Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

Rural residents have been walking to the end of the driveway ever since rural Free delivery was started. Before that they had to go to the local post office. Too bad if new suburbanites have to walk to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why get rid of the post office? You know who would get hurt the most by this? Rural America, aka where "Real Americans" live. The costs to deliver mail and provide service to these locations would be unprofitable and/or prohibitively expensive. Most rural communities in the US still don't have access to broadband, for example. The USPS has worked fine for most people since its inception. Getting rid of it is only for ideological purposes, pure and simple
Since when is rural america 'real america'? That is one of the crazier things I have read in a while. Also, why do we need letter delivery when nearly all americans have access to e-mail? The post office is only constitutional to 'facilitate interstate communication'. Since we have that communication now through the internet, we don't really need a post office. Additionally, why it is a problem for delivery to rural addresses to be more expensive than to other places? If a person chooses to live far away from everyone else, they should absolutely pay a premium on delivery costs because of it.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Under a new cost saving plan, newly built homes in the United States are no longer entitled to mail delivery to their homes; Congress is considering extending this to all existing homes in the future.

CORRECTED-For new homes, no more mailman at the door under U.S. Postal Service plan | Reuters
Do they get a discount on their taxes?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Time to lift the monopoly and other policies that prevent private delivery.
Why are you consertative idiots so obsessed with privatizing everything? All that does is drive up prices once the government is out of the way. You do realize that our constitution states that one of the responsibilities of the federal government is to deliver mail don't you?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why are you consertative idiots so obsessed with privatizing everything?
I didn't say get rid of the PO, I said lift the monopoly and in addtion to that I would allow them to run themselves more like a business. Let them sink or swim. Certainly with the vast infrastructure they already have and no need for profit they should be able to bury any private enterprise. Right?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why are you consertative idiots so obsessed with privatizing everything? All that does is drive up prices once the government is out of the way. You do realize that our constitution states that one of the responsibilities of the federal government is to deliver mail don't you?
Hey, it worked in Iraq, so it ought to work here. Contractors charge the government reasonably, don't they?

If there's a rat in the room, it's probably a government lobbyist for providing services, but, that's how our government works, how else would we get a toilet seat that costs taxpayers less than $400.00?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/op...wed2.html?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I didn't say get rid of the PO, I said lift the monopoly and in addtion to that I would allow them to run themselves more like a business. Let them sink or swim. Certainly with the vast infrastructure they already have and no need for profit they should be able to bury any private enterprise. Right?
Say what you really mean coalman, you really mean bust the postal union, don't you?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
That is exactly what they plan to do. Their ideal is a business community that splits up markets and set prices without any annoying antitrust legislation or bothersome unions. They want a every man for himself except the business owners and Wall Street thieves.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Cluster boxes and post office boxes aren't so bad. The places where I've had cluster boxes have given me an extra opportunity to meet neighbors. Same with PO boxes. Granted they aren't as convenient as home delivery and means I have to make more of an effort to get MY mail. The really big issue, to me, with cluster boxes is keeping the area clean because some people are pigs and think it is just fine to drop their junk mail on the ground or if a trash can gets provided, it gets overflown. People who live in rural places are used to being inconvenienced for necessities. The other issue is there are people every year that we find out are sick, hurt, or dead because the postman notices the mail is piling up.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Then stop the Bush policy of prefunding retirement plans decades into the future in order to bankrupt the USPS then we wouldn't have this problem. Thank you, Republicans, for destroying the USPS and as a consequence, decimating rural America even more. Ironic
The law that mandated that the post office prefund retirement plans decades into the future was written by Henry Waxman, is he a Republican? In fact, Obama co-sponsored that bill in the Senate.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Say what you really mean coalman, you really mean bust the postal union, don't you?
If the USPS who doesn't need to profit cannot compete against private enterprise then the union needs busting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies