Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let Detroit die?
Yes 134 50.76%
No 72 27.27%
Turn it into a Post Apocalyptic Theme Park 58 21.97%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Have you not seen rural towns and ghost cities? Nobody lives there anymore, are you suggesting we force people to live there? Or are you suggesting that we spend trillions of dollars to prop up dying towns/cities all over America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The nation has changed since the last ghost town came about. And even ignoring that, there was never a ghost town that had 700k people living there when it was left to the elements.
Exactly. This is a city, A once thriving one that looks like an episode of Life after people. A whole city. And it's scary to see what it's becoming. Peoples livelihoods and lives are at stake. There was one woman who was living in a house in a neighborhood and she was the only one left. She had the house locked down like fort Knox while waiting to get into a senior living home. Can you imagine living like this? Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I am from detroit, and the city was destroyed by corrupt politicians and corrupt unions. it's not a partisan issue at all.
You must've been asleep half the time you lived there.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I never understood this co-presidents assertion by right wingers with regard to President Clinton and his wife. What does that mean, precisely? Does it mean that if a spouse is intelligent and is married and having sex with someone who is some sort of leader, that spouse influences the leaders' decisions? I was married to a man who was the head of a non-governmental organization which had some influence in governmental decisions. We were married, we had sex, we talked in bed and out of it and discussed his job. Does that mean that I was equally in charge of that organization? Further, does that mean that leaders should take on empty-brained spouses so they will have nothing of value to contribute to the leader in a discussion?
Maybe you're too young to remember those years. They presented themselves as co-presidents.

Obama Says Clinton Presented Herself as Co-President in 1990s - ABC News

ABC News’ Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller Report: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., sought to remind Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., of her claim that she was part of the successes of the Bill Clinton White House, as a way to hold Clinton’s feet to the fire on her NAFTA position.

"She has essentially presented herself as co-president during the Clinton years," Obama said in Loraine Ohio, "Every good thing that happened she says she was a part of."

Obama argued that her near co-presidency came at a time when the real President – Bill Clinton – passed the trade deal NAFTA, a deal that Senator Clinton has now stepped away from.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Have you not seen rural towns and ghost cities? Nobody lives there anymore, are you suggesting we force people to live there? Or are you suggesting that we spend trillions of dollars to prop up dying towns/cities all over America?
True.

I don't see how anyone should be or could be forced to move to Detroit except of course if they were to build a military base there.

Detroit was built around the manufacturing industry, the Clintons and Bushes gave that away and without manufacturing, there is no real reason left to have people living there.

My grandfather always warned that we should never give up the automobile industry -- and Detroit's fate would be the USA's fate. All this was predicted back when Bill Clinton (and Hillary) were duping the people into believing that NAFTA and "free trade" with China would be good.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe you're too young to remember those years. They presented themselves as co-presidents.

Obama Says Clinton Presented Herself as Co-President in 1990s - ABC News

ABC News’ Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller Report: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., sought to remind Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., of her claim that she was part of the successes of the Bill Clinton White House, as a way to hold Clinton’s feet to the fire on her NAFTA position.

"She has essentially presented herself as co-president during the Clinton years," Obama said in Loraine Ohio, "Every good thing that happened she says she was a part of."

Obama argued that her near co-presidency came at a time when the real President – Bill Clinton – passed the trade deal NAFTA, a deal that Senator Clinton has now stepped away from.
So wait a minute, your "proof" that Mrs. Clinton behaved like a co-president is an article with 1 comment from Obama?

What's more, did you read what I asked?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So wait a minute, your "proof" that Mrs. Clinton behaved like a co-president is an article with 1 comment from Obama?

What's more, did you read what I asked?
I guess you really are too young to remember back then. They very much were co-presidents and Hillary was there with him on those trips to China trying to negotiate away the jobs of Detroit.

A Clinton twofer's high price - latimes.com

Vote for me and get "two for the price of one"

--- oh and there was no "pillow talk" or sex between Hillary and Bill. That was Monica's job.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Yes.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I guess you really are too young to remember back then. They very much were co-presidents and Hillary was there with him on those trips to China trying to negotiate away the jobs of Detroit.

A Clinton twofer's high price - latimes.com

Vote for me and get "two for the price of one"

--- oh and there was no "pillow talk" or sex between Hillary and Bill. That was Monica's job.
Nono, the issue isn't if I'm 10 or 100. The issue is that you've just built an entire theory based on 1 article with 1 quote. Really????

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
simple solution

sell the entire state of michigan to canada for $1

Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Detroit is a pretty cool city.... hope it can recover

Got to like American throw away society which allows people to destroy a place and then look back and laugh as it smolders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies