Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let Detroit die?
Yes 134 50.76%
No 72 27.27%
Turn it into a Post Apocalyptic Theme Park 58 21.97%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
you said Ronald Reagan the stupid, so I take it you liked carter?
Oh groan. I see.

Well, I'm not in favor of everything Carter did, but I think Carter was a far more excellent president than Reagan, who was trashed by Reagan fans (right wingers). Most everything he did was HATED by right wingers or at least employed for trashing to get Reagan elected.

For starters, and because I believe that the U.S. needs to keep its claws out of other countries, I LOVE the fact that he gave back the Panama Canal. It wasn't ours. Same needs to be done with Guantanamo. Right wingers, particularly those promoting Reagan, hated Carter for this, and began a very effective campaign to vilify him. They trashed and ridiculed him endlessly and savagely, and his reputation was damaged by these right wing individuals.

While right wingers blamed Carter for the Iran Hostage Crisis (the kidnapping of Americans by Iranians), the very same right wingers sure hide their tongue when it comes to GW Bush dropping the ball prior to 9/11 and causing the death of 3,000 people, SOMETHING GW BUSH COULD HAVE AVOIDED IF HE HADN'T BEEN SO LAZY BY REFUSING TO READ MEMOS OR DO MUCH OF ANYTHING BUT PLAY AND DRINK.

Right wingers also blamed Carter for the effect of OPEC upon oil prices, and since oil prices affect everything, Repukes blamed him for prices so they could get Reagan the brainless elected. Americans who are unaware of how oil affects prices, were more than willing to believe lies the Reagan right wingers were blaming him for.

Carter granted amnesty to draft dodgers who refused to go to a war that killed innocent Americans (like 60,000 died and about 160,000 were injured for a war which wasn't OUR war, it was being fought to give corporations a strong foothold - it was a war ultimately for profit). Many of the injured are homeless today. What a disgrace this country has become under the right wing ideology! And the squandering of astronomical amounts of our country's money on fighting wars that have nothing to do with our country!

Carter was responsible for starting the Egypt-Israel Treaty.

He created the Dept of Education, so education would stop being the chaotic mess it is in each state teaching its own idea of its own crap to kids. We need to STANDARDIZE ALL EDUCATION IN THE U.S. Instead, because right wingers like this country to be nicely uneducated, we now have each state still teaching its own idiotic thing - like Texas, where the kids are taught that, HEY, Biblical ideas are science! Such BS.

I can go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
I live in Phoenix. Everyone in Detroit seems to be moving here. If people are stupid enough to remain in Detroit then that is their problem.

To be honest, people are making it out to be worse than it is. White flight took place there 4 decades ago. The Detroit suburbs are really nice and have thriving communities. The downtown or "Detroit" has been blasted to hell. That's not new to anyone. This trend will only continue. Detroit will essentially be a relic but it's surrounding communities will continue to thrive.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
so when we dig in refuse to compromise it bad, but when you guys do it, its ok?

we have seen what you guys have dones since 1913, it is a failure on many many levels.

Woodrow Wilson who gave us
Prohibition.
1917 espionage act.
Segregation of the military.
The Federal Reserve bank.
The 16 Amendment that started the great looting of the wealth if the American people
The 17 Amendments that stolen the voice of the states in the federal government.
The Eugenics movement that would go on to inspired the Nazis,

If you don't believe me please Google it.
Let me google that for you
The truth has not agenda but the media and politicians do.

Or FDR who gave us
A Prolonged "Great Depression"
A slew of failed work programs that did nothing but created more debt
The Gold confiscation act of 1933 the rob the American people of the a vast majority of their wealth.
The National Firearms Act, which taxes so heavily the basic right of keep and bearing certain type of arms they become unaffordable to the common men.
Executive order 9066 which rounded up Americans of Japanese, Italian, and German ancestry.

How about LBS oh I mean LBJ who once said
“I'll have those ******s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. [Touting his underlying intentions for the "Great Society" programs, LBJ confided with two like-minded governors on Air Force One]”

The Great Society Act, which after spending 15 trillion dollars on welfare and entitlement programs, their is more poverty in America today then pre "Great Society Act"

Study: $15 trillion in welfare spending has had little impact since 1964 | Deseret News

Block the Civil Rights Acts of 1957.

Signed the Immigration and naturalization act of 1965, which changed our Immigration policies from favored educated and skilled workers to the 3rd world in order to import those who had Collectivistic of the democratic party, stacking the deck in their favor by importing people who "cast votes Americans don't want to cast", all the while screaming racist at the top of their lungs. such an act has cause massive changes in this nation, none for the better, driving down wages, turning away skilled labor, race base immigration quotes, importing people with view antithetical and harmful to the American way of life and system of government.

Signed the Gun Control Act of 1968, which just like the National Firearms Act of 1934, did nothing to pervert crime, just made it hard for Americans to excise to the right to keep and bear arms, infringing upon this right, using the assassinations of JFK, his brother bobby Kennedy and Martian Luther King JR as and excuse to limit the right's of the American people. all of the weapons used to assassinate those men were legality bought before hand.

Executive order 11110 which removed sliver for the American money supply, which in part allow the Statist to fund the welfare programs the fueled the growth of the massive entitlement class, which will vote for anyone who can and will give them more of someone else money.

The same party that Banned the new manufacture of the Machine guns to law abiding citizens via the Hughes Amendment to the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, an amendment that was voted on and lost to a voice voted, and yet was not counted, and their for illegality added to the final bill.

You are not the party of freedom or liberty. you are the party of tyranny and oppression, all the while hiding behind the false guises and obstification.
I can't even take you seriously, I mean it. Are you kidding me????? The same "taxes are tyranny" crap again??? Why don't you anti-tax folks move somewhere where there's absolute chaos? The other day I was browsing through one of those demented Libertarian magazines about little chaotic towns in Honduras where some Libertarians have moved. Try one of those. Absurd!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Where does the We come from? Its now up to court to solve part of the problem of debt repayment. As to growth in tax base that is another issue THEY have to solve.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're trying to sell the typical RW hypocrisy.

When management negotiates a good deal for themselves you label them savvy negotiators.

When workers negotiate a good deal for themselves you label them union scum.

It's a load of steaming crap!

When cities, corporations, whatever land in financial trouble due to contractual obligations, the responsibility MUST fall on BOTH signers of the contract.
When those workers get sweetheart deal from their public sector unions because of mass corruption, it is not because they are savvy negotiators.

What's so savvy about driving your city into bankruptcy?

Detroit is a load of steaming crap due to political corruption, ineptitude and mismanagement.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I can't even take you seriously, I mean it. Are you kidding me????? The same "taxes are tyranny" crap again??? Why don't you anti-tax folks move somewhere where there's absolute chaos? The other day I was browsing through one of those demented Libertarian magazines about little chaotic towns in Honduras where some Libertarians have moved. Try one of those. Absurd!!!
Please keep it classy. gunlover wasn't slamming you personally.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
The same applies to LA & Chicago as it does to Detroit; the suburbs are much better places to live, and are much safer with substantially better schools.

Ventura County & Orange County are both doing much better than LA County is these days by a wide margin.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,819,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought it already was dead.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I thought the same thing.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
^So far, I'm hearing people offering very violent ideas, very vengeful ideas.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStars4Life View Post
^ So far I'm hearing people that take things online literally. lol.
"If you believe everything you read, better not to read."
Then why do you put up nuke/pave? Why would you say that if you don't really want to do that? If you don't mean it, I find that tasteless. If you really meant it, I find it hateful and violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies