Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

This will affect some HOA rules for some are really restrictive. This should be interesting to see. IMO, this will serve to split this nation even further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are really overplaying the role of government in the quantity of available housing.

In fact, it is in the governments best interests for more dense housing to be built because it means more people paying property taxes which means more money to the government.

Land constraints are what drive housing supply. Why do you think housing is so expensive in San Francisco and Manhattan? Because they are surrounded by water.

I lived in a town where landlords were buying single-family homes and renting them out to groups of single people. The homeowners didn't like that, so they changed the zoning to prohibit more than two unrelated in a house or apartment. What effect do you think that had on housing supply and on rents?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are really overplaying the role of government in the quantity of available housing.

In fact, it is in the governments best interests for more dense housing to be built because it means more people paying property taxes which means more money to the government.

Land constraints are what drive housing supply. Why do you think housing is so expensive in San Francisco and Manhattan? Because they are surrounded by water.
Then why does government impose land constraints? Why is R1 zoning so widespread? Why is it so difficult to get a variance if one's not politically connected? Why are there minimum lot sizes in many communities?

San Francisco and NYC have geographical constraints but rent control and other government policies make them more expensive than they otherwise would be.

The 8 Reasons Why New York Rents Are So Ridiculously High - Business Insider

Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharon View Post
This will affect some HOA rules for some are really restrictive. This should be interesting to see. IMO, this will serve to split this nation even further.

I say bring it on, since I believe exclusionary classism should be exposed at every opportunity.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Then why does government impose land constraints? Why is R1 zoning so widespread? Why is it so difficult to get a variance if one's not politically connected? Why are there minimum lot sizes in many communities?

San Francisco and NYC have geographical constraints but rent control and other government policies make them more expensive than they otherwise would be.

The 8 Reasons Why New York Rents Are So Ridiculously High - Business Insider

The very properties of a variance contribute to the difficulty of obtaining one. Problem is, a variance goes with the property, and thus is transferred along with the property as opposed to attaching to only the existing owner.

This is often the poison pill which dooms variance applications. Most variances are sought by beneficial - or at least, benign - owners with good intentions. Neighbors who weigh in on the application are usually not worried about the current owner's plans, but about all the negative possibilities held by future owners.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I say bring it on, since I believe exclusionary classism should be exposed at every opportunity.
You do realize the ones who run things (aristocracy) are not going to have section 8 in their hoods right? Without "classes" who is going to work to feed those who do not work? You will never be rid of classes.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
It seems that this only affects new housing and cities that accept funds for housing. I could be wrong, but I don't see how the poor are going to be able to access pricy neighborhoods that are already built out.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
You do realize the ones who run things (aristocracy) are not going to have section 8 in their hoods right? Without "classes" who is going to work to feed those who do not work? You will never be rid of classes.
But it's important to realize that class is just a social construct. In real life there are no "classes" of people, there are just people. If it's a social construct, it can indeed be modified.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
More social engineering.

Ridiculous.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well they ruined the ones they're living in now or why else does the government want to put them where the middle class lives?

The middle class pays to live where it lives, the poor will live free but where the government puts them. Why should anyone work hard for a living when the government makes sure the welfare slackers have it better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And this is not about race at all because middle class blacks and latinos already can buy or rent where they wish and can afford, this is to make sure the welfare queens and their boyfriends can live in nice suburbs and neighborhoods they will trash, just like they've trashed the neighborhoods they live in now.
Thanks, CD is still not permitting me to give you any more reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Where in the constitution is the power for the federal government to do this given?
Here: "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." --James Madison

Oh wait a minute, that's not it is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Methinks there are other policy goals that could be accomplished via the "disparate impact" principle.

For example, ending the war on drugs, since the "disparate impact" burden negatively affects nonwhites more than whites.

Or ending affirmative action for white women, since white women getting AA hurts nonwhites.
Subversive! Off with his head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I say build HUD homes and apartments in the Hamptons. Where ever a politician lives, the neighbor must be a poor person. the electric line, water, and cable lines must be connected to the politician's house so they pay the bills for these poor folks. even build HUD on the white house lawn. this Is only "fair"
Our leaders would never tolerate living under the laws they make. Not for a moment.

In fairness, though, very few politicians live in the Hamptons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
There are many ways if one is motivated. Loans, grants, scholarships, or even (!) get a job and pay for it as I di with my undergraduate degree. Employers paid for one of my grad degrees as did my wife's employer. But like I said, they key is motivation, which some are simply not and thus destined to struggle more due to their own laziness.
All you have to do is register at a college--any college, even DeVry or ITT. The feds throw the money at you like no tomorrow. Then we wonder why there's a student-loan "crisis"... it's really a repayment issue since so many never had any intention of paying any of this 'free money' back... sorry but I worked two jobs my entire way through grad school... yes I want a medal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't expect someone else to pay for it, but I do expect government to get out of the way and let the private sector build as much housing as it is willing and capable of building. Imagine if government imposed a quota on the number of cars which could be imported. Oh wait, we already tried that, and then decided that was protectionism and anti-competitive and un-American.

The game is rigged and it's wrong to jack up the price of housing through regulation (supply control) and then tell me nothing says I can't move there. The regulation was intended to send and enforce the message that people like me can't move there.
There are countless cheap places to live. Yes there is one thing that says you can't live in NYC or SF... you need the money to do so, because those are not among the cheap places to live. Unless you're on the dole of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies