Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,826,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am wondering where in the constitution it says life is fair?

Children in low income still get an education, probably free breakfast, lunch and dinner, their parents get subsidized housing, low or no cost utilities, free food, free or low cost day care, free or low cost health care amoung many other subsidies. But this is some how not enough and I need to now pay for them to live next door to me.

So yes, I say sorry tough luck.
a substandard education.

let them go to your kids top public school.

of course youll never support that though.

thats one of the things i disagree with the libs on. let these kids in these slums go to the best public and private schools. bring back free school vouchers, etc.

but like i said, if these kids start popping up in school, the white parents will go crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
a substandard education.

let them go to your kids top public school.

of course youll never support that though.

thats one of the things i disagree with the libs on. let these kids in these slums go to the best public and private schools. bring back free school vouchers, etc.

but like i said, if these kids start popping up in school, the white parents will go crazy.
The kids can go to school where they live.

Also I don't have kids; secondly, where I live is not even close to a white top public school. Where I live is 32% white, I am actually in the minority for my city and I still don't want low income students brought in.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Disparate impact wouldn't stand a chance in the courts if we weren't a country full of innumerate idiots.

I see it here all the time, people that not only couldn't even remotely do any statistics is one thing....the swarms that don't even grasp what correlation or other basic concepts.

Pretty much anybody that ever tries to prove something using "red states" or "blue states" makes me want to chuck a stats book at thier head. lol.
Amen.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
All kids deserve the same chance, they also deserve to have parents that care enough to see that they get that chance, but chit happens.

Did I not ask you a few questions that you can't seem to answer or ignore because you don't have an answer. No problem.
i never saw questions.

im glad you agree with me that each kid deserves the same chance.

simple solution to this education crisis.

1. focus on the top performing schools. follow what they are doing and bring that model out to these poorer communities.

2. school vouchers for any low income family who is in a poor performing school district. free bus/transport to nearby top performing school.

3. student exchange for kids with absent parents. short jist of it would be troubled teen is mentored by host family in the community, possibly staying with them as well. host family would rub off on the kid over time and help the kid get straight. (i could see this being very successful among christian evangelicals)

three easy steps and i just solved the education problem.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

5,648 posts, read 5,069,518 times
Quote:
simple question.

do all kids deserve the same chance to make it?
Simple question for you: Do you believe that life is fair? (If the answer is yes, or that it can be through legislation, then excuse me for a moment while I laugh my ass off!)

Quote:
if they do, you would not be opposed to lower income kids moving to your neighborhood, getting that solid education your kid gets and becoming productive citiziens.
Statistically, those from lower income households/neighborhoods are more prone towards crime and anti-social behaviors. They learn that from their parents, or more likely their mothers (since fathers seldom stay around in such circumstances,) who have such children due to making bad choices. I do not want such individuals in my neighborhood as there are enough bad choices to go around in the best of circumstances.

I do not believe for one second that putting a cockroach into a jar of butterflies will make it beautiful and/or more acceptable.

Quote:
i think many of you believe these kids are lost causes from the minute they are born.
Not necessarily, but there are enough that I think they're better off in their native environment. Some will succeed, but the majority will not, and continue the cycle. I don't want my home nor family in close proximity when that happens.

Those who rise above are welcome after the fact, not before. Like I said, I grew up poor and know how it goes. I worked hard to get away from those who failed and don't want to be around them now.

Quote:
i say give them a chance, let them move in and get the same opportunities your kids get.
Like most libs, you're really free with the notion of using the resources of others.

Then take them into your home, or let the parents who bred them provide the opportunities! You do realize that you're free to write a check to whatever cause you believe is effective in this matter, or to volunteer your time to work with such children.

Quote:
conservatives say sorry, tough luck.
I'll just say 'good luck'. Let us know how this all works out.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
3. student exchange for kids with absent parents. short jist of it would be troubled teen is mentored by host family in the community, possibly staying with them as well. host family would rub off on the kid over time and help the kid get straight. (i could see this being very successful among christian evangelicals)
Oh, sure! I see the sterling silverware disappearing and weed or a crack pipe being found under the visitors pillow.

I've never heard of putting rotten apples into a barrel to be cured by all of the good apples.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Oh, sure! I see the sterling silverware disappearing and weed or a crack pipe being found under the visitors pillow.

I've never heard of putting rotten apples into a barrel to be cured by all of the good apples.
youve never heard of mentoring troubled teens?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
youve never heard of mentoring troubled teens?
Sure I have. Go find some to mentor should you wish to do so. You deciding to move them to my neighborhood that I should mentor them is not an acceptable solution.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Sure I have. Go find some to mentor should you wish to do so. You deciding to move them to my neighborhood that I should mentor them is not an acceptable solution.
why you afraid of mentoring

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
why you afraid of mentoring
Show me where I said I was. You just said that, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies