Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times

Advertisements

[quote=simetime;30682252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Know what tickles my fancy?

All these white boys on CD with no family background of slavery and no experience of discrimination telling the descendents of slaves to "get over it."

Kinda like male RWNJs losing their minds over how women handle their pregnancies.

Just get over it. Ain't your pregnancy.

Kinda like white southerners still PO'd over losing the Civil War.

Just get over it. It happened a long time ago.

Kinda like Christians wanting the gummint to recognize and support their favorite middle eastern myth, but restrict everybody else's.

Get over yourselves.

Amusing.

Once again wisdom prevails...........
Well said !

"Remember that while "race" itself isn't real, racism is, and our country's long and well-documented history with racism has very real, lasting effects. Therefore, being "colorblind" is not helpful because it cripples our ability to deal with the tangible effects of racial inequality in just about every area of life."

National Conversation on Race: Time for Some Ground Rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800
What tickles me is that you ADMIT most of us had absolutely no ancestry related to slavery yet can't seem to grasp why we're sick of having to hear about it, be blamed for it and expected to feel guilty over it!

How about because of your apathy or even parcipation in the institutionalization of racism and discrimination you have become part of the probelm as oppose to the solution

Yes my PARCIPATION...PARTICIPATION in treating others as equal and expecting them to BE equal...must seem racist to you! But that's your PROBELM!

Oh and guess what....if anyone's ancestors who came to America as slaves had stayed in Africa they probably wouldn't exist today, but if they did then they would currently be a slave!

True, they mave have been kings and queens of their respective tribes and proably would have been instrumental to Africa as a whole to fight off colonialism by the europeans
PROABLY?
It wouldn't have mattered if they were kings and queens...simple fact is that a more dominant tribe captured them and enslaved them...then sold them off! If it hadn't been for them arriving in America they and their offspring would most likely have never enjoyed freedom...as the African slave trade is continuing to this day!

Let's also not forget that only a small fraction of slaves brought West wound up in what is now the USA..

What do you consider to be "small"? Considering at one poijnt of history there were more blacks in the south than whites, that does not sound like a small number to me A majority of the African slaves went to the Caribbean and other places...not what is now the USA.

Perhaps reading with a bit more comprehension could have helped you not make this silly comparison.
Read my statement again...I said only a small percentage of slave that were brought to the WEST came to what is now the USA....how would that translate into white/black ratio?
Here's a hint...it doesn't.

I'll help you out here and try and dumb this down for you.

If 10 slaves are sold shipped West but 7 go to the Caribbean and 3 go to what is now the USA then only a small percent went to the USA...30%.
Stay with me here... 30 is smaller than 70 so that must mean that 30% is also smaller than 70%...still with me? Okay so then saying a small percentage of the 10 went to the USA would be a correct statement. Got it?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What do you consider to be "small"? Considering at one poijnt of history there were more blacks in the south than whites, that does not sound like a small number to me
I think that poster was referring to the USA's participation in the slave trade. America didn't really have much incentive to buy African slaves when indentured servants were available for almost free and Irish slaves were much cheaper.

Estimates

Portugal/Brazil: 5,848,265
Great Britain: 3,259,440
France: 1,381,404
Spain/Uraguay: 1,061,524
Netherlands: 554,336
USA: 305,326
Denmark: 111,041

The above numbers closely match the numbers here. http://www.slaverysite.com/Body/fact...%20figures.htm

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Honestly, when is the last time you heard a black person say I can't work my ancestors were slaves?? Cause I have never heard that and I've been around black people my entire life.

Sounds like you are full of it to me.

I have heard many blacks use "the white man is keepin me down" crap as an excuse not to succeed.

Sounds like you are clueless to me.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
And you're white, right? The entire system is designed FOR YOU. I find it extremely frustrating when white people look past that basic fact.

Slavery was over 150 years ago, yup. But segregation, real-estate red lining, blatant discrimination against peoples names, a stacked criminal justice system, and so on, are either STILL realities, or have existed within our life times. I don't understand why some people DO NOT get that. Or simply refuse to.

It's like cutting off a persons legs, then 20 years later bitching at them for not being able to walk yet.

Sorry but it is actually easier for blacks with an education to get the job then the same white person, companies not only get tax breaks for hiring minorities but they don't want to do anything that could bring a lawsuit.

Blacks if they can afford it can buy a house anywhere they want, problem is that many simply don't have the education, job and the money to buy in "white" neighborhoods. Many white are sick of hearing about how bad blacks have it, well sorry to say most put themselves there. Example: about 10 years ago they build beautiful apartments in our town, they were for lower income people well today they are torn to crap and are 95% black, they have destroyed them, then complain about where they live. Well guess what it was not like that when you moved in so don't blame the white man blame yourself for not taking care of it. It may sound harsh but it needs to be said. Just look at some of the worst crime cities in this country are any of them predominantly white? Nope they are not, that speaks volumes. You can't blame the white man for that.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Considering that the dump of a continent that your ancestors came from, you need to be equally glad. After all, if where they came from was so great, why are you here?

As for your suggestion about what to study, no thanks. I know enough.

Again, your ancestors came from a dump too. That's why you're here. After all, I don't see you hitchhiking for the next boat back to Europe.

and^^^ never will I don't see american people wearing European gold emblems around there necks? never!!, but I do see black locals wearing gold emblems of Africa around their necks all the time, not to mention African flags hanging out of their cars decals of Africa on their shirts etc.. what i'm trying to say is some of them worship the place, but would never go back there to live there...

and it was just a point about some good things come from bad things, when a hurricane wipes out a place, some good things come from the destruction. if you are in the tree removal service you will be really making money, if you are a contractor you will have a big smile on your face, if you are a thug looter you also will be smiling, if you do auto body work you also will be a happy camper after a hurricane.. so all the haters just get over it, that's how things work.. in the future Europe will be governed by sharia law!! and it's there own fault nobody else's... in 100 years America will be governed by Mexicans AND THATS THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES...

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There's a big difference:

Caucasians weren't bought and sold like cattle on a large scale basis. That was slavery in the US.

Caucasians weren't hanged, shot, tortured and terrorized for wanting to vote. Caucasians weren't arrested for not giving their bus seats up to Black men. Caucasians have always been able to enter the front door of hotels and other establishments. Caucasians didn't experience Jim Crow laws. That didn't happen 5+ generations ago.

Maybe not in this country but in others they were. How about the Jews they have been persecuted for more years then blacks, I don't hear them complaining and saying they deserve what they did not earn because millions were enslaved and killed.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 PM

580 posts, read 449,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
my parents immigrated here in the 50's from Italy. I can trace my ancestry back to two small towns, one outside of Naples, and one outside of Cosenza.
Oh! How nice for you! Hey, check this out though...

There are a large portion of blacks in this country that can only trace their ancestry back...oh, bout 150 years...

...why do you think that is? Hmmm?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:22 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Maybe not in this country but in others they were. How about the Jews they have been persecuted for more years then blacks, I don't hear them complaining and saying they deserve what they did not earn because millions were enslaved and killed.
Please. We have a holocaust memorial museum here in the US nation's capital, even though we didn't even take part in the event. And there are plenty of Jewish people who make an annual trip to that museum. Also, Germany long since agreed to pay reparations to the state of Israel. Meanwhile, I remember people losing their minds when congress offered black people an apology for the centuries of blatant discrimination it inflicted on black Americans.

Folks have it right - there's definitely a group of people who need to "get over" slavery, but most of them are white.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
The ignorance in the bolded statement is astounding. You seriously need to educate yourself. Slavery may have been abolished more than a century ago, but its remnants are still alive and well. You said "who cares?" Well, I care. Let me explain something to you. Black people can be intelligent, strong, capable, successful, prosperous, and work diligently to overcome adversity while still acknowledging the truth of how our ancestors got here and what they went through. Acknowledging slavery does not mean that you throw up your hands and give up. It actually means that you show reverance for those who came before you, those who paved the road for you, and those who had the strength and fortitude to endure a hell that we can never completely understand ourselves. To be bought and sold and whipped like animals, and to be viewed as only 3/5 of a person, that's a level pure degradation that I will never be able to wrap my mind around.

So for you folks to have the audacity to tell black people that we need to "get over slavery," (as if it was just some little slight that happened a while back, no big deal) it is a slap in the face. The arrogance and ignorance in that statement are just astounding. You do not get to tell me to forget my heritage. You do not get to tell me about how great black people supposedly had it after slavery was abolished. Some of you act like slavery was abolished one day and the next day everything was all sunshine and rainbows and white and black people were walking down the street together and breaking bread like best friends. The end of slavery did not mean the end of mistreatment. And acknowledging that truth is not playing the victim, it is not whining, it is just stating the damn facts. You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to make up your own "facts." My own grandfather died before black people even had the right to vote, so you need to stop acting like negative treatment of black people was something that only took place over a century ago. Plenty of bull has happened a lot more recently than that.

As for "white guilt," I really don't give a rat's ass if white people feel guilty or not. I don't live my life based on what white people think or feel. How any white person feels is their business, not mine. But whenever certain white people start spouting this "you black people need to get over slavery" nonsense, I will tell you every time to stay in your lane and stop trying to speak on something that you know nothing about. You do not get tell black people how we should feel about slavery. You may think you rule everything, but you don't rule this space and you certainly do not get to dictate what I should or should not feel. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever deny my ancestors' history. Slavery happens to be a part of that history. And if you don't want to hear about it, that's your problem. You do not have the authority to invalidate another person's truth just because you don't want to hear about it. Some of you people need to get over yourselves and realize that the world does not revolve around you and what you're "sick of hearing about." Slavery (and its complex legacy) is one of those uncomfortable truths about this country that many of you like to pretend never existed, and you want everyone else to bury their heads in the sand along with you. That's just not going to happen.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself fully enough, or perhaps your comprehension of what I wrote is not the same as mine. I don't ask anyone to forget what their ancestry was. Personally, I find researching my ancestry to be fascinating. That being said, if you are letting what happened to your ancestors and/or what your ancestors did shape your view of the world then you are limiting what contributions you are capable of making.

My ancestors on one side of the family were among the first North American victims of organized biological warfare, had their way of life completely destroyed, were systematically murdered by the people who signed treaties with them, lost everything they owned, and walked the Trail of Tears. To this day I have relatives that live on reservations in conditions that differ very little from the ghettos of the inner city, other than the view.

On the other side of my family, my ancestors go back to France and Norway, descended from younger sons of noble houses and spreading out to other areas of the world. When they hit Ellis Island, the people working there screwed up the last name so bad that it took over 5 years for us to trace the lineage back to Europe with any degree of certainty. More than a few relatives in the old country were killed during the German invasions of WW2, and some from the new country gave their lives to push those invasions back.

Guess what? Other than giving me some great stories to talk about, none of that makes a bit of difference in the way I live, the way I raise my kids, or the way I treat other people. I concern myself with how people treat me and the people I know, not with how their ancestors treated my ancestors or how my ancestors treated their ancestors. History is history, and the purpose of writing down history is to hopefully keep us from making the same mistakes again. I'm not going to sit around and be bitter about what happened to my ancestors, I'm not going to whine about how they were mistreated, and I'm not going to hold some sort of grudge because things didn't work out for them. What I am going to do is try to make sure that my children, who will be part of the future of this country, learn to be open minded and accepting of people without being prejudiced by skin color, ethnicity, or nationality.

But, hey, if someone wants to be righteously indignant with me because I don't give any more of a damn about what happened to their ancestors than I do about what happened to mine, go right ahead. It isn't going to change the fact that your ancestors, like mine, lived in a time that was far different from the time that we are living in now. Nor is it going to change the fact that holding a grudge over something that happened to somebody else from a different generation is an absolutely useless exercise in futility. Remember your ancestry, be proud of your ancestry, but don't let your ancestry shape your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies