Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Except that very few are in your special category. The median household income in the US is around $50k. Very few can afford to invest $15000 for that purpose each year.
You're paying it one way or another, either out of pocket, or through reduced pay because your employer is paying it.

Someone is paying it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You're paying it one way or another, either out of pocket, or through reduced pay because your employer is paying it.

Someone is paying it..
And now you are beginning to understand the problem.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Oh please, we've been bombarded with non stop postings about how Obamacare is cutting premiums and Obama himself said the costs would drop 3,000%..

Please share with me what parts of Obamacare is expected to cut costs.. I love all of this "wait and see", attitude because we've been told that for 3 years now..

How long do you expect people to wait?
It's pretty hard to see cost cuts from a program that doesn't start until this October. The Healthcare exchanges introduce competition in the market--the big companies are going to have to cut the fat to compete with the lower cost programs, and it provides a venue where it's easier for consumers to see a side by side comparison of each company, so consumers can make more informed choices.

You need to do some reading before you rant, because it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Strange that she didn't pay any premium and got a check;IMO.I certainly haven't got a check and my premiums went up over a year ago when my employer adopted the ACA and the deductible doubled; co-payment went up and drngs cost more plus out of pocket.It went up even higher for my employer .I can see the reason so many are asking and getting that year extension and unions are now griping on cost .I also notice I 2012 they ran out of funding for pre-existing subsidy before end of year, Its a mess; IMO.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
And now you are beginning to understand the problem.
As someone who's worked extensivly in the insurance industry, who contracted work on behalf of the government, I very well understand the problem, always have.. and always said Obamacare wasnt the solution because it does NOTHING to curb the cost..

Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's pretty hard to see cost cuts from a program that doesn't start until this October. The Healthcare exchanges introduce competition in the market--the big companies are going to have to cut the fat to compete with the lower cost programs, and it provides a venue where it's easier for consumers to see a side by side comparison of each company, so consumers can make more informed choices.

You need to do some reading before you rant, because it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
No they arent.. the exchanges are just insurance companies operating on the governments behalf. Most states already contract out these services to medicare, medicaid etc..

Just adding one more "exchange" into the system isnt going to add competition when the reinbursement rates are set by the federal govenrment and paid by the insurance companies.. Do you even understand that?

If company A pays $100 for a procedure, and company B, pays $100 for a procedure, they are both paying the same price. The fact that you add into the equasion C, who will also pay $100 for the same procedure doesnt add any more competion, no more than adding gas stations reduce the price of gasoline.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
As soemoen who's worked extensivly in the insurance industry, who contracted work on behalf of the government, I very well understand the problem, always have.. and always said Obamacare wasnt the solution because it does NOTHING to curb the cost..
Very true.

However, you yourself have a personal motive in this in that your $100k high deduct health insurance policy that you have will likely go away and your little pet loop-hole goes with it.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Very true.

However, you yourself have a personal motive in this in that your $100k high deduct health insurance policy that you have will likely go away and your little pet loop-hole goes with it.
catastrophic insurance is going away, and I'll be going without insurance. I guess you'll call that a win but I'd rather be insured..

Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
No they arent.. the exchanges are just insurance companies operating on the governments behalf. Most states already contract out these services to medicare, medicaid etc..

Just adding one more "exchange" into the system isnt going to add competition when the reinbursement rates are set by the federal govenrment and paid by the insurance companies.. Do you even understand that?

If company A pays $100 for a procedure, and company B, pays $100 for a procedure, they are both paying the same price. The fact that you add into the equasion C, who will also pay $100 for the same procedure doesnt add any more competion, no more than adding gas stations reduce the price of gasoline.
No that isn't true. Some insurance companies in Cal re-bid when they found out what their competitors were offering.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Strange that she didn't pay any premium and got a check;IMO.I certainly haven't got a check and my premiums went up over a year ago when my employer adopted the ACA and the deductible doubled; co-payment went up and drngs cost more plus out of pocket.It went up even higher for my employer .I can see the reason so many are asking and getting that year extension and unions are now griping on cost .I also notice I 2012 they ran out of funding for pre-existing subsidy before end of year, Its a mess; IMO.
How did your employer "adopt" the ACA a year ago, when enrollment in the Health Care exchanges don't start until this October?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies