Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
San Diego County went for Obama both times too.
I understand, still not ready to give it up yet. It could easily swing GOP for Chris Christie. This is a city that voted for Bush twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Blaming the 'other' party is exactly what both parties would like us to do. It keeps people from sitting back and realizing both parties pretty much suck.
It is also silly to care whether someone is a Republican or Democrat with local positions, it is more important to pay attention to the individual, their platform, and their record. The OP is just playing a strawman argument as if they found a pot of gold, when in reality they found false gold made out of elephant dung.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I do live in Portland. I was just naming a place that's super awesome to live in, is wildly popular, beautiful, and tends GOP.

The thing of it is, this exact same sort of post has happened before whilst criticising conservative governments. For example, there was a post about how Wisconsin had one of the lowest job rates in the US and attributing that to Rick Scott.

All I am saying, is that there are very uniquely Democratic "things": public sector unions, public sector pensions, and high taxes that are causing a lot of issues and distress at local and state levels.
Then why aren't you living in one of those awesome places to live? Sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

I don't really pay much attention to Wisconsin, so I can't really comment on it.

It has also been pointed out to you that it doesn't matter if a city is run by democrats or republicans, if a city is run poorly then it is going to probably struggle.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is also silly to care whether someone is a Republican or Democrat with local positions, it is more important to pay attention to the individual, their platform, and their record. The OP is just playing a strawman argument as if they found a pot of gold, when in reality they found false gold made out of elephant dung.
That's pretty much how I've always voted, I'd vote for someone whose policies I disagreed with if I trusted him/her as a person. The problem is all too often I'm not thrilled with any of the candidates and wind up going down that crappy 'less bad' road. Less of a problem in local elections but it seems by the time many candidates have won a national nomination they've sold out to so many special interests it's hard to tell where they really stand.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
How bout Julian Casto's Demcratic, highly diversified, and tri-cultural San Antionio Tx...

This is how this Democratic city likes to march...

With African Americans making up about 15% of the city's valued population, San Antonio consistantly sees 100,000 MLK Day marchers yearly.

I love this city.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Allen, Texas wants to spend 60 million on a high school football stadium. Katy, Texas wants to spend 68 million on a high school football stadium.

At least the blue state cities aren't devoting that much money to high school stadiums.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much how I've always voted, I'd vote for someone whose policies I disagreed with if I trusted him/her as a person. The problem is all too often I'm not thrilled with any of the candidates and wind up going down that crappy 'less bad' road. Less of a problem in local elections but it seems by the time many candidates have won a national nomination they've sold out to so many special interests it's hard to tell where they really stand.
When it comes to national politics, it sometimes makes more sense to vote for the party platform you agree most with, but with state and local levels it should be more about the individual platform.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
So you are trying to compare our US military to a failing auto industry? Nice try. As long as there is a military presence in those two cities, they will always have a low unemployment and a fairly stable economy.
I thought the failing auto industry was saved?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
I'll take your Seattle, and raise you a:

-Cleveland
-Buffalo
-Flint
-Stockton

Etc. etc.
*sigh

As already noted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Anyone who thinks Republican policies and economic proposals are somehow more preferable / more beneficial than those from the Democratic Party (and vice-versa) is just a myopic partisan hack. Sheer unfounded bias and ignorance.
Quote:
And elect Republicans, because Democrats have a very mixed record on running municipalities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So do Republicans.

Ken
Exactly. This is certainly not a partisan issue. Some people can't comprehend that, or won't accept it. This is because they are myopic partisan hacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Can we PLEASE stop all this non-sense fighting and blaming between political parties? There are both red and blue cities that are doing very well.
This^

Quote:
No two municipalities are the same, they each have their own unique problems and benefits, that is why you can't play stupid partisan politics at the local level because the D and R really don't mean a thing.
And this^

Quote:
Blaming the 'other' party is exactly what both parties would like us to do. It keeps people from sitting back and realizing both parties pretty much suck.
And especially this^

But again, some people are just hardwired to be myopic partisan hacks.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Colorado Springs is also highly dependent on tourism, so people can see Pikes Peak.
Pfttt...

Pike's Peak? What's that?

California has the both the highest mountain in the lower 48 states - Mount Whitney, and the lowest point below sea level in North America. - at Badwater in Death Valley.

We win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies