Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I feel guilty for not a damn thing. My ansectors were never slave owners and even if they were it is of no consequence now. Many use slavery as an excuse not try or blame it when they don't succeed. There were many different races, religions and cultures that were slaves at one point or another but blacks are the only ones I ever hear using it as an excuse. Perhaps instead of wallowing in what you have NEVER actually experienced you should say I will succeed no matter what.
Honestly, when is the last time you heard a black person say I can't work my ancestors were slaves?? Cause I have never heard that and I've been around black people my entire life.

Sounds like you are full of it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Please also stop with the Africans sold us. We already know this. Either way, it's not going to make black people forget that slavery existed for over 400 years in this country with another 100 years of jim crow attached. I mean you want black people to forget 500 years of history, yet I hear white people reference the 'old country' all the time which is sometimes just as far back.

If Europeans had never ruined Africa it would have never been the mess it turned into. Please pick up a book on European colonialism and educate yourself more on how it ruined Africa instead of spouting off ignorance. And as for your statement, sub saharan Africa is currently the second fastest growing region in the world also and six of the world's ten fastest economies are in that region. In an ideal world, colonialism would have never existed and perhaps Africa would have been more prosperous before now.
There comes a time when people have to take an inventory of their lives.

#1. There is nobody alive in 2013 who endured the Transatlantic Slavery Trade.

#2. SOME blacks in America still cry disadvantage because of "slavery" - most do not.

#3. MOST blacks in America succeed despite the social pressures that some black people perceive to be real and continue to scapegoat their lives and blame their failure on slavery and discrimination.

#4. There are immigrants who have come to the USA since the 1960's from Asia and Central/South America who are in a better social/financial picture than many black Americans.

What's wrong with this picture?

P.S. - Sub Saharan Africa is a growing region because of Chinese economic development, e.g. - mineral exploitation.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
[quote=LuckyGem;30668597]There comes a time when people have to take an inventory of their lives.

#1. There is nobody alive in 2013 who endured the Transatlantic Slavery Trade.
Read my prior post. I ALREADY said this.

#2. SOME blacks in America still cry disadvantage because of "slavery" - most do not.
No black person is crying over slavery, they are upset over racist behavior by whites that deny them jobs, education and other economic benefits. The crazy thing is I hear white folks saying black folks need to do better, then when black people start getting jobs, education, and money, now we have to much power, taking all the white man's job and education.

#3. MOST blacks in America succeed despite the social pressures that some black people perceive to be real and continue to scapegoat their lives and blame their failure on slavery and discrimination.
Give me an example of someone scapegoating. Sounds like some bitterness on your part.

#4. There are immigrants who have come to the USA since the 1960's from Asia and Central/South America who are in a better social/financial picture than many black Americans.
Yes, after blacks fought hard in the civil rights movement to get equality. Many Asians that come over here already had money back in Asia too. They also did not have to deal with being told for over 500 years that they are inferior. I think American blacks are doing quite well after over 500 years of oppression.

What's wrong with this picture?

P.S. - Sub Saharan Africa is a growing region because of Chinese economic development. And I'm glad, because Europeans surely never helped it.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:

No black person is crying over slavery, they are upset over racist behavior by whites that deny them jobs, education and other economic benefits. The crazy thing is I hear white folks saying black folks need to do better, then when black people start getting jobs, education, and money, now we have to much power, taking all the white man's job and education.
Yes.

There are black people who still cry over slavery. They are the same who ask for reparations. They are few, but they still cry over slavery.

I never hear white people say black people need to do better, when they have jobs.

If blacks have so much "power", why are there so many dead beat dads who work and don't pay child support, but wait until the state forces them to pay child support. When they finally pay - ordered to pay usually because of so many years of red tape, they don't pay until the kid is a teen, and the mother supports the kid for years. That reinforces negative family values. Those negative family values are carried over generationally because of the absent black father and the cycle of unstable/bad family values continues.

Bottom line. If black families were more solid, black men would be more solid, not looked at as criminals so often and less feared in society.

Time for dead beat blacks to straighten up their act.

After what I've said, in the eyes of some people, I guess they think I'm a racist for saying what I believe is the truth.

In the end who cares? Obviously not "enough" black people, and certainly not "enough" black men.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 07-26-2013 at 12:43 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Give me an example of someone scapegoating. Sounds like some bitterness on your part.
Example of scapegoating?

"I didn't get the job because I'm black."

Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Yes, after blacks fought hard in the civil rights movement to get equality. Many Asians that come over here already had money back in Asia too. They also did not have to deal with being told for over 500 years that they are inferior. I think American blacks are doing quite well after over 500 years of oppression.]
I absolutely believe that immigrant groups and social minorities have used the black civil rights struggle to their advantage in order to succeed in the USA. They are using that template as a guide to succeed. Why haven't many in black america? (I said Many not MOST)

What black americans failed to do in the aftermath of the civil rights struggle was assimilate.

Black american families were more cohesive socially with regard to family values before WW2 and the Vietnam War.

After WW2 black families were more less homogeneous. Why is that? Social programs geared toward absent fathers and government benefits became the rule in the aftermath - Korean war era/Vietnam era.

All of these "hand up" programs were created by the democratic party to make lifelong voters for the democrat party. Why do so many blacks have allegiance to the democrats? I'll never understand. Democrat social programs were created to be a self destructive agent for the black community. Welfare. The same democrat party in 2013 pandering to the latino/immigrant population - history repeating. Creating lifelong voters of these groups by offering hand outs and pandering to race baiters.

The end game is Detroit. Which is a metaphor.

Wake up.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 07-26-2013 at 01:08 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
African slavery was horrible. That shouldn't cloud the facts though. Africans & Europeans had been partnered in the African Slave trade for 800 years when the United States finally got involved. Within 100 years we fought a Civil War where millions of white men died & soon African Slavery in our country & in Europe was over. What about a National Holiday for black folks to honor all the white men who died to end African Slavery?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
African slavery was horrible. That shouldn't cloud the facts though. Africans & Europeans had been partnered in the African Slave trade for 800 years when the United States finally got involved. Within 100 years we fought a Civil War where millions of white men died & soon African Slavery in our country & in Europe was over. What about a National Holiday for black folks to honor all the white men who died to end African Slavery?
That's called MEMORIAL DAY.

Next time to show reverence is May 26, 2014.

That's a Monday.

Hope you're here to observe it.

..... You're welcome.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
The continual dwelling on slavery and racial comments is celebration ? Celebration of being the victim, seems more like it. Get a positive attitude, live for the future instead of the past. You will go a lot further.

Read my previous quote. Reading, comprehension, retention and keeping up is part of intelligence conversation.

If this goes on for another century, this country is doomed. We will never pull out of the mess we are in.

I have endured many hateful, hurtful things in my life and I have had people tell me to "get over it". That made me angry. But, I found that I could never really move on with my life and be successful until I gave the feelings of victimization and anger. It was hard but, I did it to the best of my ability. I hope some of you can do the same.
And you're white, right? The entire system is designed FOR YOU. I find it extremely frustrating when white people look past that basic fact.

Slavery was over 150 years ago, yup. But segregation, real-estate red lining, blatant discrimination against peoples names, a stacked criminal justice system, and so on, are either STILL realities, or have existed within our life times. I don't understand why some people DO NOT get that. Or simply refuse to.

It's like cutting off a persons legs, then 20 years later bitching at them for not being able to walk yet.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
And you're white, right? The entire system is designed FOR YOU. I find it extremely frustrating when white people look past that basic fact.

Slavery was over 150 years ago, yup. But segregation, real-estate red lining, blatant discrimination against peoples names, a stacked criminal justice system, and so on, are either STILL realities, or have existed within our life times. I don't understand why some people DO NOT get that. Or simply refuse to.

It's like cutting off a persons legs, then 20 years later bitching at them for not being able to walk yet.
Quote:
Slavery was over 150 years ago, yup.real-estate red lining, blatant discrimination against peoples names,
It's illegal to do any of what you posted above.

If that happens you have a civil rights case.

People self segregate. Look at a real estate map.

Stacked legal system. read my post above. if black men cared more about their kids after Vietnam/korean war era when the kennedy/johnson welfare became the norm the nation would have a different image of black men as a whole. So sad the majority of black men who are law abiding can't change the views of the public who hold discriminating views against the group as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies