Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's nothing to suggest Brown would have shot the store clerk. At most he roughed the guy up a little, which is a far cry from pulling out a gun and shooting someone.

It's similar with Trayvon Martin. If he had been carrying, it's highly unlikely Zimmerman would have been following him around in the first place. Even if he had, Martin could have defended himself before things devolved into a brawl.

I realize there are plenty of people who don't care for Brown or Martin but if they'd exercised their Second Amendment rights they would not have been sitting ducks.
Trayvon Martin was a minor and had no 2nd Amendment Rights so...... yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, you should try it

so if I said . . .that we have politicians to protect me from idiots who don't think like you do, i'm not calling you an idiot?

"The Supreme Court doesn't protect me, it allows me to protect myself from crazy people who think like you do."
Reading is fundamental.

And yes, I did read the post. You didn't. Or worse, you did, but didn't comprehend the words. If that's the case, sorry, can't help ya.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
They change how it's interpreted. That's the
important part. The best example of that currently is same sex marriage. While
the Supreme Court hasn't yet ruled, many federal courts have. Twenty years ago
a challenge to the proscription of same sex marriage wouldn't even have been
entertained.
Marriage is never addressed specifically anywhere in the Constitution, let alone the Bill of Rights, as is the Second Amendment.
Quote:
On the gun side, Scalia came up with his right to bear arms for personal defense
from whole cloth. There is not one word or any history of that as original
intent.
Oh, is that a fact? Not one word? A passage from Federalist 29, penned by Alexander Hamilton, seems to paint a different picture:

"""The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped"""

The people at large, should be properly armed and equipped...... Hmmm. Sounds like Scalia's interpretation falls in line with Original Intent to me.
Quote:
It helps in these discussion if you actually know American history.
I'll second that...

Old 09-16-2014, 03:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Trayvon Martin was a minor and had no 2nd Amendment Rights so...... yeah.
Okay, I thought he'd turned 18.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
In 65 years, I've never carried a gun into a store, nor felt the need to do so. Alaska must be a dangerous place.
There is not a year that goes by when someone has not been mauled by bear or stomped by moose in Alaska. The firearms I carry are not for humans, although they would perform well in that regard if ever needed. My camp gun is a Mossberg Model 500 12-gauge with an 18.5" rifled barrel and an extended tube magazine loaded with .65 caliber slugs. My back-up is a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag. The intent is to be able to stop something that weighs 1,000+ pounds that is either attacking me or someone else.

Alaska is indeed a dangerous place. I never go anywhere in the Alaskan bush without my firearms. Those that do venture into the Alaskan bush unarmed, like Timothy Treadwell, are typically not heard from again.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why do the most irrational, anti gun morons always tell you to "call the cops" instead of owning a self defense gun?

You call the cops because you know they'll show up with a gun to help you.
As the saying goes, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

In the Alaskan bush you would be lucky to get cell phone reception. Even if you did manage to make an emergency call, it could take days before anyone shows up depending upon the weather. If even then.

If the irrational anti-gun morons have no problem with being killed and consumed by the wildlife, then I have no problem with them venturing into Alaska's bush unarmed.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
It misses the point. . . So Chicago and DC are both within the United States, London is within England.

Gun laws are setup by city and state in the US; UK has nationwide laws regarding regulation

So why not Chicago or DC?

Where is Atlanta? Why compare London England, to Atlanta Georgia?

Chicago and DC have gun laws almost comparable to London England.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,986,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As the saying goes, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

In the Alaskan bush you would be lucky to get cell phone reception. Even if you did manage to make an emergency call, it could take days before anyone shows up depending upon the weather. If even then.

If the irrational anti-gun morons have no problem with being killed and consumed by the wildlife, then I have no problem with them venturing into Alaska's bush unarmed.
I don't know any gun control advocacy group that has suggested gun limitation in the Alaskan bush. We'd like to limit Saturday night specials in places like Washington DC. There aren't any grizzly bears here.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
I don't know any gun control advocacy group that has suggested gun limitation in the Alaskan bush. We'd like to limit Saturday night specials in places like Washington DC. There aren't any grizzly bears here.
No, there are much more dangerous predators there.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
I don't concealed carry a self defense firearm to protect myself and my family against grizzly bears, I do it to protect myself from evil people. I don't need to work hard to prove that those people exists, that's just a fact of life.

7 people shot in 5 separate D.C. shootings overnight | WJLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies