Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

This is an argument that comes up anytime there is a roller coaster or thrill ride death. About half the time it is an expected failure, other times it is rider error (unbuckling from a ride, getting out of the car, chewing gum) and even more rarely employee neglect. As park goers, you accept SOME risk. The same as going to a sports event. There are warning signs at every ride saying do not go on and yet some people do. I remember one time my mother went on Mission: Space (after they added green team training) and she went on Orange (as close to the original version as there is) with my brother and I. Despite our warnings and constant warnings on the line and our knowledge of her getting motion sick on some rides she went on. Sure enough she got sick. Yet our father got mad at us because she got sick from it.

These thrill rides do not exist without real risks and dangers. I go on realizing that there can be dangers by going on but if I knew I wouldn't be safe on a ride, I would not go on it. And I love rides but I know that say Disneyland's Materhorn is uncomfortable, Darien Lake's Viper and Predator are too rough, Cedar Point's Mantis is harsh on private parts and there are others in similar conditions that I cannot do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Roller coasters - I HATE them...why someone pays good money to feel like they are about to die? Not to be too cynical.. I guess she had the ultimate thrill of her life...it's horrible...one moment your adrenaline is pumping like crazy - the next moment you are in mid air knowing your life is over. Western culture is spoiled...While others in the world struggle to stay alive - their over fed thrill seeking counter parts want to toy with death and the feeling of death..
I go for the thrill. I am kind of afraid of heights (not as much as brother who wouldn't even do a Ferris wheel.) On MOST rides you are stapled in to the seat by the restraint whether it is a roller coaster, tower ride or even a "spin-and-spew" style ride. For me screaming on a roller coaster is letting go of the stress of my life, the same way people use rock shows, working out or screaming at referees at sporting events.

Are we spoiled because we can ride roller coasters, not really. I mean just because we can don't mean we HAVE to. You can chose not to go and the line will be shorter for people like me who enjoy them. Nobody is forcing you to go, except maybe significant other and family.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
This woman that got killed, Have they determined that she spoke and read THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ? Perhaps she could not read the signs that say stay in your seat etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
This woman that got killed, Have they determined that she spoke and read THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ? Perhaps she could not read the signs that say stay in your seat etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Many places have also started to do SPANISH spiels even signage as well as traditional English spiels and signage we are use. Now if she and the rest of her party didn't understand either language, I MAY see your point.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Do you know the answer to the question?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Many places have also started to do SPANISH spiels even signage as well as traditional English spiels and signage we are use. Now if she and the rest of her party didn't understand either language, I MAY see your point.
Ah yes - "por espanol, marque dos, por ingles, marque uno"!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Six Flags Roller Coaster Accident Witness Says Victim Questioned Whether She Was Secured - ABC News

"Carmen Brown said she witnessed the fall, adding that she heard Esparza express concern about whether she was properly secured before the ride began.

Brown claimed she overheard Esparza tell the employee that she "only heard one click," to which the employee replied that it was "OK, if you heard it click."

Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Six Flags Roller Coaster Accident Witness Says Victim Questioned Whether She Was Secured - ABC News

"Carmen Brown said she witnessed the fall, adding that she heard Esparza express concern about whether she was properly secured before the ride began.

Brown claimed she overheard Esparza tell the employee that she "only heard one click," to which the employee replied that it was "OK, if you heard it click."
In what language did this conversation take place - for the record?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In what language did this conversation take place - for the record?
Or if the ride op heard it. I know I was once in a similar situation. My brother forgot to lower his arm and neck restraint on the coaster at the New York, New York Hotel in Las Vegas. The ride op had to unlock the car and my lap bar was not as tight as it should have been similar to this situation but unlike the Giant's lock issue, it was locked and stayed lock. It just caught me during air time and brought me down butt first into the crease of the seat.

From the sound of it, it hit the first click and it wouldn't really staple in further but yet she wasn't in enough. I thought that most of these t-bar rides also have lapbelts as a pokayoke/fail-safe in case the lap bar fails like it sounds like happened. The language barrier COULD be an issue and over time more and more parks have adapted to this. However if a group of guest cannot speak the language, they should mention it to a ride op as soon as possible so they can be best served. If you are vigilante in knowing issues, you can avert many issues like this. And no, I am not saying all ride ops need to be bilingual, maybe one per platform.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I feel sorry for her kids who witnessed the tragedy. That said, can you imagine what would have happened had she been denied a seat on the ride because of her size (experts claimed they're built to withstand 180 lbs)? They need signs.

We had a tragic case locally a couple of years ago in which a patron with no legs fell out of his restraint. Can you imagine a pimply-faced kid attendant arguing with an ex-military patron who'd lost his legs in the war and telling him he couldn't get on?? Signs!
Exactly. Last time I was at a Six Flags there were huge people trying to squeeze into rides they couldn't squeeze into and they had to come back down --- all disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies