Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think everyone should thank us white people for ending slavery in the West and fighting it hard in the rest of the world. There should be a Thank Whitey Day. It was a white guy who invented the Twinkie.
There is. It's called Black History Month. Lol And are you sure about advising blacks to acknowledge whites with the inverted equivalent of the N-word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think that poster was referring to the USA's participation in the slave trade. America didn't really have much incentive to buy African slaves when indentured servants were available for almost free and Irish slaves were much cheaper.

Estimates

Portugal/Brazil: 5,848,265
Great Britain: 3,259,440
France: 1,381,404
Spain/Uraguay: 1,061,524
Netherlands: 554,336
USA: 305,326
Denmark: 111,041

The above numbers closely match the numbers here. http://www.slaverysite.com/Body/fact...%20figures.htm

From what I have learned it was more cost efficent to own slaves rather then pay for the services of an indentured servant considering they only served a specific time period and could just leave and blend in with the general population. They tried native americans, and eventhough they could not blend in with the colonist they were familiar with the land and ecaped quite often, not to mention that they were really rebelious and sometime took their own lives rather than be slaves. Not with the Africans they could not blend in with the general population, were durable (will to survive) and had no where to go in a strange land. In order to enforce this, they were forbidden to speak in their native tongues, split families up, practice their religion or culture which kept them from communicating thus limiting the chances of uprising. On top of that they made laws against teaching the slaves how to read or write, again to prevent communications between them and other plantations. When they were taught how to read it was from passages from the Bible.

Sadly, the time between slavery and the present, the laws and the actions of a few have managed to perserve some of these beliefs and acted upon them with both liberal and conservative ideologies, thus continue to divide a group of people whose leadership has been consistantly assinated and derided by the powers to be, but yet at the same time accused the same group of having no direction.

The thing that I think is interesting is that now the decendants of those same people have basically achieved what their forefathers wanted, a confused group of people with no point of historical reference, broken families, lagging in personal wealth, health and general well being and now pretend like slavery had nothing to do with anything.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Last I checked slave trading is alive and well in Africa...that and getting your arms hacked off.
modern slavery is alive in modern africa

The Arab Muslim Slave Trade Of Africans, The Untold Story - YouTube

The Arab slave trade: 200 million non-Muslim slaves from all colors and nationalities |

Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM

That was very informatative. This explains why the majority of blacks fall under two (Christianity/Islam) of the most exploitive religions in the world because of their complicity in the slave trade. This also explains abeit indirectly, why Latinos are also overrepresented as Catholics as well.

Granted the information was informative it still does not excuse the treatment of blacks AFTER slavery and those affects of present day blacks now.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That was very informatative. This explains why the majority of blacks fall under two (Christianity/Islam) of the most exploitive religions in the world because of their complicity in the slave trade. This also explains abeit indirectly, why Latinos are also overrepresented as Catholics as well.

Granted the information was informative it still does not excuse the treatment of blacks AFTER slavery and those affects of present day blacks now.
I ^^agree..but their is probably more slavery now than any time in the past throughout the world mostly in Africa, India , china Bangladesh middle east.. and other countries with massive poverty.. working 12 to 14 hour days for 1 to 2 dollars a day is legal slavery..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I ^^agree..but their is probably more slavery now than any time in the past throughout the world mostly in Africa, India , china Bangladesh middle east.. and other countries with massive poverty.. working 12 to 14 hour days for 1 to 2 dollars a day is legal slavery..
the sad thing is that most of the world knows this but is more than willing to turn a blind eye for cheap merchandise.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
my parents immigrated here in the 50's from Italy. I can trace my ancestry back to two small towns, one outside of Naples, and one outside of Cosenza. I truly apologize for such things as Chef Boy ar Dee, Ragu, Prego, Pizza Hut, Dominos, and any other filth that people dare call Italian food.

Come to my home, I can make you Broccoli Rabe and sausage on real bread, potato gnocchi from scratch, chicken cacciatore, rabbit cacciatore, etc etc.

Other than that I have zero white guilt. No need to have any. Once I hear somebody give me the pity me I'm black speech they get immediately tuned out...never to be acknowledged again.
FYI, Italians have a history of being racist as well. Look at the current story in the news about Italy and the constant racial events the first black minister is going through.

Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister

Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 AM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
It seems we should place less emphasis on race as the core of our focus and more emphasis on the effects that the history of Western slavery has had on modern societies - understanding the long-term, causal chains that led from the initiation of the Atlantic slave trade to the current race-relations in the US, Europe, etc is critical to addressing the many lingering problems and injustices. No one today is responsible for the actions of our ancestors centuries ago, but that doesn't mean our particular position in society is not partially a result of those actions. It's important that we acknowledge this and recognize that as responsible members of a collective society we must use the hand dealt to us by our personal, ancestral, cultural histories to find ways to resolve the negatives that resulted from the awful things found in those histories. Blame and guilt aren't constructive, but neither is simply saying 'slavery is over, get over it' because while slavery is long gone (well, actually, slavery is alive and well but no one really seems to care about modern slavery cause it's such an uncomfortable topic) the effects of it are still very present.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
the sad thing is that most of the world knows this but is more than willing to turn a blind eye for cheap merchandise.

like all those people that died in that building collapse in Bangladesh, remember reading that the workers in that crappy constructed building were making just a little over a dollar a day. if that is not slavery what is?? I guess if people cant see it, then they don't care.. sad world we live in.. people need stop dwelling on the past and focus on today with human suffering for profit..

Old 07-28-2013, 01:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
like all those people that died in that building collapse in Bangladesh, remember reading that the workers in that crappy constructed building were making just a little over a dollar a day. if that is not slavery what is?? I guess if people cant see it, then they don't care.. sad world we live in.. people need stop dwelling on the past and focus on today with human suffering for profit..
You DO have a point there.

I guess we don't care about workers in other countries as long as we can get that cheap shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies