Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
So you have a problem with poor folk..OK; then why focus on poor black folk.

Do poor white folk elicite the same response in you?
It's really a poor/rich thing not a race thing. Take a look at the lives of the children of wealthy black families. They have the same advantages as their white counterparts.

There was a time when blacks were held down so fewer of them have successful parents. That's what affirmative action addressed but it has been addressed. Once one generation was given a leg up their children should be starting from a higher point and so on and so on...

My children are more likely to be educated and more likely to get into college because they have educated parents. Dh and I both are first generation college graduates in our families. From here out, because we finished school, our kids and their kids will have a greater likelihood of finishing college. My kids quite likely will inherit over 10 times what I did when my parents died because I've been more successful than my parents were. That will add to their net worth.

It's not a white advantage. It's a having successful parents advantage. We each pave the way for our children. Some of us had parents who did more than others. I started out pretty low on the ladder and moved up a couple of rungs. Hopefully, my kids will move up from there. One wants to be a vet and the other a pediatrician so it just might happen. From stay at home mom in the back woods (my great grandmother) to stay at home mom in the city where kids went to school past 8th grade (my grandmother) to high school graduate/waitress (my mother) to engineer/teacher (me) to vet/pediatrician (my kids). This is the way it works. It's not the color of our skin that resulted in the progression. It's what our parents did/did not do to improve our lives that matters. My mom was just as smart as me or my kids. She just never had the opportunity to go to school. However, the fact she worked for a living improved our standard of living and allowed us to live around people who did and a few of her kids did. In the next generation, more will. and so on and so on and so on...

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 07-23-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
It isnt whether they have priviledge or not, it is what they precive. Just as you precive whether yourself to have priviledge or not.
\
if you beleive you have priviledge, then how do you act towards others...?
You can have class whether you are black or white- No one is going to stop you from carrying yourself with dignity. The problem is people equate class with MONEY..those with money have class and those without don't? I believe that privilege is for the taking...it is not a belief. Frankly I really don't understand this thread...what is privilege anyway? Are you born with it? Can you buy it? Is it granted to you? The days of using such stupid mindless racist terms such as white privilege are gone...everyone has privilege and no one has privilege.

We are from a society that has rights- privilege no longer applies...I really can't get my head around the concept of privilege. Is someone going to stop a black or brown man from entering a museum or from sitting down to eat in a public place?

I don't "perceive" myself as having privilege or not- I DO WHAT I PLEASE - I suggest those who BELIEVE they have no privilege try that- no one is going to stop you.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And that will never happen as long as Democrats are in power. Their sole purpose is to hold on to their power by building a nation of dependents ('slaves' to the system), regardless of color.
you are jsut reverting the discussion back to Deomcrat vs. republican. Sad you cant add to a discussion other than to assess blame.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You can have class whether you are black or white- No one is going to stop you from carrying yourself with dignity. The problem is people equate class with MONEY..those with money have class and those without don't? I believe that privilege is for the taking...it is not a belief. Frankly I really don't understand this thread...what is privilege anyway? Are you born with it? Can you buy it? Is it granted to you? The days of using such stupid mindless racist terms such as white privilege are gone...everyone has privilege and no one has privilege.

We are from a society that has rights- privilege no longer applies...I really can't get my head around the concept of privilege. Is someone going to stop a black or brown man from entering a museum or from sitting down to eat in a public place?

I don't "perceive" myself as having privilege or not- I DO WHAT I PLEASE - I suggest those who BELIEVE they have no privilege try that- no one is going to stop you.
As you stated you are a new immigrant to the US...You may know the histroy of American, but you dont have a history in ameirca.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM

The term WHITE PRIVILEGE and AFRICAN AMERICAN - Have to go..they only serve as a mental and social block to achievement. These terms attempt to ensure that self confidence is compromised. There is no such thing - these things are delusions and that is the last thing your nation needs is more fantasy. As they say you can not keep a good man or woman down...My mother was a prime example back in the 50s...she had no "privilege" She was a poor immigrant who worked - bought property...expanded her property - ran a business..was a feminist who never blamed a man for anything...she made 10 times the money my father made...

In the beginning we had a little house on the lake...by the time my brave mother was done..it was a fine 9 bedroom home on exclusive lake frontage...with other properties in the neighborhood. She did this all without privilege.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
As you stated you are a new immigrant to the US...You may know the histroy of American, but you dont have a history in ameirca.
Firstly you had better look at my location...I am in Canada. AND no I am not a new immigrant. I arrive here when I was less than a year old.. That was over 62 years ago- I have a history...North America is all I have ever known. My family have been here long enough ...all of my siblings were born here...all of my children were born here...all of their children will be born here...This is my land...I have earned it through time and effort and loyalty to my nation.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Firstly you had better look at my location...I am in Canada. AND no I am not a new immigrant. I arrive here when I was less than a year old.. That was over 62 years ago- I have a history...North America is all I have ever known. My family have been here long enough ...all of my siblings were born here...all of my children were born here...all of their children will be born here...This is my land...I have earned it through time and effort and loyalty to my nation.
so you are not american discussing American issues...OK. Sorry I thought you were here...living here with history here.

if you asked me of the race relations in canada...I would say...I dont know? I never lived there and have no experiences with the canadian peoples.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
When the lights are turned on...the roaches scatter.
Lol, you got that right...I'm surprised you of all people would say that..hmm

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModerateHero View Post
^^^JONES GOT OWNED.

And, anyways...new immigrants see America without blinders.
Many see exactly what Black Privilege has done to our society.

Tip: Google: Being White in Philly.
Im often wrong, and often corrected...I dont have a problem with being correct or corrected.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Sorry couldnt resist

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies