U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM

33,302 posts, read 18,872,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I have mostly ignored it. It is a matter for the state of Florida; but I have from time to time put in my two-cents worth. The situation has put forth an interesting debate.
It has put forth an interesting debate. I'd like to see the debate continue minus all the frenzy. Jury has spoken - agree or disagree - time for the media to quit re-trying the case. Open discussions on race in our country; SYG laws, how we can make things better for all - I'm all for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think it's important for us to look at society and what/who causes these rifts and divides, and for what reason(s).
Oh my goodness! I agree with southward bound!
Rate this post positively

Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM

69,360 posts, read 58,200,166 times
The Martin/Zimmerman issue is deeper than just the case. It shows us how ignorant people are in society for the law, and the process. And yes, I'm so sick of hearing people shout out how stupid they are...

Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM

17,444 posts, read 25,309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Enough Already!!!!

The media keeps feeding the frenzy, and the agitators like Sharpton, Rev. Jackson, and some others are riding their 15 minutes into the ground. Chances are, if Obama hadn't voiced his opinion about Trayvon, this incident would have never made a headline outside Florida.

But, the administration is probably grateful that the lapdog media has deflected attention from Benghazi, the IRS scandals, the DOJ failures, and the CIA spying. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see a White House begging the media to cover Obama's butt.

Get over Zimmerman-Martin. The jury has spoken, the FBI found nothing regarding racial profiling,...and the DOJ is only hanging on to foment a wider racial divide in this country. Those groups still protesting are violating others' rights by shutting down freeways and defacing public/private property.

What a freakin' circus.
It's a manufactured crisis.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM

596 posts, read 652,860 times
Coverage of the case can be easily avoided. Yes, it is being discussed a lot. But there are plenty of channels on TV that aren't discussing it and there are plenty of places to go online where it isn't being discussed. So my personal opinion is if you're sick and tired of reading/hearing about it, then don't tune in to stations/websites/etc where it's being discussed. Pretty simple solution.

I have said this before but I will say it again because so many don't seem to get it. This situation is not just about Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. It goes much deeper than those two individuals and that particular case. The reason it seems to be going on and on and on is because this case is just a symptom of much deeper problems in this country. Problems that, for the most part, many people have chosen to ignore and are in denial about. Deeply rooted, systemic problems that have been pushed down and swept under the rug for generations. Trayvon is not the first tragedy to result from some of these issues. But as with most things in life, there comes a time when people feel enough is enough. There's that straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak. This situation is that straw for many people.

You want to talk about being sick and tired, well, many of us are sick and tired of the way a certain segment of society is treated and sick and tired of being told to shut up whenever we try to speak out about it. What you're seeing now is people refusing to shut up about it this time. That's the bottom line. The Trayvon tragedy was the impetus for a discussion that has been long over due in this country. I see people on here making ridiculous statements like Obama is dividing the country with his statement and that he wants a race war. Comments like that are based in pure ignorance. We need to stop acting like there are no issues with race in this country and confront them head on. We need to have open, honest, intelligent, and yes sometimes uncomfortable dialogues about this. But that will never happen as long as people immediately view anyone who speaks about race as being divisive. Speaking my truth and speaking on my experience in my skin in this world is not being divisive. Nobody else can speak about my journey and my experience.

People need to get over being uncomfortable with these discussions. They need to get over being in denial about certain issues. They need to get over not wanting to hear about it and the desire to shut people up just because they're speaking on issues that they don't personally relate to. They need to stop getting defensive at the mere mention of race, stop railing against it, and actually listen to other people speaking their own personal truth. Stop trying to invalidate another person's experience just because it doesn't align with your limited view of the world. Living in ignorance and pretending that everything is okay does not mean that everything is really okay. So yes, there has been a lot of discussion about this case and there will likely continue to be many more discussions because it is not just about this case alone. It has opened the floodgates for people to discuss much deeper issues that led us to this point. And not wanting to talk about it or being sick of hearing about is part of the problem, not part of the solution. You can't even begin to find solutions to problems that you refuse to acknowledge and discuss. Silence and denial don't solve anything.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:13 AM

9,554 posts, read 13,545,004 times
The media needs to sells ad space.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,018,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
The media needs to sells ad space.
The whole mess is self-perpetuating. The media builds coverage into a frenzy, gives the Sharptons and Jacksons of our society a pulpit to spread their racism, and foments further racial divides by intimate coverage of crimes committed during so-called "demonstrations" that turn violent. Even the president gets involved in the frenzy with comments about "my son",...and this "could have been me" years ago.

The media doesn't need to sell ad space. The uninformed already are listening.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,145,770 times
We've become ancient Rome.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM

6,445 posts, read 4,654,884 times
Beyond belief

Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM

7,294 posts, read 5,903,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Enough Already!!!!

The media keeps feeding the frenzy, and the agitators like Sharpton, Rev. Jackson, and some others are riding their 15 minutes into the ground. Chances are, if Obama hadn't voiced his opinion about Trayvon, this incident would have never made a headline outside Florida.

But, the administration is probably grateful that the lapdog media has deflected attention from Benghazi, the IRS scandals, the DOJ failures, and the CIA spying. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see a White House begging the media to cover Obama's butt.

Get over Zimmerman-Martin. The jury has spoken, the FBI found nothing regarding racial profiling,...and the DOJ is only hanging on to foment a wider racial divide in this country. Those groups still protesting are violating others' rights by shutting down freeways and defacing public/private property.

What a freakin' circus.
Agree, but I'm especially tired of hearing people express outrage at the verdict who don't know what the evidence was or what the applicable law was, especially talking heads on TV and so-called print journalists.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 AM

33,302 posts, read 18,872,203 times
I think it's time to move beyond the specifics of this particular case and talk about the broader picture. Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.