Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we let Detroit die?
Yes 134 50.76%
No 72 27.27%
Turn it into a Post Apocalyptic Theme Park 58 21.97%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
They don't understand how to take care of themselves.
That sounds terribly self-serving (since it means your tax money doesn't have to go toward addressing the problem) and condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
I would say let it burn down but I would feel sorry for the fire,rats, and dogs.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
John Stossel is on FOX news right now talking about it.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I don't think Detroit should be bailed out, but at the time I didn't think that Bear Stearns and Lehman should have been bailed out either...and look at what happened when we thought the market would survive their fall.
I'd have no issue with Motown not being bailed out, or like Lehman not surviving.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
I can't stand it when people say Democrats killed Detroit. If you guys really believe that and are not just making inflammatory political statements, then perhaps the country is beyond repair. And it's the same people making those statements that keep remarkably quiet about farm subsidies, highway subsidies, mililtary spending, UNCHECKED BANK BAILOUTS, and other corporate welfare programs. Where are you people marching against our never-ending payoffs to Freddie and Fannie? Where were you in September 2008? This anti-union, anti-Democrat, and in general anti-Obama outrage is so retarded and meaningless.

Detroit is bankrupt because of a PLETHORA of reasons. Poorly made cars, an artificial middle class that could not realistically be sustained, a lack of competition for over THIRTY years, free trade and globalization, improved technologies, growing national fatigue with automobiles, horrific leadership, in particular with 40 years of truly dispicable anti-white mayors (not Bing), a lack of other industries, short-sighted complacency instead of innovating, innovating, innovating, a lack of personal responsibility by the inner city residents, high taxes and high crime, and a parasitic resentment between the city and suburbs are ALSO reasons for Detroit's bankruptcy. Don't blame a guy making $20+ hour to "screw in a lightbulb," or at least don't just blame him. The reasons are far more complex than that and this GLEE that Republicans have is damn near treasonous.

I don't think Detroit should be bailed out, but at the time I didn't think that Bear Stearns and Lehman should have been bailed out either...and look at what happened when we thought the market would survive their fall.
What party has been in power over the last 50 years in that city?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
In the 80's the Banking and Oil collapse nearly did Dallas in.

They were smart enough to diversify and build their economy.

Detroit failed to do this at that time. Just bad and corrupt leaders.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Two Detroit police sergeants arrested for armed robbery. They were wearing their badges and bullet proof jackets during the robbery. They were caught because a passing motorist took photos. Without the photos, it would have been another "armed robbery by fake cops" except they weren't fake.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:53 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

Ohh ohh I know this......it starts with a D...

Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 AM
bUU

Quote:
That was my point, that there are enormous collateral effects to such collapses, and that the economy can't always fix itself on its own
Those collateral effects are mostly the impacts on people. Why should Republicans care about people?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 AM
bUU

Caring about personal and typically corruptly self-serving definitions of "liberty" before caring about physical effects on people that directly affect their life and health is reprehensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies