Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
That's a good one. I will call my BLACK DAUGHTER-IN-LAW tonight and tell her I'd like to converse with her about race. I will even include my blue-eyed, blond haired son. There were several hundred whites and blacks at the wedding and everyone told me it was one of the best shindigs they had ever attended. And, and, (gasp), blacks and whites even sat at the same tables and danced together.

Trust me, I've been in on this conversation for a long, long time. I just wonder why it is so bloody hard for the mass of people to deal with the issue apart from cheap rhetoric, stereotypes and plain out yelling at others. And that includes my puzzlement with Eric Holder's words as well as the president who I did not vote for. These are supposedly well educated people whose emotions get in the way of any conversation.

Some have mentioned Ms. Rice and Mr. Powell as examples of Republican consideration. I would add Justice Clarence Thomas who is the most thoughtful voting justice on the court and who actually sustains the constitution with his voting. Another Republican appointee.

So please don't accuse me of not having examined my own feelings, beliefs and commitment.
I encourage you to have the conversation, but have it honestly and candidly.

However your assertion about Clarence Thomas is wrong. He's actually not that great of a justice and that's purely from a legal perspective. Also he has sought to distance himself from black Americans and has reliably ruled against our interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
The reality is there is no way to exterminate racism. The good news is these days it is the exception, not the rule. Blacks in general have much more to fear from other blacks than they do from any other races combined.

Interesting how the "conversation" never includes Black racists who hate whites simply because of their skin color, and there definitely are some.
I view the issue now as more of a "class" issue than race.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer. Odly enough, I've never met a working black who had a chip on their shoulder, and I work with many. I don't think I can say the same about Quanell X, Al Sharpton, Etc.

“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
-Jesse Jackson
A working black? As opposed to most blacks who are lazy? Really?

Have you not stopped to think that many of these black villains that conservative pundits love to parade around are nothing more than paper tigers? I mean to tell you the truth, I've never heard of Quanell X.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If I thought I was always being discriminated against, I would always think if someone cut in line ahead of me was a racist, or someone talked harsh to me, they were a racist. I deal with alot of white people and some are just rude and it isn't that they are racists. They are rude and some quite disagreeable.

If I put on racist glasses all day long every slight would be attributed to my skin color. There are lots of rude people out there and some white people I dislike because of it. It is the character I see , not the color.
I can also dislike a black person if they are a totally hateful and for that matter any person . Why should I dislike anyone for their skin color? It is just stupid!
Yes. That was something I pointed out in an earlier post. That black people aren't ALWAYS being discriminated against when something happens. But just because it's not ALWAYS discrimination doesn't mean that it is NEVER discrimination. Discrimination does happen, and pretending it doesn't happen is avoiding the problem, not resolving the problem.

It is stupid to dislike another person for their skin color. But it happens.

It is stupid to dislike another person because they speak English with an accent. It happens.

It is stupid to pay a person more because they happen to have a penis. It happens.

Racism has been such a prevalent part of our society, even being enforced by laws, that a black person doesn't know whether race is why they didn't get a job, or why they didn't get an apartment, or why they didn't get a home loan, or why they didn't get into a school, and so on. It's reasonable to wonder. And it's reasonable to conclude that it does happen a good part of the time. Because studies have been done that show quite clearly that there isn't parity between the races. Blind studies. They demonstrate that discrimination still happens.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I think that the conversation is about the social mechanisms like laws that continue to enforce a race hierarchy. The fact that we've struck down many of those laws, because we as a society espouse the principle of equality, doesn't negate the fact that we still have social mechanisms that enforce inequality. And that's what the conversation is about. The tension on this thread, and in society as well, tells us that though we might aspire to a society where equality is finally achieved, we haven't gotten there yet.

I don't know that we ever will. Because even if we can get to a place where race is not a consideration, we find other things to discriminate against. Whether it's fat people, or ugly people, or uneducated people, or people with accents, or people with disabilities. I think we are born with tolerance, babies don't care much about what other babies look like, they're just curious, but we start learning as babies to not be tolerant. It seems like it's a difficult quality to re-acquire.
The Politically Correct are the very most intolerant. I am sick of them, and what they want. And if Blacks are not racist, why then do they live in urban groups as they do?

I maintain still, all people are racist. I have no problem with any groups, but I have problems with individuals, no matter what color they are.

Are most dogs racist because they don't care much for cats?

For so long as the 'PC' buck nature and the natural orders there will be problems.

I for one would like to see one of these so called in balanced white non- racists walk down west Kansas City Mo at early evening ALONE.

That little PC whiner would be lucky to get out of there with just a good beating.

Blacks are every bit as racist as anyone else!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
My husband and I were at the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis a few months ago. We were looking at a display of photographs showing the firehoses and dogs being set on demonstrators. A black lady next to us said to her kids, "This is what white people did to black people."

One of the kids looked up and me and boy, I felt like a demon or something. I wanted to say, "Hey, I didn't have anything to do with that! My family has always lived in the North! Also, I wasn't even born yet!"

But I just ended up walking away.

I guess I felt the same way when I saw Japanese people at the Arizona Memorial. A part of me deep inside felt like their presence was inappropriate.

Will there always be these divisions between us? That thought makes me sad deep in my bones.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My husband and I were at the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis a few months ago. We were looking at a display of photographs showing the firehoses and dogs being set on demonstrators. A black lady next to us said to her kids, "This is what white people did to black people."

One of the kids looked up and me and boy, I felt like a demon or something. I wanted to say, "Hey, I didn't have anything to do with that! My family has always lived in the North! Also, I wasn't even born yet!"

But I just ended up walking away.

I guess I felt the same way when I saw Japanese people at the Arizona Memorial. A part of me deep inside felt like their presence was inappropriate.

Will there always be these divisions between us? That thought makes me sad deep in my bones.
Some of the most racist people I know are family members. All are Latino of Mexican ancestry and all are stanch liberal democrats who voted for Obama.

At a birthday party for my nephew this last Saturday my sister-in-law a teacher invited one of her fellow teachers to the party, she brought her husband and small child. Yup the husband was black and the wife was white.

You could have heard a pin drop when they walked out into the back yard where the party was going on. I about spit out my beer laughing at all the faces. I was one of the first to shake his hand, say welcome and hand him beer. I also whispered don't mind the mehicans. You should have see the smile on his face. I turned to look at my wife who was talking with her mother and she about bursted out in laughter. My mother-in-law's head almost popped off.

Took about 1 hour for everyone to lighten up. Me and my wife being the only Conservatives at the party had a blast talking with the couple who were themselves Independents and voted for Ron Paul. LMAO!!!!

Many times I will introduce myself at casual gatherings as Bulldogdad the first Mexican/Italian you probably have ever met.

That is how more people need to start a conversation about race.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
A working black? As opposed to most blacks who are lazy? Really?

Have you not stopped to think that many of these black villains that conservative pundits love to parade around are nothing more than paper tigers? I mean to tell you the truth, I've never heard of Quanell X.

Uh, most of my interaction with Blacks is thru work. I don't have many black friends, the few I do have I met and became friends with thru work. I don't hang out with thugs, gansters, or drug addicks, so I can't personally relate to meeting them, because I don't surround myself with criminals. Thus my description of working blacks. The only non working black I know is the guy who murdered my friend, and he's not held a job in a long time, based on the discovery portion of the trial, and he most definitely has a chip on his shoulder. I don't know "most blacks" so I can't comment on "most blacks". I can only comment on blacks I know, and they happen to be working middle class, just like me. Why jump to conclusions so quickly?

Quanell X is Houstons Version of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Etc. Every city has one, and they exploit money from black familes who have suffered some type of loss. It's pitiful.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No I am being honest. I don't even see other whites on a day to day basis. i didn't consider myself a racist until I learned i was here on CD. The intolerant PC have told me so many times, those who I discovered just since Zimmerman who is 1/4er Black was acquitted, are mostly BLACK and Female!

I for one find that information very telling. I find the intolerant PC are mainly black females too. That makes you racists.

But of course you being a black female can walk in west Kansas City Mo., at Dusk with no harm. The telling thing there is you have never been white so you have no idea about BLACKS who are racist do you?

I find it interesting that American Whites take the blame over slavery. You Blacks don't count on the facts that other blacks took black in warfare, and SOLD the conquered to the Muslims who in turn sold Blacks on the world market as it was. As it was was to the Euros as Spanish Dutch, English and French well before 1492.

America as in USA became that in 1789 and slavery was already well established. In less than years than ANY OTHER NATION Slavery was abolished in 1865.
That's just 76 years.

You Blacks have been whining about that ever since. That's 148 years.. You Blacks will still be whining about it by the time it has doubled in years.

Either get over it, and move on, or remain as you are, unwilling to move on, and being the worst of your own problem.

My ancestors fought on the side of the Union and so I carry no guilt what so ever.

I don't need you to tell me what i already KNOW. Blacks are as racist as anyone.
  1. I never said that blacks can't be racist. But your assertion that all blacks are racist is rather extreme and beyond the pale.
  2. Blacks have been here since before the Mayflower. We're talking about 250+ years of slavery followed by 100+ years of legal discrimination and Jim Crow.
  3. Nobody wants whites to feel guilty about anything. Rather we want everyone to recognize that the conditions that exist today are rooted in history and will take a lot of effort and time to overcome.
  4. I will also remember the struggles and sacrifices of my ancestors so I can be grateful for what I have today. It has nothing to do with resenting whites.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here's my response to the quote, and I speak from my own experience. There is plenty that is painful about being judged for something you had nothing to do with. It is quite painful when someone follows you around in a store, even though you know you're not up to any criminal activities. It is very painful when someone tries to justify treating you like a suspect.
You do realize that quote is by Jesse Jackson, a black civil rights leader, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies