Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Would it have mattered?

From the article in the OP...
Not to me, I don't care where she's from.

I'm just wondering why people keep mentioning a language barrier; are we assuming that just because she was Latina, she spoke limited English....or do we know that she was not fluent in English?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,749,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Ride engineers have been pushing the envelope for years. I heard recently someone died of a heart attack on a ride, but don't know the story behind it. I'd say if anyone has hypertension or heart problems of any kind, they should stick to the tilt-a-whirl.
And most rides have warning signs for what COULD be triggered by taking part in the attraction. If you know you have heart issues and go on a ride, that's on you and NOT the designers and engineers who push the envelope.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,904,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I'm just wondering why people keep mentioning a language barrier; are we assuming that just because she was Latina, she spoke limited English....or do we know that she was not fluent in English?
It is always a good thing to keep all possibilities on the table until they can be eliminated.

If it can be determined that there was no language barrier, then one is closer to discovering the true culprit.

In this case, the only assumption would be undertaken by those who assume that there was no language barrier simply because they wish to be politically correct.

Doing such a thing could have future negative consequences.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,210,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And most rides have warning signs for what COULD be triggered by taking part in the attraction. If you know you have heart issues and go on a ride, that's on you and NOT the designers and engineers who push the envelope.
Yep, I know, people themselves are responsible for knowing their own limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Evidently, it's looking like employee error, because the woman was concerned about the bar not locking in place.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM

65 posts, read 73,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
you don't know squat about Texas,...only what you are spoon-fed through liberal talking points. You're just another Texas-bashing troll
I know quite a bit about Texas having lived there. I don't take your liberal spoon-feeding seriously at all. It's just like you to ignore real problems rather than solving them. You're the problem and you don't even realize it. Ignorance.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 PM

137 posts, read 135,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Illegal immigrant/population
TX: 1,770,000/26,060,000 = 6.8%
NJ: 370,000/8,865,000 = 4.2%

Immigration Statistics: Map of Illegal Immigrants by States
The source that Harrier posted is more accurate (your source uses the same resources for an earlier year).
Quote:

TX is ranked 79.4 and NJ is ranked 80.8. CA, another majority minority state, is actually below below TX rankings. One of the TX posters linked a report that broke down achievement by race and white students in TX performed as well as white students in MA. I can't find the report though, so I have no idea how accurate it was.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards
When comparing state educations, it's better to look at actual performance and student success rates rather than ratings based on policy. Spending more or less does not guarantee better education. Other policies don't show better or worse education. So ranking by policy is rediculous. Look at the performance of the students and schools.

For example, in math and science scores, Texas ranks below average while MA, NJ, NH, NY, etc rank above average. This is more telling than perceived policy ratings that your link provides:

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Illegal immigrant/population
TX: 1,770,000/26,060,000 = 6.8%
NJ: 370,000/8,865,000 = 4.2%

Immigration Statistics: Map of Illegal Immigrants by States

TX is ranked 79.4 and NJ is ranked 80.8. CA, another majority minority state, is actually below below TX rankings. One of the TX posters linked a report that broke down achievement by race and white students in TX performed as well as white students in MA. I can't find the report though, so I have no idea how accurate it was.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards
Why do you think that Wealth-Neutrality, Adjusted Per-Pupil Expenditures, Parent's Income, Parent's Education and other auxiliary factors are more important than actual test scores and academic assessments when ranking a school? None of those factors define the quality of education.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You evil capitalist! You are almost as bad as Mitt Romney!
Or maybe I'm almost as good as Mitt Romney. Perception.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That map was only highlighting ILLEGAL immigration (and that's a slippery number to try to count, anyway). But 12.31 percent of people in Texas speak ONLY Spanish - half the percentage of Spanish only speakers in New Jersey.
Texas has twice as many people who speak primarily Spanish but NJ has four times as many people who speak primarily other non-spanish non-english languages -- including many european languages like Polish and Italian and many Asian languages like Chinese.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,904,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Or maybe I'm almost as good as Mitt Romney. Perception.
Mitt Romney is better.

He is a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies