Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Our community is over ten years old and has cluster box delivery - a decision imposed by the postmaster from the start.

I can report that the sky hasn't fallen.
As does mine, and my community is over twenty years old.

Having grown up in NYC where few people have their own mail boxes, I always thought it would be nice, in a "Mayberry" sort of way to have one, but, having lived now in areas where some people do have them and realizing that their mail is basically unprotected in their cute little boxes, I am perfectly fine with the clusters, or "hives" as we call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As does mine, and my community is over twenty years old.

Having grown up in NYC where few people have their own mail boxes, I always thought it would be nice, in a "Mayberry" sort of way to have one, but, having lived now in areas where some people do have them and realizing that their mail is basically unprotected in their cute little boxes, I am perfectly fine with the clusters, or "hives" as we call them.
What happens when you get a large package? Go to the post office? Or does the mailman bring it to your house? Also, what happens if you lose the key or the box gets broken or otherwise disabled?

Also, I wonder when and where the first cluster/hive was installed. My aunt's neighborhood had one. Her place was built in 1982 and the area is a bit older than that.

Edit: nevermind, found it out: "The Post Office Department first introduced curbside cluster boxes in 1967."

Centralized mail delivery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM

500 posts, read 375,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Then stop the Bush policy of prefunding retirement plans decades into the future in order to bankrupt the USPS then we wouldn't have this problem. Thank you, Republicans, for destroying the USPS and as a consequence, decimating rural America even more. Ironic
That's some pretty funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good grief! This proposal is how it has been in the city where I live for a couple decades now. You all are behind the times (LOL - the understatement of the week). Did you hear, the milkman doesn't come around anymore either.
Let's not leave out the ice man either. How many cities still have hucksters?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Let's not leave out the ice man either. How many cities still have hucksters?
Milkmen still exist. MilkManDelivers.com

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Milkmen still exist. MilkManDelivers.com
I am glad to see a PRIVATE enterprise doing well. Is this a nationwide enterprise or is it ONLY in a small area?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Under a new cost saving plan, newly built homes in the United States are no longer entitled to mail delivery to their homes; Congress is considering extending this to all existing homes in the future.

CORRECTED-For new homes, no more mailman at the door under U.S. Postal Service plan | Reuters
Uh, this is nothing new. I've seen this in many complexes.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I think the post office should be placed in charge of a new mission

100gbps internet broadband connection to every post box in the united states. Last "feet" completed by ISPs/etc

Their mission is moving data

and mail is outdated
No, it's not.
Many things can be done on-line, but not everything.
How are those packages getting to you?

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
What happens when you get a large package? Go to the post office? Or does the mailman bring it to your house? Also, what happens if you lose the key or the box gets broken or otherwise disabled?

Also, I wonder when and where the first cluster/hive was installed. My aunt's neighborhood had one. Her place was built in 1982 and the area is a bit older than that.

Edit: nevermind, found it out: "The Post Office Department first introduced curbside cluster boxes in 1967."

Centralized mail delivery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are bigger delivery boxes below the individual smaller boxes where larger packages are left. Each has a key that gets left in our personal box indicating that we've received something.
If the package is too big for one of those, then either they will try home delivery or leave one of those postcards in the box.

If I lose the key, I go to my central post office and ask for a replacement.

As far as broken or disabled, I believe that the post office would have to replace or repair the box(es).

Again, for me, this is really no different than living in an apartment building where we had banks of mail boxes in the lobby or a mail room with rows of boxes.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 07-24-2013 at 12:40 PM..

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Well, I don't the usps delivering at all....let UPS take the job if the state can't run their business efficiently.
Nothing precludes the use of UPS to deliver mail. All we have to do is pay for it. In fact, the USPS uses UPS and other private contractors to deliver the mail in some rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies