Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

I've read and heard this saying a few times today in various places including here on CD, basically the statement is that no physical item or possession is worth enough to kill someone for or take someone's life over. In it's simplest form I believe that most people say it meaning that if someone were stealing something there's no way they would use deadly force to stop them or "it's just a ____, let them take it, it's not worth shooting somebody over a ______".

For those of you who believe this and feel this way, what in your life is worth enough to kill someone over? What is your line in the sand? What would someone have to do in order for you to feel like killing them is justified? I don't mean you have to feel good about it, you don't have to love death, you don't have to agree with the death penalty, you can still value human life and you won't be called a baby killer.

What is your limit? What in your opinion justifies the use of deadly force?

This is all on a civilian level, I'm not talking about the police or soldiers fighting a war, just plain old folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Self-defense, defense of my family or friends if someone has designs on our life or limb.

The property thing is tricky to argue because normally if you have the power to kill someone, you would also have the power to retain your property without killing them, which would make the killing unjust. If there were no way to do so, which would be an odd exception, it's a much grayer area.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I have been forced to shoot a bad guy. He was a 6 time loser, and was wanted for 6 more crimes.

I don't think i own anything worth a life, except for the lives and well being of mine which counts my family.

So it would take a threat of heath for me to use lethal force on another. It would take lesser items for me to harm someone to the point they would be maimed for life. The best thing is to not screw with me.

I don't play well with others who have poor designs on what's MINE.

All notions of Parole should end. If you do the crime you should do the whole time. No Deals no parole for violent offenders.

I also think the violent offenders should pay a part of the price in pain. Like the guy 2 years ago that put out cigarettes on my 2 year old grandsons body at that time. He is now 4 and shy of men.

The bad guy is in jail, but I still think he should suffer pain as a part of his time. Time alone is not good enough a teacher.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I'm thinking I would not shoot someone for a theft of less than 20 bucks. Damn lawyer will cost more than that.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've read and heard this saying a few times today in various places including here on CD, basically the statement is that no physical item or possession is worth enough to kill someone for or take someone's life over. In it's simplest form I believe that most people say it meaning that if someone were stealing something there's no way they would use deadly force to stop them or "it's just a ____, let them take it, it's not worth shooting somebody over a ______".

For those of you who believe this and feel this way, what in your life is worth enough to kill someone over? What is your line in the sand? What would someone have to do in order for you to feel like killing them is justified? I don't mean you have to feel good about it, you don't have to love death, you don't have to agree with the death penalty, you can still value human life and you won't be called a baby killer.

What is your limit? What in your opinion justifies the use of deadly force?

This is all on a civilian level, I'm not talking about the police or soldiers fighting a war, just plain old folks.
That is really funny. So, essentially they are advocating just standing there(in your own home) and not
reacting to intruders (1 or more) breaking into your home or destroying your property ???? Raping your
wife, beating your kids, ect.ect ?

I would start shooting when the first window broke .........

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
That is really funny. So, essentially they are advocating just standing there(in your own home) and not
reacting to intruders (1 or more) breaking into your home or destroying your property ???? Raping your
wife, beating your kids, ect.ect ?

I would start shooting when the first window broke .........
I've heard people here say that kind of stuff, I'm just looking for details. I assume that if someone broke in and proclaimed that they didn't intend on hurting anyone that some people would just sit back and watch them pack. I'm just trying to get more info from that kind of person, that notion is very foreign to me.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Self-defense, defense of my family or friends if someone has designs on our life or limb.

The property thing is tricky to argue because normally if you have the power to kill someone, you would also have the power to retain your property without killing them, which would make the killing unjust. If there were no way to do so, which would be an odd exception, it's a much grayer area.
Circular firing squad logic there djacques. You might be right though..........

Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
It has nothing to do with the property, it has to do with stopping yourself from being violated, from feeling unsafe and not being the victim.

Thats like saying do you think a rape victim should just give it up and not defend themself, after all, its just sex.. No thank you.. Defend yourself and your stuff and go home at night feeling safe.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I'm thinking I would not shoot someone for a theft of less than 20 bucks. Damn lawyer will cost more than that.
But what if it happens 1,000 times? At what point do you say you've had enough?

Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
If a 12 year old pulled a gun on me and I had the time to get my gun out and kill him first that would be fine with me. You break in my house I have no problem killing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies