Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Guess we're old
Older than me, perhaps, but I'm not exactly a kid @ 36 - just not a fan, that's all. My aunt & uncle are HUGE fans, though, so I do know a little about him through them. And no, I'm not "thick in the head," (per that other poster) nor was I unaware of the song... I just didn't know ALL the lyrics and interpretations until looking it up last night. Heck, I don't even know 100% of the words & meanings of R.E.M.'s songs, and they've been my favorite band since the '80s.

Maybe it's because I'm a musician (classical) myself, but I am usually more interested in how a song sounds than what it means. Sometimes the lyrics will touch me, but it's the melodies and vocals that attract me first. I listen to many artists I don't agree with politically, but it doesn't generally matter as long as their music is enjoyable.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
It's not about all of his songs.....your way out there come back to the OP.

The some of us have known about him and his politics for 40 yrs....... glad you could look up online to form your opinion.
I didn't have to look up the lyrics to "form my opinion," since I already knew my opinion on this topic - and since you love to play off-topic police, shouldn't we be focusing on that? My opinion was the same then as it is now, namely that I don't see how this story is newsworthy. Also don't see why an artist can't express political opinions at a concert, regardless of where they are performing. So yeah, the lyrics of that one song is irrelevant to my opinions on your thread.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really? How did he make an ass of himself here and what else has he done for you to say that.

"Vote Obama"

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Which song was it? "You're Going to Die, Crazy-Ass Cracker"? Oh yes, one of my favorite Springsteen tunes.

20yrsinBranson
I think this would have been much more appropriate to play.....
We shall overcome-Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sesions Band - YouTube

Rather than a song about someone who was shot 41 times by cops.......Trayvon was shot for attacking another person (civilian) who felt his life was threatened. Big difference here...........

Kind of strange when celebrities and our own President picks sides and turn people against another person in this country.

Wonder if the money he made in Ireland went to the Trayvon family or at least a portion..... Doubt it!

I'll have to check out that "crazy-cracker" song.......

Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Vote Obama"
Don't give them any more bad ideas!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't have to look up the lyrics to "form my opinion," since I already knew my opinion on this topic - and since you love to play off-topic police, shouldn't we be focusing on that? My opinion was the same then as it is now, namely that I don't see how this story is newsworthy. Also don't see why an artist can't express political opinions at a concert, regardless of where they are performing. So yeah, the lyrics of that one song is irrelevant to my opinions on your thread.
If you looked up the song.....how would that song relate to Martin.....he wasn't shot by a cop. For Bruce to imply no black person can walk safely in America is wrong for him to say. Blacks walk around many states with no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Older than me, perhaps, but I'm not exactly a kid @ 36 - just not a fan, that's all. My aunt & uncle are HUGE fans, though, so I do know a little about him through them. And no, I'm not "thick in the head," (per that other poster) nor was I unaware of the song... I just didn't know ALL the lyrics and interpretations until looking it up last night. Heck, I don't even know 100% of the words & meanings of R.E.M.'s songs, and they've been my favorite band since the '80s.

Maybe it's because I'm a musician (classical) myself, but I am usually more interested in how a song sounds than what it means. Sometimes the lyrics will touch me, but it's the melodies and vocals that attract me first. I listen to many artists I don't agree with politically, but it doesn't generally matter as long as their music is enjoyable.
This has nothing to do with is music as a whole! Even being political I don't care some songs are that way.......this was a song that didn't fit the sadness he seemed to feel for Trayvon. All the while forgetting that Zimmerman has also lost his own way in this world.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about FREEDOM of SPEECH of course he has this.....is it right to take your troubles to another country?
This is like going to someone's house for dinner and complaining about your own problems.

These people didn't pay to hear about America's woes or did they?

Maybe age is getting the best of him.
I've never been a fan of Springsteen, but I agree, some of the people at the concert probably don't even know who Trayvon Martin is, and some don't even care about the matter, it was a concert, not an activist rally.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
You don't know his song, you don't know his politics, you really don't know who he is.....you can go away now. Your adding nothing and being off topic.

I know who he is..... I played his music plenty, I know his politics, I happen to like him!!

If you don't like this thread move along their are plenty of Trayvon threads out there for you to wonder on!

He did happen to say he'd bring the note back....and the song had nothing to do with what happened. Try looking it up before you post again

You must be young or do you refer to everyone as dude??
You seem upset. Why? I know his politics, I also know his songs, I just don't know all of his songs. Big deal. Don't ever tell me to move along again, do you understand?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've never been a fan of Springsteen, but I agree, some of the people at the concert probably don't even know who Trayvon Martin is, and some don't even care about the matter, it was a concert, not an activist rally.
Seems this point has gone over most people's heads and the song was not the correct choice. Too many have focused on his right's or they like his music......not sure about that kind of thinking. Emotional thinkers can be the worse kind.........

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Blacks walk around many states with no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies