Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel more nervous around black males then other males?
Yes 42 45.65%
No 50 54.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I cannot remember the last time a black male harassed me in public by making comments about my appearance like that. I can't remember a single instance of it happening to me.

On the other hand, I've been catcalled by Mestizo/Chicano men since I was a teenager. And they say some pretty disgusting things in Spanish. I am definitely intimidated by groups of Mestizo/Chicano males and will avoid them because of the comments some of them sometimes make.

Just being honest.
Well I get that with Hispanics sometimes too but usually they just stare as you walk past. I also am not a fan of walking past a group of white dudes when I'm by myself simply because I feel like they're saying something about my appearance as I walk past. LOL, call me paranoid. We all have some judgments of others, I prefer to limit it to the people who actually do it instead of painting a broad brush like many people on this forum do incessantly.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well I get that with Hispanics sometimes too but usually they just stare as you walk past. I also am not a fan of walking past a group of white dudes when I'm by myself simply because I feel like they're saying something about my appearance as I walk past. LOL, call me paranoid. We all have some judgments of others, I prefer to limit it to the people who actually do it instead of painting a broad brush like many people on this forum do incessantly.
I've been catcalled by white men too, but not nearly as much as by Mestizo/Chicano men.

There are some people/groups of people I will avoid or give a very wide berth to based on their appearance and behavior, not their race or gender.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've been catcalled by white men too, but not nearly as much as by Mestizo/Chicano men.

There are some people/groups of people I will avoid or give a very wide berth to based on their appearance and behavior, not their race or gender.
"I've been catcalled by white men too, but not nearly as much as by Mestizo/Chicano men."

Is that really any better than Stereotyping Black or White people?

"There are some people/groups of people I will avoid or give a very wide berth to based on their appearance and behavior, not their race or gender"

I'll agree with that, if a man wants to look and dress like a Biker, Gang banger or any other Scary or undesirable character for what ever reason don't complain if normal women want to avoid you like the plague

Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
The answer is no ... Unless the black male (or any other male) gives me a reason to make me feel nervous, I generally believe the best in people. No need to walk around in fear and I'm thankful that I have lived my entire life in racially diverse areas.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No. This is a stupid question. I can't even believe people answered yes.

I do not fear men, of any color. Anywhere.

Of course, I have a CCW permit, and a special place for my gun on the side of my purse.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Typical women are afraid of reptiles?
I was just about to comment on that, seeing as I'm a woman who OWNS over 20 reptiles (snakes)! And in my experiences within the "herping" community, there are waaaay more women in the hobby than you'd guess. Oh yeah, and some of the biggest reptile-phobics I've met have been men.

Now to answer the OP's question, I primarily date black men - so no, obviously I'm not intimidated by them. Like a number of other women have said, it's more the MALE part mixed with situation (i.e. dark alley at night) that would make me nervous. We're generally more comfortable around strange women, for the obvious reasons of physical threat. Not to say men are all a physical threat, or that women can't defend themselves; it's just more likely we'd be in danger around an unknown man.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-04-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'll agree with that, if a man wants to look and dress like a Biker, Gang banger or any other Scary or undesirable character for what ever reason don't complain if normal women want to avoid you like the plague
I think the biker look is kinda hot, and often they turn out to be complete softies underneath... you know the old saying, don't judge a book by its cover? As for "gang bangers," I guess it would depend on how authentic their look is. In other words, are they just dressing that way to look cool, or do they really look like they run with a gang? Hard to tell sometimes, but usually I can distinguish between the two.

P.S. What exactly is a "normal" woman? Please clarify, because I don't think there is such a thing.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Damn. I wish I had known, so I could have initiated the appropriate fear-based response. There I was, having lizards, rats and snakes as pets and buying cars willy-nilly, without a care in the world.
Someone should have sent me a memo.
LOL, and me too! Even when I lived with two men, I was usually called upon to open the jars (I'm quite strong) - and as you already know, I have a whole ROOM full of reptiles. I've also bought a few cars on my own, or with my sister's help, and am quite good at math. Guess we're just "abnormal" women, huh?

Oh, but I am also "concerned" about the other things mentioned by that poster... like maintaining control over my own body, and fighting inequalities in the workforce. I guess modern women can open jars, major in math, buy a car, own reptiles, AND care about issues of equality/freedom. What a concept. And yes, I realize that poster was mostly being facetious.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Man here.

Scared to death of mice and snakes.

Let me make that perfectly clear: SCARED TO DEATH

Perhaps women should carry them in their purse.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
It seems common sense that they would, the same with black women. They feel safe around their own kind, People that understand them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies