Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
And people still do dumb things resulting in death or injury that are not provisioned for in the regulations, even in heavily regulated NJ!

I used to ride Lighting Loops at Great Adventure in the 70's at night (we'd go there almost nightly on the "evening" season pass plan). Alot of times, the ride ended and we wanted to "go again". Rather than walk all the way down the exit stairs of the ride tower and then back up for the repeat ride, we would climb over the rail on the exit stairway and walk across the I-Beam over to the entrance stairway.

The only tricky part was timing it so you weren't on the I-Beam when the "pushing" mechanism that propelled the ride was operating. When that thing reached the end of the propulsion, it slammed to a stop and the whole structure shook!

Now, if we had fallen off the I-Beam, we'd surely have major injuries if not loss of life. Imagine the headlines and lawsuits that would create today! Back then, my parents would have probably said that I was being stupid and got what I deserved from my lack of sense. (Let alone the butt-whooping I'd get once I recovered!)

I am not saying this lady did anything wrong, but just that there needs to be a full investigation before we begin to fix what each of us thinks is the perceived problem.
Funny, my friends and I were talking on Friday about how it's a minor miracle that we ever made it to adulthood. Remember Action Park? Those were the days when there were NO rules, lol!

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-21-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
LOL here's an article on an amusement park in New Jersey that was called "Accident Park" till it FINALLY shut down. AT LEAST six people were killed on rides there and many people were seriously injured over the years between 1978 and 1996.

Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's another article about some recent trips to the emergency room by people visiting amusement parks in New Jersey:
New Jersey Amusement Park Accident Results in Hospitalizations

Oh look - several deaths on rides in NJ:
The Worst Six Flags Accidents Ever - Business Insider

But yeah...people are so much smarter in New Jersey than in Texas....right...

Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's a big leap to a specific plan to bomb the Boston marathon.

And of course, more injuries and deaths in one day than at an amusement park can apply to a lot of things, like 9/11 for ex. Maybe we should stick to this topic.
It is only a matter of time before the cons draw a parallel to Benghazi.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
IMO there needs to be a weight restriction in addition to a height restriction for certain rides. This was a large lady who was unable to get her harness clicked in properly. Everyone should have to walk through a gate that is the size of your seat on that ride. If you don't fit through the gate, you can't ride. Simple physics.

Of course we would probably hear of a class action lawsuit claiming obese people were discriminated against and denied their civil rights to ride a roller coaster.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That might help.

A good example of How to Lie with Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At some point, you have to take the word of the operator. After all, the woman was not likely a roller-coaster expert.

Maybe she had had an abortion, too!

Are you kidding? I don't have to take the word of anybody. If something seems "OFF" to you than you get off the ride.

You don't have to be a "roller coaster expert", if you don't feel safe you get off.

You would really take the word of some minimum wage worker running a ride over your own instinct???

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, you do not. If everyone else's bar is clicking three times and yours only once do not let your life depend on some kid at Six Flags telling you it is OK. You could end up dead. You do not need to be an expert to protect yourself.

Exactly! I can't even believe she made that comment.

Who in their right mind would let some kid running a ride decide their fate when they feel something is wrong.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Let's talk about making light of a tragedy. Geez. Is there no death that's not laugh worthy to conservatives?
How, exactly, did I make light of it? Maybe you need to brush up on your reading skills. I did the exact opposite.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL here's an article on an amusement park in New Jersey that was called "Accident Park" till it FINALLY shut down. AT LEAST six people were killed on rides there and many people were seriously injured over the years between 1978 and 1996.

Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's another article about some recent trips to the emergency room by people visiting amusement parks in New Jersey:
New Jersey Amusement Park Accident Results in Hospitalizations

Oh look - several deaths on rides in NJ:
The Worst Six Flags Accidents Ever - Business Insider

But yeah...people are so much smarter in New Jersey than in Texas....right.
Apparently some in New Jersey are not smarter than Texans or they would get their facts straight before making an ass of themselves.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm surprised the conservatives on here aren't blaming the woman for her own death---well, she should have held onto the bar more tightly, or she was probably too fat, ---obviously she made some bad choices.
I'm not surprised that pathetic liberals are AGAIN trying to score political points out of what a normal human being would see as a tragedy.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
These are isolated incidences that can & do happen anywhere.

Incidents at Six Flags parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're trying to set up a bash Texas-Conservative State thread, I'm not stupid.

How about this one in your Liberal home state of New Jersey?

Rolling Thunder
On August 16, 1981, a 20-year-old park employee from Middletown, NJ fell to his death from the Rolling Thunder roller coaster during a routine test run. An investigation by the New Jersey Labor Department concluded that the man may not have secured himself with the safety bar. A park representative later confirmed this conclusion, saying that the employee "may have assumed an unauthorized riding position that did not make use of safety restraints." The ride was inspected, and the Labor Department concluded that the ride was "operationally and mechanically sound."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies