Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I wouldn't want to run home (not that I can run far or fast), because I wouldn't want them to know where I live. In fact, I've been known to walk far out of my way when I feel uncomfortable (typically because of creepy people on the bus) in order to lose someone so they wouldn't know where I lived.
Yep, exactly. I have slowed down & pretended to look for something while on the sidewalk near my place if there's someone suspicious looking around me for that same reason, I don't want them to know where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And the other party is dead.
How convenient that we only had one side of the story.
whose 'side' was john good on?

Quote:
That neighbor, John Good, is the only witness so far who saw the fight before the fatal gunshot.
He stepped outside his house and told the men to stop...but to no avail.
During that fight he says it was George Zimmerman on the bottom, Trayvon Martin on top straddling him.
Good says he believes it was Zimmerman who was the one calling for help and he was the one on the bottom.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Even the guy says "I am following him", he's still going to prison for assault. Following someone is perfectly legal.
Stop being so dramatic. If you approach me in what i deem to be a hostile fashion, there isn't a jury on Earth that'll put me in prison for sending your teeth down your throat. At best, i'd end up pleading to some low level charge, paying a fine, getting a short probation, and paying your dental bills. I don't know anyone doing hard prison time for clocking some fool.

All of that is preferable to being dead.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fine, then i'll go to jail. (shoulder shrug)

If you wanna ask me for directions, ask me from the damn car...parked. Or if you're gonna approach me after i've NOTICED you following me, it's common damn sense to at least say something before you approach me so that i don't get the wrong idea about your approach.

Damn..where are you people from? It's normal where you're from for people to follow you around and then approach you without at least some kind of greeting or announcement of intent? That's not normal behaviour to me.
Common sense is don't engage total strangers if at all possible. Try to seek safety of a public place and call police if you are believe someone is trying to harm you. You don't know what intent the other person has. They may have a gun. There may be multiple attackers that you don't see.
Remember when we were growing up and our parents told us don't talk to strangers? There was a good reason for that and the same basic principal still applies.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
John Good was on John Good's side.

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Well let's see, I've heard numerous times how inaccurate witness testimony is. Considering there was only one witness (hard to believe), I'm going to tend to think that his account of what happened is probably flawed & also, how long was he viewing this fight? A couple seconds, minute, minutes, what? Who cares if someone was on top of someone else, did they stay that way? Was Martin punching while he was on top? Any mention of that or simply was he on top doing nothing?

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Yep, exactly. I have slowed down & pretended to look for something while on the sidewalk near my place if there's someone suspicious looking around me for that same reason, I don't want them to know where I live.
I do the old "look at your phone and scowl as if someone changed their plans, and about face the other direction" trick. While I've lived in very walkable areas my entire adult life, I've never lived close enough to a store where I could go there to feel safe until I felt comfortable. You have to get creative.

And I live in a very safe area - much much much safer than Sanford, Florida. Yet every year, there are a few snatch and grab rapes, not to mention the average muggings.

Even though I'm a woman and arguably not particularly threatening, I keep my distance if I'm walking behind others at night on less populated streets. If they speed up, I slow down. Sometimes I cross the street just to make them feel more comfortable. Self awareness is not that hard.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What witnesses? Who else besides Zimmerman and Martin saw anything?
Quote:
There were no witnesses, and what forensic evidence?
someone wasn't paying attention

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Stop being so dramatic. If you approach me in what i deem to be a hostile fashion, there isn't a jury on Earth that'll put me in prison for sending your teeth down your throat. At best, i'd end up pleading to some low level charge, paying a fine, getting a short probation, and paying your dental bills. I don't know anyone doing hard prison time for clocking some fool.

All of that is preferable to being dead.
Which is why this trial would have gone much differently if Trayvon was female.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well let's see, I've heard numerous times how inaccurate witness testimony is. Considering there was only one witness (hard to believe), I'm going to tend to think that his account of what happened is probably flawed & also, how long was he viewing this fight? A couple seconds, minute, minutes, what? Who cares if someone was on top of someone else, did they stay that way? Was Martin punching while he was on top? Any mention of that or simply was he on top doing nothing?
so personal testimonies are inherently unreliable and should not be allowed? that seems to be what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies