Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Isn't it obvious? Those are the desperate and destitute inner city dwellers (aka criminals)
Theres nothing to indicate those people are representative of inner city dwellers, maybe some more info on the pictures location/origin would help the point you are trying to make with the pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
These threads lead me to believe that people expect and accept the statistics surrounding poverty, crime, drug use and teenage birth among poor whites, immigrants and Native Americans because it is only an issue when black people have these problems. The only way to begin solve these problems is to remove race from the mix and look for similarities in poor rural whites, blacks in the inner city, native Americans on reservations and illegal immigrants living in shanty towns on the fringes of corporate farms. The answers can be found by not looking at people who are suffering but looking for people who are doing well in these situations.

I don't think the problem is basic at all. It is complex and it involves too many factors to ever be fixed. Economic problems become social problems and social problems become criminal problems, a circle of problems if you will. America needs to start from the ground up and create living spaces for people who are going to always live at subsistence level ( the same way some plantation owners did) Stop feeding people the lie that if you work hard you will be rich one day and teach poor people to be independent of a master.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
America needs to start from the ground up and create living spaces for people who are going to always live at subsistence level ( the same way some plantation owners did)
America did this decades ago. You may have heard of "the projects."

Quote:
Stop feeding people the lie that if you work hard you will be rich one day
and teach poor people to be independent of a master.
Isn't this in direct contradiction to what you just said? How can people be independant of the master while living in housing built buy the government specifically for the poor?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's when hard drugs hit black communities as well as high unemployment due to manufacturing jobs leaving. Shortly after many black leaders were routinely assassinated by our government.
I don't disagree with that. I think there are societal factors that have had a negative effect in general but have had a more significant impact on the inner cities. My point in pointing that out is that the focus on racism is a distraction from the more immediate damaging influences.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
These threads lead me to believe that people expect and accept the statistics surrounding poverty, crime, drug use and teenage birth among poor whites, immigrants and Native Americans because it is only an issue when black people have these problems. The only way to begin solve these problems is to remove race from the mix and look for similarities in poor rural whites, blacks in the inner city, native Americans on reservations and illegal immigrants living in shanty towns on the fringes of corporate farms. The answers can be found by not looking at people who are suffering but looking for people who are doing well in these situations.

I don't think the problem is basic at all. It is complex and it involves too many factors to ever be fixed. Economic problems become social problems and social problems become criminal problems, a circle of problems if you will. America needs to start from the ground up and create living spaces for people who are going to always live at subsistence level ( the same way some plantation owners did) Stop feeding people the lie that if you work hard you will be rich one day and teach poor people to be independent of a master.
The crime stats from fbi's UCR reports absolutely show that there is a difference between poor blacks and poor whites. Black neighborhoods suffer from a much higher "violent" crime rate. It is at least in my opinion that the problems associated with in the black community need to be addressed with in the black community..

However I have to laugh that you suggest we begin to solve these problems by removing race as a focal point as if we have NOT been doing that...

Anytime race becomes an issue I can assure you it is predominantly brought up by the black community. The race card is dealt everyday in America on every level! All we have to do is look at the TM/GZ fiasco.

All these threads about race/ black community/ ect are because for the black community its all about being black!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
The crime stats from fbi's UCR reports absolutely show that there is a difference between poor blacks and poor whites. Black neighborhoods suffer from a much higher "violent" crime rate. It is at least in my opinion that the problems associated with in the black community need to be addressed with in the black community..

However I have to laugh that you suggest we begin to solve these problems by removing race as a focal point as if we have NOT been doing that...

Anytime race becomes an issue I can assure you it is predominantly brought up by the black community. The race card is dealt everyday in America on every level! All we have to do is look at the TM/GZ fiasco.

All these threads about race/ black community/ ect are because for the black community its all about being black!
Source of your data? i am not aware of any FBI data breaking things down by neighborhood and race.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Source of your data? i am not aware of any FBI data breaking things down by neighborhood and race.
I told you the source! FBI UCR... do want me to do the math to and present it to you? Crime reporting in the US had been broken down by race since I have been researching it!

I understand the defensiveness when I make a post like I did. I get it, people might feel I am a racist who is just looking to bring down a entire population of people. But I don't understand the ignorance to the facts. We can debate the cause, the solutions, even the perceived impact but is there anyone who can provide detailed factual statistical data WITH NO SPIN that shows otherwise.

The black community AND population has more violent crime then any community based on race! And maybe we are making a issue out of something that has been blown out of proportion.. idk? I saw one stat that showed like almost 7 times as many blacks are enrolled in college then are in prison.. there's a positive stat that we don't hear about.. I am all for having a discussion and even changing my opinion but it seems there is a divide in America about what is actually going on

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder,
and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely
than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and
Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of
the population that is black and Hispanic.
Interracial Crime
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving
blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Fortyfive
percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are
Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are
black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against
a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes
against whites than vice versa.
Gangs
• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs.
Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
Incarceration
• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139
to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39
million.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are
three times more likely.

The Color of Crime | American Renaissance

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Doncha just love it when white guys tell the "darkies" what's wrong with them.

Lord help me.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,087 times
Because the truth is always hard to accept.
It's always easier to blame someone else for your problems and keep demanding a hand out.
As long as the black community votes democrat, keeps on listening to people like Sharpton, Jackson and Obama, and other white liberal democrats, the black community will never move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I often don't agree with Bill O'Reilly. But his "Talking points memo" last night, was far-seeing, solid, and absolutely right.

He talked about race hustlers such as Sharpton, Jackson, Obama et. al. hijacking any honest discussion of race and racism, into just another insult-hurling purse fight.

Also talked about the real, basic cause of the present misery that so many blacks are living in now, especially young black people.

It is, he said, the destruction of the black family that has gone on, and gotten worse, for the last several generations.

And he supplies a lot of details and backup for his opinions.

A must-see.

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
America did this decades ago. You may have heard of "the projects."

Isn't this in direct contradiction to what you just said? How can people be independant of the master while living in housing built buy the government specifically for the poor?
Yes I have heard of the projects, the fact that they only compounded the problem means they were not a fix. Some plantation owners gave each worker a small piece of land whereby the laborer could grow a few crops and raise a little live stock. It was common for a plantation worker to buy his freedom. Where do you think he got that money? (A conservative estimate in today’s money is around $75,000) He got it by being self sufficient and selling what he could or applying a trade own his own time The goal is not giving poor people food and housing but self sufficiency.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-24-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies