Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM

121 posts, read 142,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
What I want to know is this...

If the argument is being made that suburban white kids from middle/lower middle class families are just as reckless with drug use as their ethic/racial/cultural counterparts...

Why, under similar circumstances regarding drug use, do they still have better levels of educational attainment than their black counterparts?
In many instances their parents are able to bail them out and get them drug treatment, which helps them complete their schooling, but they still continue to abuse drugs throughout their adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's clear to anyone without a bias that meth and heroin use is a HUGE problem in the white community. It just seems like some get an adrenaline rush from doing risky things (experimenting with drugs, binge drinking, sky-diving, etc). The feeling of invincibility makes one do stupid and reckless things. I agree that childhood abuse plays a major role.

I wonder how increased drug use ties in with arrests for possession and/or intent to sell? Would be interested to see how these crimes play out in the legal system. Jail time or rehab?
I don't have the statistics at hand, but I'm pretty sure blacks are arrested more often, prosecuted more severely and end up doing longer sentences for drug crimes than whites do, in general.

There are ~ 2 million incarcerated individuals in American prisoners and the majority are black and most of them are there because of the "war on drugs." Funny thing is that after 30 years, a trillion dollars spent, mandatory sentences, and massive incarceration, illicit drug use is not down one iota.

Not to mention medically sanctioned legal prescription drug abuse which is even more rampant (but hey it's legal.)

Why do people, including white people do drugs? Because life is often painful, and people will do just about anything to dull or escape that pain.

Last edited by ellemint; 07-17-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
In many instances their parents are able to bail them out and get them drug treatment, which helps them complete their schooling, but they still continue to abuse drugs throughout their adulthood.
In quite a few other instances, they have no need to be bailed out, because they don't get caught to begin with. The simple truth is, black kids get locked out of society *much* easier than white kids do.

I have to agree with Calipoppy, the only people I've ever had openly offer me cocaine of any type, were all white. The center of every white frat party in college was the keg, in every black frat it was the dance floor.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'd don't have the statistics at hand, but I'm pretty sure blacks are arrested more often, prosecuted more severely and end up doing longer sentences for drug crimes than whites do, in general.

There are ~ 2 million incarcerated individuals in American prisoners and the majority are black and most of them are there because of the "war on drugs." Funny thing is that after 30 years, a trillion dollars spent, mandatory sentences, and massive incarceration, illicit drug use is not down one iota.
The war on drugs needs to end, yesterday.

Quote:
Not to mention medically sanctioned legal prescription drug abuse which is even more rampant (but hey it's legal.)
This is the elephant in the room nobody wants to recognize.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM

207 posts, read 336,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Many don't self medicate, I know a few people that have been sexually abused and their past doesn't control them. A person is only a victim if they allow it.

Drugs and alcohol are a crutch so they don't have to deal with it..... what's better, dealing with ones past and moving on or sponging their brain out.
So what are you trying to say? Are you talking from experience?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM

207 posts, read 336,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Hang in there man! You are doing great. When my cousin gets out of jail for opiate problems I am hoping he will come live with me and we can work together to get his life back. Stories like yours I love to hear because it sounds just like the way my cousin was brought up. it makes me believe that my cousin has hope too!
Thanks bro, and he does have hope. All things are possible with the Lord.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
A lot of Black Tar Heroin is brought in my illegals from Mexico. They give it away to people so they can hook them on the drug. This problem will only get worse once the illegals gain a green card.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
In one of his interviews he mentioned that he did a lot of drugs as a teen, to escape the past. I was wondering if he was trying to escape sexual abuse. I know sexual abuse is very rampant in many white families.

Whaaaa? You have statistics to back this up, or are you just talking out of your lower digestive tract?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
I'm white, I'm 31, and I used to be addicted to opiates. I have 19 months of sobriety, and am a born again Christian. The reason I started using is because I had a traumatizing childhood. My father has schizoid effective disorder which means he's schizophrenic and bi-polar. He was a meth addict, alcoholic, LSD you name it, and he sold large amounts of drugs for the H.A. He used to take me on drug runs, and it was just an all-around bad experience growing up with a father who's got major problems all over the place. I was allowed to smoke weed and get drunk as a teenager, and by 17 my dad was giving me vicodin, and they made me feel a euphoric feeling and eventually I started asking for them, stealing them, he would have me sell them, and I would take half of the whole script. It helped me deal with the pain I could not get rid of, there was no closure for what happened to me as a kid. I used to spend every last dime I had on pills and weed. I was a drug addict for 12 years. Fortunately the Lord called me home, and today life is great clean and sober.

One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Stay strong, lean on God, He'll never drop you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suppose the addiction is, if not always has been, a white wealthy youth problem because they can afford the drugs but do not have the ability to control using them. The result is self removal from the gene pool. That is regrettable but inevitable.

The incarceration rate for young black men for drug related crime is the result of a deliberate policy to keep the black population of the country impoverished and isolated. The elites were annoyed when working class white people started getting enough money to vacation in the elite’s playgrounds. If blacks ever showed up they would be terrified that their exclusivity was really lost.

Max82 - Whatever it takes stay sober!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies