Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times

Advertisements

Maybe Trayvon is the one that really needed the stand your ground option.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Maybe Trayvon is the one that really needed the stand your ground option.
He should have thought about that before he attacked someone with a gun.

He's doing a mighty fine job of "standing his ground" now though.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

He's doing a mighty fine job of "standing his ground" .
GZ went after him first. You know it, GZ knows it, everybody here knows it, and if by some chance there is a God, He knows it too.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
The Illinois law is different that the SYG law in Florida. The Castle Doctrine was being modified in Illinois to prevent those successfully using that law, from being liable for civil damages resulting from lawsuits.

The primary difference between Castle Doctrines and the SYG amendments is your location at the time (house, car), and your freedom to literally Stand Your Ground. You don't have the evade or retreat under SYG. So if your state has SYG, you don't have to prove just how fast and furious you were running away from the 12 men in white sheets carrying ropes and axes. You can shoot them all dead, right there. You were in fear of your life or great bodily harm.

So no, Obama didn't support a SYG law in Illinois, but he did support a common-sense amendment to their existing Castle Doctrine laws.
Looks like the same thing to me.

Illinois (The law does not include a duty to retreat, which courts have interpreted as a right to expansive self-defense.)
The 24 States That Have Sweeping Self-Defense Laws Just Like Florida’s - ProPublica

Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM

331 posts, read 253,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

He's doing a mighty fine job of "standing his ground" now though.
He should have thought about standing his ground before he acted in possible self defense?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
GZ went after him first. You know it, GZ knows it, everybody here knows it, and if by some chance there is a God, He knows it too.
I don't know and don't care.

I'm grateful at least one of them got eliminated and can only hope when it's GZ time he goes without hurting any innocents.

Forget everything up until the gunshot. Had that bullet gone thru a window and hit a kid killing him this would be a totally different story. The cops would have came and found two morons with long paper trails of stupid/illegal behavior rolling on the ground with a dead kid inside on his couch.

Everyone here would be ticked off at both of them for being a-holes.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
And what do you think about Natalie Holloway acting like a drunken promiscuous teenager and doing drugs with complete strangers in a foreign country?
Well, I think it has nothing to do with this thread but I'll answer anyway.

If she was attacking someone and causing them physical harm like Trayvon was doing I'm all for someone using deadly force to protect them-self from her. Since her remains haven't been found it's kind of hard to say what took place to cause her death.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Prove it, because the trial did a fairly good job of proving you wrong.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
He should have thought about standing his ground before he acted in possible self defense?
Self defense from what? He had NO INJURIES aside from the gun shot unlike George Zimmerman who had injuries to his nose, face and head. He should have stood his ground BEFORE he attacked someone who was carrying a gun.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't know and don't care.

I'm grateful at least one of them got eliminated and can only hope when it's GZ time he goes without hurting any innocents.

Forget everything up until the gunshot. Had that bullet gone thru a window and hit a kid killing him this would be a totally different story. The cops would have came and found two morons with long paper trails of stupid/illegal behavior rolling on the ground with a dead kid inside on his couch.

Everyone here would be ticked off at both of them for being a-holes.
What was Trayvon doing wrong that night? I think GZ already killed an innocent. I don't care if he was a potential thug. What did he do that night that provoked GZ to follow him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies