Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

We can forget about slavery. But what about Jim Crow, separate but equal, redlining and institutional racism that have caused the mess that we are in today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
No, laziness, complacency and an attitude of entitlement is what got us where we are today...

Old 07-28-2013, 03:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We can forget about slavery. But what about Jim Crow, separate but equal, redlining and institutional racism that have caused the mess that we are in today?
You left out the Great Society programs.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I think if my great grandaddy had been a slave and 1970 they started letting me vote and eat as t Walgreen's I would be angry
I want to be fair but I am hoping that my post makes it better not worse

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Please. We have a holocaust memorial museum here in the US nation's capital, even though we didn't even take part in the event. And there are plenty of Jewish people who make an annual trip to that museum. Also, Germany long since agreed to pay reparations to the state of Israel. Meanwhile, I remember people losing their minds when congress offered black people an apology for the centuries of blatant discrimination it inflicted on black Americans.

Folks have it right - there's definitely a group of people who need to "get over" slavery, but most of them are white.

LMAO!!! Oh I see because there is a Memorial the millions of Jews that where killed don't matter? As for the reperations, NO blacks should not receive them and here is why. No one country/government is responsible for black slavery as the Germans were with the Jews. It is very different. Sorry that you can not see that and that you totally missed the point I was making or chose to ignore it. I said Jews do not use the fact that millions were killed as an excuse to not succeed. Blacks do.

This government should not apologies since slavery did NOT start with the US it was going on long before that in Africa as black sold lower class blacks and the Spaniards actually started the slavery routes NOT the US so why should we apologize? Ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
But did white folks not enact over 100 years of Jim Crow? So basically Jim Crow is made up?? Lol, what is Jim Crow just a big misunderstanding and really white folks looove them some black people. They didn't mean to string up black men by their balls, sick dogs and waterhoses on black folk, and murder MLK.

And even though that stuff was happening just a few decades ago, all the racism in the white community just magically disappeared. Please

I guess you skipped that part in your history class but you ought to be old enough to use a simple Google search. Something tells me you don't know the first thing about anything related to what black people have gone through or really any other non-white other than some racist stuff your parents probably spouted off to breed another racist white adult.

Oh stop withe the dramatics. All of this has ZERO to do with blacks in 2013, and yet they still use it as an excuse when they don't get what they want. It is ridiculous. Blacks were not the only people that where slaves thought out history. If every group that was enslaved used it as an excuse no one would ever succeed. Enough is enough, blacks are NOT the only group to have suffered yet they are the onle group that has problems excelling.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Oh stop withe the dramatics. All of this has ZERO to do with blacks in 2013, and yet they still use it as an excuse when they don't get what they want. It is ridiculous. Blacks were not the only people that where slaves thought out history. If every group that was enslaved used it as an excuse no one would ever succeed. Enough is enough, blacks are NOT the only group to have suffered yet they are the onle group that has problems excelling.
Slavery, and its aftermath determined our modern day caste system. To pretend that it is irrelevant to present day politics is pretty naive.

Humans have slaved people since humanity started, but considering our nation's core principle was that all people are created equal, and then decided certain types of people were 3/5s of a person absolutely shapes the way things work today.

The fact that so many people refuse to acknowledge how we have structurally set up a system where certain groups have extraordinary hurdles to jump through to get ahead is absurd.

Although i am supposedly an individual who is supposed to be judged by the content of my own character, quite a lot of posters here are happy to lump my fellow black americans into one big group of hivemind. Why is that? Why am I in one of the few groups that isn't entitled to american individualism?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
So what is you want?
An apology?

Okay!

I'm sorry someone I didn't know mistreated someone you didn't know...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
It has plenty to do with it. Because we have racist whites like you still in power in politics, jobs, and law enforcement.

Blacks weren't the only slaves in history, but we are the only people who were slaves in the U.S. Let's not forget that Jim Crow just ended. Blacks feel the same way about white racism, enough is enough. Stop with the ignorant stereotypes. It's time for whites to let it go and move on. Unfortunately, based on this board I can tell many white people still hold racist beliefs.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So what is you want?
An apology?

Okay!

I'm sorry someone I didn't know mistreated someone you didn't know...
Your sorry, lame azz apology isn't putting food on my table nor paying my light bill. Fluck an apology. Black folks want want equal opportunities like everyone else and to be treated fairly.

America got rich off the backs of black people and then proceeded to treat us like crap for decades after slavery ended and we are supposed to act like all is well when racism is still quite prevalent in today's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies