Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Exactly...

There are hundreds of examples of privilege for people born athletically gifted. Real world, practical examples that don't need fudged studies.

Why do we not rail against this massive privilege for an extreme minority?
The point was to expose the lazy, flawed legal *** social privilege logic in the Burress example, not to start a discussion about athlete privilege that I don't much care about. I sense your sarcasm, but you might want to tone it down because it's hard to read in print. Most people avoid sarcasm when communicating in writing because it can't always be detected. However, if it makes you feel good....

Old 03-17-2014, 03:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I appreciate the attempt at silly rhetoric, as well as the straw man. I'll reply anyway:

Purposeful means "on purpose" or "intentional". Are you denying that the name for this movement wasn't intentionally chosen? It was, otherwise it would have been more likely to have been called in the "purple spotted train for civil rights", which only sounds semi-intentional, or something as equally as silly or non-relevant to generalizing all white people. All names are intentional. Someone specifically chose the name, and all promoters of the movement endorse the name or they would not promote it. It was and is facilitated by whomever decided they were going to start and promote this racist movement. A choice was on the table at that point in time, and the choice was made to imply through the "white privilege" name the racist generalization that ALL white people shared certain privileges. It's not conspiracy, but I appreciate your straw man attempt in your rhetoric.

Can we examine if other groups have privileges, or is it only whites that are subject to the racist inquisition? To me, it sounds like whites completely lack the power to stop the white privilege movement from being discussed in public or at endorsed events, let alone on forums. That lack of power is some pretty strong evidence that we really don't have much as commoners. Conversely, there are many other groups that would have similar conversations about themselves effectively shut down very quickly. Who has the privilege and the political power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The point was to expose the lazy, flawed legal *** social privilege logic in the Burress example, not to start a discussion about athlete privilege that I don't much care about. I sense your sarcasm, but you might want to tone it down because it's hard to read in print. Most people avoid sarcasm when communicating in writing because it can't always be detected. However, if it makes you feel good....
No, actually it wasn't sarcasm at all.

I misread your first post. I actually agree with you 100%

Apologies

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
You cashed it in on the day you were born...
Just wondering if a minority is born albino, do they get the check as well? White privilege and all.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Good luck proving the boogeyman exists...you're just spewing emotionally...that's ok. Your perpetual, irresponsible discourse will assure that the pot boils over.
You aren't adding any content. You're just engaging in a word dump, peppered by sophistry. You find "discourse" irresponsible" do you? I can see that it rattles you to have your sense of entitlement and your skewed perspectives challenged. Were does the irresponsibility lie? In disagreeing with racist generalizations that stir hatred for white people and attempt to add racial laws and concessions that will undoubtedly take from poor whites the most?

The "pot that boils over" will come from the society that codifies racial privilege and disadvantage, which is the goal that the white privilege movement hopes to further. Before you respond, look up the word "codify" if you don't already know what it means, as there is a huge difference between your perceived, invented concepts of privilege and privilege that is written into law. I assume that you know what it means, but many people would gloss over that word which is central to the argument.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No, actually it wasn't sarcasm at all.

I misread your first post. I actually agree with you 100%

Apologies

Okay, no problem. I apologize for any perceived aggressive tone on my part.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
Boy I wish it did when I was growing up. All those miserable low paying jobs that I did in my lifetime and here all the time I was thinking everyone worked just has hard as me no matter what their skin color.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 PM

510 posts, read 430,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There certainly is situational white privilege, at least.

When any person is within a situation where their group or those who identify with them are calling the shots, they will likely be treated differently from anyone perceived as an outsider.

Honestly, this goes for anyone venturing somewhere where they will be the clear minority. In fact, many ethnicities (especially immigrant communities) have a penchant for promoting their own and bettering their own. "White privilege" on a massive societal scale is just that phenomena X100.
I think Golgi is right on this one. The whole concept of "white privilege" as pushed by government-funded schools, think tanks and elite media in order to generate hate and envy against a group that is now a minority in the largest state in the nation reminds me of "Jew privilege" and how State supported antisemitism started up in pre-war Europe.

There were similar arguments about Jews holding disproportionate power, wealth and influence, yet just as with "white privilege" Jews strangely did not have the power to silence this hate-filled ethnic propaganda aimed at them.

Also in the heat of rhetorical passion we often hear about how once whites become a minority there will be "payback".. Do the privilege theorists see the potential dangers here? Do they think the ends(attacking the dusty 1950s protofeminist concept of "white American patriarchy" via brutal divide and conquer tactics) justify the means?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There certainly is situational white privilege, at least.

When any person is within a situation where their group or those who identify with them are calling the shots, they will likely be treated differently from anyone perceived as an outsider.

Honestly, this goes for anyone venturing somewhere where they will be the clear minority. In fact, many ethnicities (especially immigrant communities) have a penchant for promoting their own and bettering their own. "White privilege" on a massive societal scale is just that phenomena X100.
White privilege on a massive societal scale does not exist, as evidenced by the lack of any scholarships for white students, white professional organizations, white political movements, etc.

Any National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People ala the NAACP would be automatically labelled as racist and shunned. Sure, neo-nazi groups do exist but they do not exist on a massive scale.

Does white privilege exist? Sure, it does. But on a massive societal scale? No, it does not. In 1960 it did absolutely. In 2014, no. Advancing any preference for white people on a massive scale is condemned by modern society at large. As it should be.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Which proves what????
What exactly need to be proven. Its pretty damn simple. Not only are most industries owned and ran by White men but White people still make up a majority of the population in America. So even if you are "less fortunate" as a white person,he likelihood of you knowing someone, who knows someone who can help you get to where you want to be in life is way higher than a 'minority' who is in the same position.

And don't even get me started on the stereotypes that are associated with people of color (esp. black people). But thats another topic right there.

I'm not trying to minimize anybody's accomplishments but to say that White privileged does not exist is naive and shows lack of empathy.

I will say that I personally know some black people who I would consider to be at an advantage over some white people I know

but the numbers don't lie. Nothing needs to be explained...

mas23

Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmmittens View Post
Does this mean there is black privilege in Africa? And hispanic privilege in Mexico?
Um... yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies