AH! So you're not ACTUALLY talking about the amendment of the Constitution, but the misinterpretation by the individuals sitting on the SC who completely and utterly ignored what the framers said about the Militia? I'm glad we clarified that.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why are you cool with only cops and military people having guns? Yeah, because they're appointed by the government, they can do no wrong.
Because this statistic:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is not the result of cops having guns.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
AH! So you're not ACTUALLY talking about the amendment of the Constitution, but the misinterpretation by the individuals sitting on the SC who completely and utterly ignored what the framers said about the Militia? I'm glad we clarified that.
...no...I am talking about the multiple supreme court cases that have shown the 2nd amendment extends to all individuals. You DO realize that case precedent set in rulings is legally binding, don't you?

This issue was put to bed from a legal standpoint by United States v. Cruikshank, (92 U.S. 542, if you want to look it up) in 1875

Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Because this statistic:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is not the result of cops having guns.

Well, I like the option of being able to defend myself, and my family if need be. Not to mention there was a reason why the 2nd Amendment was created in the first place. Get rid of it, and kiss the rest of the Bill of Rights goodbye.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
17 year olds should not be out at night. They should be at home doing their homework.
I graduated high school and joined the military at 17.
What homework?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Not at all. It clearly states that state militias are perfectly permitted to possess guns. I'm cool with that.
The militia is composed of every able bodied male US citizen between the age of 17 and 45 as well as female US citizens that are members of the national guard. Glad to hear that you are cool with that.

10 USC § 311 - Militia: composition and classes | Title 10 - Armed Forces | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Before you try and claim that they obviously must have been mistaken and they were really talking about the military...

(a) The following persons are exempt from militia duty: (1) The Vice President.
(2) The judicial and executive officers of the United States, the several States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.
(3) Members of the armed forces, except members who are not on active duty.
(4) Customhouse clerks.
(5) Persons employed by the United States in the transmission of mail.
(6) Workmen employed in armories, arsenals, and naval shipyards of the United States.
(7) Pilots on navigable waters.
(8) Mariners in the sea service of a citizen of, or a merchant in, the United States.

10 USC § 312 - Militia duty: exemptions | Title 10 - Armed Forces | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The militia is composed of every able bodied male US citizen between the age of 17 and 45 as well as female US citizens that are members of the national guard. Glad to hear that you are cool with that.
A MILITIA IS A GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS GOVERNED BY THE STATES AND COMMUNITIES.

NOT 1 GUN-LOVING NUT WHO BOUGHT A GUN AND IS GOING TO CALL HIMSELF AN INDIVIDUAL MILITIA AND DO WHATEVER THE FRIK HE WANTS.

Gee, I hope that was clear.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...no...I am talking about the multiple supreme court cases that have shown the 2nd amendment extends to all individuals. You DO realize that case precedent set in rulings is legally binding, don't you?

This issue was put to bed from a legal standpoint by United States v. Cruikshank, (92 U.S. 542, if you want to look it up) in 1875
And that group of men and women wearing big, fluffy dresses do not make up the Constitution of the U.S., and are not the Constitution, which is what you and I were talking about, but it didn't seem to go very well for you, so suddenly you decided the Supreme Court was far more important. The Supreme Court is a group of individuals who are chosen to rule on cases, and these rulings can be changed. That's what overruling is, AND what ruling differently on new cases is about. But no, the Supreme Court is not the Constitution.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

NOT 1 GUN-LOVING NUT WHO BOUGHT A GUN AND IS GOING TO CALL HIMSELF AN INDIVIDUAL MILITIA AND DO WHATEVER THE FRIK HE WANTS.

Why do you have an issue with people having the ability to defend themselves and their families? Remember, when seconds count, the cops are minutes away. Why be a victim? Go ahead, and make all of the gun grabs you want, because the thing is criminals don't give a s*** about the rules, and you and I know damn well that they won't be the ones turning their guns in!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:

That might be true in another country, but not in the USA. It doesn't matter that I don't consider myself part of the militia, it doesn't matter that I don't own guns, it doesn't even matter that I'm not in the military. What matters is that I am a male citizen between 17 and 45.

I can tell that you didn't read the law so here it is in full.

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies