Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So, Metro, is the subject TX or CA?

You really want me to whip out some statistics comparing safety in the oil industry between Texas and California?

I won't have to tell you to shut it if I do. You'll leave with your tail between your legs.
California's is probably less because they like to shut down oil companies.

Hell, Houston area alone has the largest concentration of refineries & chemical plants in the World. Of course there are going to be accidents that's why the starting pay for refinery workers is over $60k per year. They know the risks before they're hired.

$60,000 per year in Texas can support a family. Try living on that in California for 1 person.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-21-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She wasn't that big. people bigger than her get on 1000 times a day, and it snaps shut perfectly. This was IMO either operator error or malfunction, but I would not think it had to do with her size.

I absolutely think her family will sue, and should sue. The woman behind this one said the woman who died questioned whether her harness was on properly before the ride ever started because it only clicked once rather than 3 times like everyone else's, and the attendant told her it was fine, then started the ride without ever re-checking it.
Is it impossible to fasten the harnass yourself? If she thought it wasn't on right, could she have adjusted it herself or does it have to be done by the staff?

If her weight made it difficult for the harnass to placed correctly, maybe they need a weight limit for riders but then someone would sue for that.

It kind of makes you wonder why humans will pay good money to go on these rides in the first place. Of course there is risk in riding them, and it's a completely unnecessary risk -- what makes humans need that thrill?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
What in the world does politics have to do with a roller coaster accident?

This is sad to read; that poor woman had a bad feeling about her safety and she paid with her life.

Texas mother who 'didn't feel safe' on roller coaster falls to her death in front of children
Carmen Brown told The Dallas Morning News that she was waiting in line to get on the ride when the accident happened and witnessed the woman being strapped in.

"She goes up like this. Then when it drops to come down, that's when it (the safety bar) released and she just tumbled," Brown, of Arlington, told the newspaper. "They didn't secure her right. One of the employees from the park — one of the ladies — she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, 'As long you heard it click, you're OK.' Everybody else is like, 'Click, click, click.'

"Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn't feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride," Brown said.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not long after a chemical factory exploded, a woman has apparently flown out of a roller coaster in Texas and died:

Police: No foul play seen in Texas roller coaster death - CNN.com

It appears the land of enchantment, where businesses can run free with zero government oversight, is having a negative effect on the people who live there.
Good lord, talk about over-exaggeration. There is zero government oversight? No regulation? Do people truly believe that?

And I'm sure NO deaths occur at amusement parks in heavily regulated states?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Peace be with her family.
What a tragic ending for this mom.
Hope they sue the hell out of the park. Judging from the reports and what witnesses are saying, the operator did not secure her in properly.

I rode that ride a few years ago.. I could not turn my neck for 1 week. My neck and back were off for a whole damn week!! Talk about pain.
My own damn fault for wanting to be a "kid" again with my stepson.
And if the Giant was enough, I rode Mr. Freeze as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
The seats are designed for a max weight of 180 pounds. As you can see in the picture, she was way over 180 pounds.
Woman killed on Six Flags Texas roller coaster identified - CBS News

Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The seats are designed for a max weight of 180 pounds. As you can see in the picture, she was way over 180 pounds.
Really, 180 pounds??? That doesn't sound right to me. Most men I know weigh more than 180 and they are far far from fat. Hmmm

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I wonder if there are signs advising people of that fact -- the weight limits. There should be -- I know there are sometime signs warning people who are pregnant or have heart conditions that they should stay off a ride.

If there are warning signs and someone chooses to ignore them, then that should have some effect on the liability. Otherwise, many won't be happy until all amusement parks are shut down and national parks like the Grand Canyon closed to the public until they can be made completely safe.

There was a kid who drowned on a field trip here because his parents signed the form allowing him to go on a field trip to a water park even though he couldn't swim. Now there are no more school field trips to water parks -- but that's fine with me, taxpayers shouldn't have to provide the funds for non-educational field trips in the first place.

I think many people now assume that if the government lets them do something, allows them to get on some ride, that it must be very safe.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Six Flags Over Texas investigation continues after woman plummets to death from Texas Giant coaster - NY Daily News

She looks pretty large to me. Especially for a ride that needs a tight harness to hold her.

Agree family will sue and win. We need to have weight restrictions in addition to size restrictions on these rides without fear of discrimination law suits for safety reasons.
You honestly believe, in Texas, that no man or woman bigger than this one, rode that ride? I just see people bigger than her all over the place, including amusement parks.

It;s not discrimination to say weight restriction 180 pounds if that is the case. Kid's rides are weight and height restricted. It's not like they're going to have a measuring tape and make people measure themselves, or say "no fat people" on the sign. I'm surprised that they would design a ride with such a low restriction, though, in America. My bf weighs 200 but he is 6'4 and not fat (okay, maybe a little gut), and it seems there are many people that size, and I see them riding rides all the time.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You honestly believe, in Texas, that no man or woman bigger than this one, rode that ride?
Never said that.
Just said both physical size and weight should be variables if someone should permitted to get on a ride.
Something prevented that bar from going down further and properly locking. Her girth could be the cause.
Doesn't take away from the tragedy or the park's responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies